Author Topic: Messed up story  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Messed up story
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:52:54 am »
You know, just when you think you've heard it all when it comes to animal cruelty, you come across a story like this.  I read this on Drudge report this morning and the visions that come to my head are sickening.  Does the rest of the world just not care about animals as much as we Americans do?  The commercial fishing industry is going to destroy the Oceans and Rivers of the world and do horrible things like this in the process.  At least an obscure actress are trying to shed some light on it..... :'(

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050825/1/3ui77.html
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Icerotti

Re: Messed up story
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:57:01 am »
That makes  me sick. Who would even dream that up---some sicko.

Blair

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 11:57:53 am »
That makes  me sick. Who would even dream that up---some sicko.

I would have to agree with you >:(

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 11:59:17 am »
OMG that is one of the most distgusting dispicable thing I have ever heard of. I am litterly sick to my stomach now.
Rachael and Spike

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 11:59:43 am »
OMG! That's awful! I'm sad for those poor puppies & kitties. All at the same time I'm so mad. What the h**l are thos people thinking. Apparently they're not. AAAHHHH!!

Offline daynakb

• Gnawer
  • This is Klaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 12:22:44 pm »
Some people are so heartless!  Although, in light of another post about a certain "celebrity", it's nice to see that there are responsible celebrities out there that use their status for a good purpose!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:51:45 pm »
Some people are so heartless!  Although, in light of another post about a certain "celebrity", it's nice to see that there are responsible celebrities out there that use their status for a good purpose!

True, more celebrities should be using their public status to bring an end to things like this and Whaling and the seal hunting rother than things like Scientology.  But this story in particular is just so sick, almost as bad as the story I read last year about some sickos in Arizona that were Duct Taping kittens to Hwy. 10!  It's always the children, be it humans or animals, who are preyed upon by sick cowards.  :'(

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 12:54:22 pm »
Ah, the French! What more can they do to p--s off America?
I like French food, i.e. French Toast, French Fries, French Bread, French Dip Sandwiches, etc., etc.
Being an older gentleman? I have always been infatuated (Lusting After) with Brigit Bardot.
To see her make this stand renews my faith in the French people.
Now if the French Canadians would learn to speak the language, that would be cool, eh?
Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

dohertyswissy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 12:59:34 pm »
That is simply horrible!!  I feel sick to my tummy.  Poor things.  It never ceases to amaze me what people will do in the name of haute cuisine.  >:( 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 01:04:32 pm »
UGH!!!!  This is just gross!!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:34 pm »
I'd like to use those men as bait and see how they feel, @ss%^$##!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 02:32:14 pm »
What I don't understand is how someone can live with themself after doing horrid things. I don't know why there has to be so much cruelty in this world, stories everyday, most times I just cant listen or read about it.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 08:05:07 pm »
I am so mad! I would like to use that fisherman as sharkbait  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 03:02:27 am »
That is probably one of the sickest things I have come across lately.
It's terrible.

I'm going to go a little into this because I feel it's important to know--not trying to offend anyone--
But please dont place all of our commercial fishermen in the same category.  Our life depends on fish up here.  Our comercial fishermen are trollers, long liners, crabbers and shrimpers.  They do NOT damage the earth.  They are limited with what they take and how they fish it.  They are also very seperate from the trawlers and the draggers.  Now those two, trawlers and draggers are the ones damaging the ocean in a major way.  They pretty much dredge the bottom of the ocean and pull of nets and nets, thousand upon thousands of pounds of sea life and sort out what they can and cannot use.  That which they cannot use which in most cases is over half, they throw back into the water.  It is already dead.  And the area that was dredged...it will take many many years to replenish the life that was once there.

I know many don't agree with whaling, but up North it is imperative as is seal hunting.  It isn't a commercial industry.  It is a livelyhood.  The villages up north are snowed and frozen over and do not have grocery stores like many other places.  One whale can feed an entire village and every part of that whale is used.  And culturally, they do have respect and they do limit themselves.  Same with seals and other marine mammals.  Some of us eat beef, chicken, pork and such.  Some of us eat just vegetables, and some of us eat what is available.  Up there, it is a whale and seal.

It is abused in some areas of the world.  Most agreed.  Even the natives far up north can see the bones of abuse wash ashore from whaling in international waters and it is heart breaking for them. 

So please, don't place people who do abuse in the same category as those who don't.

No fisherman that I know of would ever think of doing such a cruel and horrid thing.  If it is a problem over there, it needs to be stopped.  That is just appalling.

Luv.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:37:40 am »

But please dont place all of our commercial fishermen in the same category.  Our life depends on fish up here.  Our comercial fishermen are trollers, long liners, crabbers and shrimpers.  They do NOT damage the earth.  They are limited with what they take and how they fish it.  They are also very seperate from the trawlers and the draggers.  Now those two, trawlers and draggers are the ones damaging the ocean in a major way.  They pretty much dredge the bottom of the ocean and pull of nets and nets, thousand upon thousands of pounds of sea life and sort out what they can and cannot use.  That which they cannot use which in most cases is over half, they throw back into the water.  It is already dead.  And the area that was dredged...it will take many many years to replenish the life that was once there.

I know many don't agree with whaling, but up North it is imperative as is seal hunting.  It isn't a commercial industry.  It is a livelyhood.  The villages up north are snowed and frozen over and do not have grocery stores like many other places.  One whale can feed an entire village and every part of that whale is used.  And culturally, they do have respect and they do limit themselves.  Same with seals and other marine mammals.  Some of us eat beef, chicken, pork and such.  Some of us eat just vegetables, and some of us eat what is available.  Up there, it is a whale and seal.

Luv,
That was what I was trying to say earlier and I wasn't including all Fisherman.  I love fishing.  My wifes uncles are fishing guides up in Alaska:

http://www.rodnreal.com/
http://www.alaskanfishing.com/

They tell me on a regular basis that the big commercial fishing companies are destroying things up there.  There are less and less Salmon and Halibut every year and it is getting really bad.  They were some of the first fishing guides on the Kenai peninsula and now there's hundreds of companies.  There are strict laws and regulations put into place just so there is some salmon to be fished.  They play by the rules and line fish but the commercial companies have deep pockets and they continue to rape the Ocean.  As for the whaling, if it were limited to the Inuits and the indigenous people of the North it would be OK.  But the Russians and Japanese continue to kill these animals at a disgusting rate.  I've read the stories and seen the pictures and videos.  I really believe we will see the Whales disappear from the planet if things aren't changed.   Then there's the whole shark fishing issue which is just as bad.  And aside from Inuits who have lived this way for thousands of years and do it in a eco-friendly manner, I don't really buy the excuse of living so far away from society that you have to kill seals for their fur and meat.  I know it was a thriving business at one time, but it is so unneccesary now.  Seals are killed primarily for their fur, and with all the synthetic alternatives now it seems pointless.  In my opinion, it is an unacceptable excuse to say "I live so far away from society that I have to kill these animals to survive."  No one forced you to live there, I have to believe there are alternatives.  Most non-tribal people have freezers,  so instead of killing seals for food, one could keep enough meat of animals that are specifically raised for food for a year. This is like the Bush Meat issue in Africa.  Hundreds of Apes and Monkeys are killed every day because the indigenous people claim that is the only way they can survive.  That is just insanity and is a crime against the planet.  There are alternatives!!!!  Sorry if I seem insensitive but that's my opinion, educate me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 12:30:06 pm by Newf Lover »