Author Topic: Help with Tink's paw  (Read 2931 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Help with Tink's paw
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:45:04 am »
Tink has chewed all the fur off of one of her front paws. It is normally about 3 inches long and last night when I came home it was almost bare. This is the second time she has done this (the other paw last time).

I don't think it is itchy from dry skin. I give her fish oil supplements with her food and she doesn't seem to be "itchy". I checked her paw and it is not red or irritated.

Anyone experience this before? I am at a lost for why she did this. She looks like one of those parrots with anxiety issues that nip themselves bald (just on her foot though).

I put some bitter orange on it to discourage her from chewing but I just can't figure out why?

I gave her a peanut butter kong a few days ago and my husband said "maybe she had peanut butter in her fur", he was serious, but I don't think she would have chewed it bare.

I take her to the groomer once a month, for a bath if nothing else but she wasn't matted so that can't be it.

Again, I am at a loss. Any ideas?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Tink's paw
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:21:05 am »
I guess it could be boredom???? My husband is home during the day and leaves for work around 4:00pm and I come home around 5:30pm so she is hardly ever alone so I don't think it is seperation anxiety. She has plenty of chew toys and stuff to keep her occupied. If she gets bored she typically chews something of ours (shoes, socks, rugs, etc). No, I really don't think it is boredom either. Any other ideas?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:38:10 am »
You could try spraying Bitter Apple on her paws to discourage from chewing  :)
I can't tell you why she is doing it as I don't know why I chew on my nails too! LOL  ::) :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Tonda

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:23:26 am »
Does Tink have any yeast issues? I know that chewing on their paws can be a result of them itching due to yeast. One of my friends' Boxers has this problem (his paws turn kind of pinkish due to all the licking--kind of the way small white dogs get that yeasty-pink goo near their eyes--and then he starts chewing).

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:09:48 pm »
I was thinking fire ants but then realized that it's still winter everywhere else but here.  Shiner is the world's best at finding and sitting in or standing in a nest of fire ants.  Then he will chew on his feet and legs the rest of the night because those buggers hurt.

Maybe bug bites of some kind?
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:16:29 pm »
No help for you, but I am sending Tink some good thoughts!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding