Author Topic: I've run out of excuses  (Read 8462 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
I've run out of excuses
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:09:52 pm »
I love Kentucky, she makes me smile and can be very cuddly, but I don't know what else to do to keep her from pulling and lunging.

I've tried harnesses, gentle leaders, haltis, The Dog Whisperer's Illusion Leash, and the pinch collar.

I've tried "eh-eh" and touching her neck like Caesar does when she gets excited and starts pulling.

I've tried making her sit until she calms down before going forward again.

I always make sure she comes out and goes in the door behind me.

First, I attributed it to the fact that she was a puppy, then I excused her for being a hard-headed teenager, but the excuses are running out and so is my patience.

She is fine on the leash unless she sees or senses some other life form in the vicinity.

I need professional help! What more can I do??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lookingfornewf

Re: I've run out of excuses
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:59:37 pm »
I think your last sentence answered the question. You need help. How about trying another obedience class. As soon as I have time that is what I am going to do with Clifford. I think he needs to be around other dogs more so it's not so exciting when he sees one. Good Luck.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »
Maybe start counter conditioning and desensitising her to other people and dogs around while looking for a trainer.  Take her to a place where she is a good distance away from people/dogs/whatever makes her pull and lunge and then when she doesn't react give her treats like mad until the thing goes away.  Keep doing this and then slowly decrease the distance between her and the object that she is reacting to over a period of time. 

I can sympanthize with you on this because Shiner does the same thing.  Unfortunately for my two I had just started looking for a behaviorist and then hit a financial slump.  So no trainer for us. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:52:40 pm »
I have to admit that I'm surprised that the prong collar didn't work.  That stops even Bulldozer Fargo in his tracks.

I agree that desensitizing is the way to go here while you find an experienced trainer. 

This sounds silly but I find that a really tiring play session before a walk helps to keep mine in line and focused when I need them to be.  I use this a lot if I know they're going to be somewhere with bunches of exciting distractions.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:28:50 am »
All good suggestions (per usual). :)

I finally started using the prong collar when Bear, in his excitement to get to the dog across the street, pulled me into a busy street almost causing a car crash. Not a good scene. The collar -- when used correctly (high on the neck, just behind the ears) -- plus a lot of 'good boy' treats, worked magic. The slightest flick of my wrist and my saying "with me" would bring his attention back to me and curb his enthusiasm. He was never able to 'play' with other dogs but walking was a much calmer and happier experience.

Don't fret. You'll find what works for your pups. In the meantime, know that plenty of us on BPO feel your pain. Hang in there!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

lorim2

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16:59 pm »
If you think its to big you can actually take one link out.  I have to do that with Marleys all the time..a little weight on and we add a link or two and then in the summer I usually take a couple out...Hope that helps!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:56:12 pm »
Your getting lots of good advise here..could I add since he is still a pup..try woking obedience in a place  without distractions with lots of praise..and treats if that works or a toy even..

A look at me command helps too..or eyes on me..or whatever you want to use to get his attention on you..

Even though I don't have a pulling problem in my house..no one eats without eyes on me first..that means eye contact..

It is a small thing but it creates big results..

the game *find my eyes * is good too..I'll send it to you if you PM me..it is a creative way to get and keep their attention on you..

Good luck and keep working at it,,it will pay off..

TATFK

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:14:56 pm »
I took some of your advice today. When I took 'Tucky out this evening, I put the prong collar back on and put it up high on her neck just behind her ears. It DEFINITELY gets her attention much better there, but I have a question - how do you get it to keep from slipping back down to lower on the neck?

Unless I keep it taught, which means keeping my elbow bent and 'Tucky close to my side, the prong collar slips back to where here regular collar would rest. Do you think I bought one that is too big?

Don't mean to steal your thread but wanted to thank you for posting and everyone who replied for the advice.  I had the same issue with Sophie's prong and will definitely be removing a link and using it higher up.  I didn't realize it was supposed to be so high up and hopefully this will help with her pulling too!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 03:46:37 am »
I don't use a prong but a martingale but the effect of the instant correction is the same...
anyway one thing my trainer has us do regularly is what she calls the "walking excersise". We do this for short bursts at every class and when Ruby was young and trying to drag me everywhere this really seemed to help (along with the other good advice you have gotten here about changing direction on a pull)
Anyway the walking exercerise is just taking some time to walk totally randomly with the dog with sudden changes of direction and speed. Yeah it does mean you wind up correcting them a lot but it encourages the dog to pay more attention to what you are doing.
Try going from a walk to a run to a stop and keep changing the direction you are going, add lots of praise for when you don't need to  correct and after the session, then go on a normal walk or whatever your routine is. You can add "sits" and "downs" during the excersise too so it is always a new pattern of activity to keep his attention.
Doing this a few times a week, maybe even 5 minutes a day for a while hopefully will help

Marion
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute