Author Topic: Very Important Calendar Notice  (Read 10260 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Very Important Calendar Notice
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:25:48 pm »
I don't think we mentioned it in the beginning but all calendar photo entries need to be sent in as it's raw format in it's highest resolution format available. This is needed for print as images optimized for the web simply won't print well in a large format. Basically, anything over one megabyte is what we're going to need.

Please send all images to jabear@gmail.com as soon as you can.

I appologize big time for not letting you guys and girls know this sooner and I hope everyone has their originals. If you don't, talk to Jaime about replacements.

Blair

Re: Very Important Calendar Notice
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:41:12 pm »
Ok how do I know if the pics I sent are big enough? The one I really want to stay in the contest is 35.7 KB (36,623 bytes), is that too small if so how much bigger do I need to make it. I admit I am slightly confused lol
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 05:43:08 pm by Blair »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 05:42:28 pm »
Ok I'm confused. Now I'm not very picture savy, but don't you think it should be the resolution instead of size? None of my pictures are that big. Now I could recompress the pic, but it won't look has good. What is the size of the calendar? What format should it be in (gif, jpeg, bmp)? That would also have to do with the size. Any other advice?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 05:44:55 pm by Tajsa »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 05:51:56 pm »
None of my pics are that big, either.  And I don't have the originals, at least not for the pics I sent.  I would have to pick something else.   :P

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 06:24:51 pm »
I know you guys...I am sad too. I also apologize to all of you.  :( I didn't understand the size thing either so we might have to postpone the calendar until December.  ???Then, everyone will have more time get the pics entered and take new ones if you want. We will still have time to vote and get it printed before the new year. So, that might be the way that we want to go. What do you think?  :-\
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 06:42:48 pm »
Let me explain a bit more:

Images for the web are published at 72 dpi (dots per inch - resolution) and usually have dimensions in pixels for instance 300 x 200 pixels.

Images for print are published at 300 dpi, a much higher resolution needed for a quality print. Anything less than that will come out fuzzy and blurred. Additionally, that 300 resolution image needs a larger dimension more often measured in inches i.e. 4x6, 8x10 etc.

It is impossible to take a picture formatted for the web and blow it up into an 8x10 print photo as the image will become blurry as the resolution deteriorates. That is why we need the photos to start at a high resolution - i.e. straight from say a 3, 4 or 5 megapixel camera - with the photo taken at it's highest resolution. Many older cameras and most cell phones take photos at most a 800x600 pixel 72 dpi resolution, which wouldn't make the cut. Photos for the calendar are going to be much bigger and need a resolution like 2272x1704 at 300 dpi - or better. Sometimes cameras give you quick options like normal, fine, superfine etc. Superfine would be an example of a high res image shot.

Specific answers to your questions:

Blair and Tajsa, 35.7 kilobytes is far too small - great for the web but not for print. Even if you did print it, to get a good quality print would be smaller than a wallet size picture. When I mentioned having images large than one megabyte, I'm giving you an idea of simply what a correctly formatted picture would appear as in file size. 35 kb wouldn't work. 1 mb+ definately. Recompressing pictures is exactly what you don't want to do - we need the original file - uncompressed - in its most raw format. The size of the calendar is going to be a standard calendar size and we can manipulate the files a bit in the end so I don't want to draw a line and say you have to meet it, because I can work with the images a bit.
The image format should be in whatever native format your camera provides; jpeg, raw, tiff, etc. Gifs are not photo quality formats - and most camera's don't produce gifs. So gifs are a no no.  So to recap on this, no compressed pictures - uncompressed straight from the camera.

ZooCrew: I appologize for not making this announcement sooner - sometimes I just assume that everyone knows this stuff and then I realize I just made a big mistake and caused a bunch of problems. I am super sorry - to everyone. Essentially, you would indeed have to pick a different photo - we may have to back track a bit.

Please please forgive me everyone! It's totally my fault but will help you all out as much as I can. If I haven't cleared something up, just ask - again I will do my best to help you.

Michael

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 06:50:52 pm »
Then instead of the two pics I'll only have the one.  The ones of Araby and Hobo are on our other puter which is broken and I cen't get in there for the originals.  I can post the one of Sanity tomorrow.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 06:57:36 pm »
Thanks Micheal that's what I needed to know. Are we going to be able to resubmit pictures?

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 07:29:39 pm »
I know you guys...I am sad too. I also apologize to all of you.  :( I didn't understand the size thing either so we might have to postpone the calendar until December.  ???Then, everyone will have more time get the pics entered and take new ones if you want. We will still have time to vote and get it printed before the new year. So, that might be the way that we want to go. What do you think?  :-\
Jaime, Do you still have the pic of Samson with the tulips?...The 1st one I sent you before I changed my mind?...I think that one & the one of Pippin in the pool are over 1 Megabite but I will check.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 08:54:08 pm »
If we have our original do we have to resubmit it in the huge size? I have my original huge pic (5 mega pixel camera), and intended to send it if it is chosen, but emailed  a shrunken version to make the email/posting easier just for the contest.
RIP former BPO

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 09:15:33 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to let us know who needs to resubmit?  Or were all the submissions too small?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 09:45:00 pm »
I re-sent my full size photo. It's only 605kb.. But it's 1280x960. Will that work?

Oops actually come to think of it. I think I did originally send the full size photo. Was it not big enough?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 09:49:25 pm by Lyn »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 09:54:26 pm »
I re-sent my photo with the full size attached.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 10:12:37 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to let us know who needs to resubmit?  Or were all the submissions too small?

That would be great if it's possible. :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 10:36:22 pm »

That would be great if it's possible. :)

Ok....let me look and then I'll tell you who needs to resubmit the pics. And again, I apologize to everyone. I feel terrible because I didn't communicate with Michael well before we began the contest. Sorry.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.