Author Topic: Poopy Night Crate Training Assistance  (Read 9126 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Re: Poopy Night Crate Training Assistance
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 07:20:35 am »

How old is the puppy?

Three months old.   Thanks for the suggestions.  We are using a plastic crate att.  Which is will soon be to big for, so we may go to the wire one soon. 
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 08:01:12 am »
Hi MyDyson. Angus, who is just over 3 months old, had sort of the same problem. He sleeps in my front porch, which gives him more room to poo!! He got diahrrea as well and started pooing in the porch at night and then sitting and rolling in it. This happened for 3 straight nights. If I got up every 2 hours to take him out it was to late! After the 3rd morning I had enough. I didn't mind cleaning up the poo, but cleaning up Angus and the poo was getting to much every morning before work. The fourth night I slept in the living room with Angus tied to my arm and the fifth and sixth night I stayed up most of the night. When the diahrrea stopped the accidents stopped to!! The night I stayed up with him he had to go every 45 minutes it seemed and I just kept taking him out and praised, praised, praised with lots of encouragement and lots of treats.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 08:02:08 am »
DOnt get discouraged if he's only 3 mos. Lots of puppies that age just can't hold it all night long.

One other option for you is to get a BIG wire crate that will be large enough for him as an adult, and put his bed, etc in the rear of the crate, and a small potty area of newspapers in the front.

My middle pup could not make it through the night until she was about 15 weeks or so, and this really helped her. It did not hinder her housetraining at all.

Good luck.

:D

And YES< I would have the crate INSIDE the room with you if you are going to use it. He may be asking out and you just don't hear him in the night.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 05:48:39 am »
I only had one of these (luckily only one), but I did the whole 2 hour thing and I kept the crate next to my bed. Then I began to lengthen the time by an hour every so often, I slept like crap for a month doing this.... but it paid off.

smohr

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 10:54:30 pm »
 :o  :D Ang, those pics were unbelievable and hilarious.  I laughed so hard Petra started barking and woke up hubby.  He looked at them and gagged.    :D

Trust me.  I know your pain.  Sanity was on Antibiotics when I first got him and I woke up to this every morning.

Ang

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 03:12:17 am »
:o  :D Ang, those pics were unbelievable and hilarious.  I laughed so hard Petra started barking and woke up hubby.  He looked at them and gagged.    :D

Trust me.  I know your pain.  Sanity was on Antibiotics when I first got him and I woke up to this every morning.

Ang

So glad I could lighten your day!  :P
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

BabsT

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 04:08:25 am »
With both my LGD's they get no bedding, either one would elminate on it while learning to go potty outside.  Instread they get a 3" thick blocky dog mat, so if they eliminate in their crate, they are stuck with the mess because it is non absorbant

The other thing with both dogs is that they HATED, did i say HATED the plastic crates...zero would poop the second he went into one...I used the plastic one at first because it was a bit smaller BUT no way, they wouldnt use it

Maybe starting fresh, new crate, new surround the dog will have a more positive experience

The latest I feed it 4-5pm and the last chance to eliminate is between 10-11pm and my youngest girl is 17 weeks

what are you feeding and how much?...LGD's even though large dogs have slower metabolisms and dont need as much to eat

Good Luck

BabsT

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 07:12:50 pm »
How is the pup doing?