Author Topic: Picky Eater or Not Feelin Good???  (Read 6433 times)

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
Picky Eater or Not Feelin Good???
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:07:16 pm »
Hello All!
I am mom to two Saint Bernard, 7 month old male, Charlie and female, Lucy liter mates.  We have lots of experience with our giant babes, but never have had two at the same time and liter mates. 

My question is they have not been eating the past two days. I know Saints are always unpredictable about their feeding, but I am concerned. They have been picking at their food and have only consumed about 25% of their normal amount. Yesterday morning they didn't eat anything. Lucy is always persnickety and eats about 75% amount of what Charlie does. BUT the past two days they BOTH have been literally not interested.  It has been hot here in Denver, however I am worried. Thoughts about when I should hit the Vet button.  :)
Thanks as always
Renee and Mark
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Picky Eater or Not Feelin Good???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:58:10 pm »
I just wanted to say that our pyrs tend to go off their food a bit when it is hot.  My mother has 5 pyrs and bernese mountain dog and she has to make sure they are cool inside to get them to eat. Are they having any other signs of not feeling well, diarrhea or vomiting? I'm no expert in the least just wanted to let you know our big dogs have issues eating in the heat.  If they aren't even eating something they would usually go crazy over - you might want to go to the vets. They could have gotten into something...ba t poop got my jack really sick.... she's got better just fine though. Will be keeping good thoughts. :)

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:53:01 pm »
Hey,
Just wanting to know how your babies are doing? It is so stressful when they aren't feeling well.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
Thanks much for checking back...they are both eating the minimum.  No other symptoms, no diarhea, no vomit, nothing.  I think it's just hot and this is their first experience with days over 80 degrees.  I am keeping an eye on them...Thanks for caring
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:35 pm »
Oh I love your avatar pic! :)

I hope they are doing better. Do you have a room A/C you could try out where they hang out in the day, to see if cooling them off helps? We have a big window unit that does most of our downstairs...I've also seen the floor-type ones at Costco for not a bad price.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mary

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:48:21 pm »
yeah when i got my newfoundland the breeder told me he wasnt eating much and that his vet (her vet) said that it was due to the heat,

ehh but when he got here though he ate like a horse and he looks fat (though you can FEEL his ribs) so i dont know what she was talking about.....

:)