Author Topic: moving fish question.....  (Read 2550 times)

nickerbokker

moving fish question.....
« on: July 30, 2005, 02:45:02 pm »
hey yall....you know all about linkin and blinkin.  the drama that has surrounded them since, and the fact that they survived their fungus TWICE......

SO.  now i am moving, and im sure that with out the little red car making the trip....the big moving truck will take me a good 5 hours, or 6 to get there.  that means, my little fishies are gonna get stressed out (cuz their stupid), and i dont want them to sink, or float lol. 

WHAT DO I DO!  how do i move them.  what will NOT kill them?  anything? or are my fishies going to take the trip down the magical tunnel to the ocean?

help please!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: moving fish question.....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:38:58 pm »
We used to have salt water fish which we had to move a couple of times.  In addition to the suggestions above, we placed our fishies inside a large bag, inside an ice chest to keep them from getting too hot (without ice).  You can get a little more oxygen to them by opening the bag once during the trip.  Our fishies were okay for about 5-6 hours. 

Good luck!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 05:16:38 pm »
GOOD GRIEF!  Is Everyone Moving around the country while I have been running around like a crazy woman this summer???LOL  Where are you going to move to??? ::)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 05:26:46 pm »
fresno about a mile from jaime

movers come at 4 tomorrow!!!  wooohooooo

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:13:51 pm »
You didn't mention what sort of aquarium, so I'll assume a freshwater tank. If you can take the water with you that'd be the easiest.  if not just have some start-right or some other sort of dechlorinator.  They'll be fine for 5-6 hours.  Shipping fish generally take at least 24 hours, and they're just in bags in styrofoam coolers.  We've moved our fish a couple of times, the first time was african cichlids and we left them in the cooler several days with an air-stone, but ended up losing a few jumpers.  The last time was 4 reef tanks, and didn't lose anything but it was an all day event by itself.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”