Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina brings me a miracle!  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Hurricane Katrina brings me a miracle!
« on: September 02, 2005, 07:54:48 pm »
My dad just called me and gave me some incredible news. The local newspaper in Omaha, NE did a story about my sister and how she lost everything in the hurricane (she lived in New Orleans), can't get back and is now going to Omaha to regroup.

During the story, she mentions me and how I narrowly escaped the hurricane, etc.

Well, my best friend from 5th grade through graduation read the story and called my dad. This may not seem like a big deal to anyone, but let me give you the back story.

Tracy and I were inseparable from 5th grade to the day we graduated. We kept in touch constantly during college, but after college started to drift apart, although we still kept in touch regularly. When I got engaged, I fulfilled our pledge that most best friends make in high school and asked her to be my maid of honor.  I last heard from Tracy about 2 days before my wedding. She never showed up and I never heard from her again. My sister swears she saw her in the airport as she was flying up for my wedding. I know nothing desperate had happened to her on her way to my wedding because her mom sent me a card after the wedding and didn't say anything.

I tried to contact her once and let her know I wasn't angry, just wanted to talk to her, but never heard back from her. I have dreams about running into her all the time and have tried to track her down, but couldn't. I got goosebumps and started crying when my dad told her she called. I would always ask them if they had ever run into her in Omaha.

Now, she called them! She is married now and lives in Council Bluffs, Iowa and - get this - is getting into pet rescue just like me!!

I emailed her right away and demanded that she call me, I expect we'll be on the phone for hours. I can't wait to talk to her.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Katrina brings me a miracle!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 07:58:29 pm »
Wow - there's a silver lining for you.  What a small world.  Keep us posted!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 06:13:54 am »
We haven't spoken in 10 years - almost exactly - my anniversary is Sept. 9th.

What is really weird is that I remember when Tracy and I were in high school, her mom was reunited with her best friend from high school after about a 10 year separation because of a radio contest.

I can't wait to talk to her, but it's tough getting through to our phone service right now. It's driving me crazy.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 09:23:25 am »
Have you been able to speak to her yet today? This is great. I reunited with my friend from HS after abput 20 years so I know how you are feeling
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 05:33:30 pm »
Jeanne, that is wonderful.  Small miracles, huh?   :)
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 08:07:34 pm »
That is so fantastic. I am so excited for you and your friend. I hope that you find the answers you have been waiting for all of this time. Miracles- such wonderful things!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
I am happy for you that something good has come out of this. I hope that things work out for you and your friend rekindling your relationship.

Truth be told, I'm also really curious why she didn't show up for your wedding even though its none of my buisiness  :-X
RIP former BPO