Author Topic: This is why I love camping!!  (Read 4297 times)

lorim2

This is why I love camping!!
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:00:30 am »
I cant wait to start camping again this year.  I was looking through pics and found these...Two are outside and one inside my motorhome!!  Cant wait for Spring...

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love camping!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:12:09 am »
Those are great shots!!! How on earth he could be sleeping like that?
I love camping  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:24:43 am »
Cute!  Any tips on taking a first timer furry?  We tent camp and want to take odin but not sure how he will handle it (ie....sleep).  Tips?  We are not buying a camper so that's not an option. ;)
karma is kewl!

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:58 am »
Well Lanie and Marley both love it!  Now Marley really likes the camper when its real hot but otherwise we are outside. I think if I was sleeping in a tent I would put a window unit in the door area if its real hot at night otherwise Odin will hate it...and also I would put a bell or some other noise maker on any way out so I would know if anyones trying to escape!  Other than that I think he would love it....

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:16:36 am »
how stinkin' cute!!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:43:52 am »
How sweet.  looks like they are full of smores and tired from the campfire songs.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:39:00 am »
We LOVE camping...Kana has taken a bit of time to get used to it.  He is by nature a very 'aloof' or stand-offish dog.  We have taken him camping by ourselves and nighttime is very hard for him since he goes on "watch" and will not sleep. We compromised and let him off watch by having him in the cab of our truck with the windows a bit open.  He likes that much better since he can relax.
Most of our camping experiences have been stressful (it's a big, scary dog on the campsite!!)with him.  Strangers approaching saying "OOHHH, CAN WE PET YOUR PUPPY?" does not exactly work for him.  We are adjusting to that by responding to people, "NO, you cannot!"  "Will your dog bite?" we respond, "He may..."  He's been a great teaching tool for strangers on how not to EVER walk up on a dog expecting him to automatically accept you!!
Overall, as he has gotten older he has gotten better at staying away from the home.  We look forward to many more camping experiences with him!!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 06:45:15 am »
Here's some more pics
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:26 am »
Here is Lily guarding our site  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:53:19 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »
Cute!  Any tips on taking a first timer furry?  We tent camp and want to take odin but not sure how he will handle it (ie....sleep).  Tips?  We are not buying a camper so that's not an option. ;)

I, too, would love to go camping and I also use a tent. I haven't been in 3 1/2 years since Ratdog passed away. It just wouldn't be any fun without a furry. As hyper as Cody is right now I will just have to wear her out during the day so she will sleep during the night, I guess. The only thing I really worry about is her barking. She really likes to listen to herself. :^)
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:16:56 pm »
Adorable pics!

I love the one with Kana sticking her head out of the dog house,that is one beautiful dog!
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:14:16 pm »
I wanna go on a bpo camp trip (sniff sniff...pout pout)!!! And get busted!  :o)

Great advice so far.  I was laughing at the swaying in front of the tent because that would so be odin.  He will sleep ANYWHERE if worn out.  He isn't  hyper.  He is a big chicken (always has been) so my main concern is waking up with 200lbs of paw in my face!  LOL.  I never thought about the tether....that's a fantastic idea!  I will say Odin loves visitors so the 'can I pet your dog' routine is the norm and 9 x out of 10, the visitor leaves MARKED by a giant ball of smegma filled with love!  A gift for the newcomers....a s they walk off dry heaving!  You guys rock! 

Guess we have some fantastic camping trips coming up soon then.  Kids and all! 

Rat.....Cody loves to hear herself because she has such a pretty speaking voice and everyone else needs to hear it too!  ;) 
karma is kewl!

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:01 pm »
We'd be up for a BPO camping trip!!!   We work at a school so have a lot of long weekends during the summer! 

Keep us posted! ;D
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:43:18 am »
If it's a chair, no matter how oddly shaped or sized they are, they'll MAKE it work!
Rosie - Newfoundland

lorim2

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:15:17 am »
I also work for a school district...LEt s do a trip!!