Author Topic: Training the abused mastiff  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Training the abused mastiff
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:11:19 am »
Hello,
we are working with a breeder on this case, but perhaps some of you who are more experienced could help us out more.  We have this 15 month old mastiff named Princess, she is hand shy, never been on leash, scared to death of leaving the house, scared to have her collar touched...in fact she dives to the ground when you touch her collar.  She weighs 200 pounds...well actually 170....she was returned to the breeder, and the breeder and i have been in contact about other things. SO...my question to you, have any ideas on how to help her out and become more confident? My plan was to work with her and the clicker. Clicker and target training.  What do you think?

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Training the abused mastiff
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
I would clicker but start by tossing food on the floor at least until she is comfortable with your hand approaching her body.  Also to start I would NOT touch her on the head or let anyone else either- always reach under their chin and rub them there as well as on the chest.  For leash and collar training I'm assuming that she has a straight collar (no choke)  Just attach a lead and let her drag it around for a few days.  Dogs that are this frightened also do best if you just leave them be and let them approach at their will  Constantly cooing and reassuring them only makes things worse.  They are thoroughly convinced that you were put on this earth to do them bodily harm and you constantly noticing them just proves that they are right.  It helps if you have another very social dog around to help integrate- called bridging- dogs learn a lot by watching other dogs.  I would like to strangle the person who had this dog during puppyhood!!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:42 am »
Actually it does  There was a great article (series) in the AKC Gazette called "Click to Win" and one of their examples was a dog terrified of being touched.  But besides that if a dog is seriously hand shy you do NOT reach for the top of their head but under their chin instead- that way they can see where your hand is at all time and it is especially pleasing to be softly scratched under the chin.  Also being hand shy you toss the food on the floor so again you are not reaching for her- she soon finds that the click means a goodie.  As soon as she gets the message you can then offer the food in your hand.  Just went through this with a dog and was under the advise of a behaviorist-it works!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:29:18 pm »
Cody was terrified of being touched, extremely hand shy, basically fearful of people in general, when we first got him.  He was taken from a horrible breeder situation, never socialized, never been out of a kennel, with lots of other dogs, chain collar grown into his neck, etc.  When we got him, I was determined that he was going to be a normal dog, if it killed us both.  I would back him into the corner and hold him still, in order to pet him, brush him, etc.  He only got to eat, if he took it out of my hand.  He had to approach me for what he wanted.  I went to him for brushing, petting, loving in general.  We had to herd him into the house, when he would go outside.  It worked perfectly.  Within a week of us getting him, he was greeting everyone, other than Joe and I, at the baby gate going into the kitchen with growls and snarls, barking like the world was ending, guarding my house.  He knew what he was supposed to do and figured out he was home, that quickly.  He will still startle, if you move too quickly to touch him, but he absolutely loves to have his cheeks scrunched up and rubbed now.  Loves to have the bridge of his muzzle, between his eyes rubbed.  He is not an overly loving dog and never will be, but he has certainly come a long way from the fraidy cat he was. I would simply treat them like a normal dog, and assume that eventually they will react accordingly.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:42 pm »
Zookeepers use clickers and whistles all the time to teach touch and other desense work for animals that are protected contact and for physicals for all other animals.  So it does work for tactile work you just have to remember not to push the animal beyond her comfort level or you will have to rebuild all the work that you previously had done.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience