Author Topic: Question  (Read 1368 times)

Offline klayfield

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:49 am »
I have a 5 month old Great Dane, Molly, who is currently in obedience training. Her first class was this past Saturday, I had already been working with her, she's very smart and catches on fast. My concern is that she seems aggressive towards other dogs, and at times people. There are 3 other dogs in our family, and of course she is the "baby" and has been put in her place a couple times. She's never aggressive towards her pack mates or family members. The instructor uses a squirt bottle of water when she misbehaves. Anyone have any suggestions on how to gently deal with this. I take her everywhere, so she is getting socialized.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:22 am »
How are you handling her when she behaves in an aggressive way? With our Akita we were taught to give a firm yank on her leash and SHHH her and say no in a firm, stern voice so that she knows that it is not ok to behave that way.
We only had to use it when she was around new dogs and I can say it worked for us.
I hope you find a solution.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:11:53 am »

I am also new to BPO, but have dealt with this some and I am currently in obedience training myself. The important thing that we all forget (I am guilty sometimes too)is that despite how you enforce the "NO" whether with a squirt bottle or yank on the lease, as soon as she stops the behavior (growling or whatever) immediatepraise is essential. Too often we get complacant with our "NO" response and if he/she stops we go on about our business without rewarding the good behavior. "NO" will loose it's effectiveness without the praise.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)