Author Topic: Cowboy's new trick.....arghhh!  (Read 7080 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Cowboy's new trick.....arghhh!
« on: November 27, 2005, 08:10:43 pm »
As most of you know, Cowboy, our big Landseer has been on anti-seizure meds for most of the time we've had him.  He's doing SO well (no seizures since June!) that he's being weaned off phenobarbital which has been so sedating for him.  He's waking up!  BIG TIME!  He's starting to act like a puppy - 150 pound PUPPY!!  He's waking up at around 4:30 AM and wanting to play!!!  He runs, as hard as he can, at the side of our bed and hits it with his chest to wake us up...it's felt like a 7.0 earthquake the past few mornings!! EVERYTHING shakes!!!  Of course it wakes Chester and the two of the them start rolling on around on the floor like two dinosaurs roaring at each other.  Cute, but it's 4:30am!!!  Any ideas????  WE ARE EXHAUSTED!!!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Re: Cowboy's new trick.....arghhh!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 08:18:27 pm »
Only thing I can say is play the heck out of him before bed, it is really cold and snowy here right now, mine go out and run run run for a few hours then SLEEP like the dead!  Although yesterday was an ice storm with freezing rain and when they went out it was to go skating instead!  I was worried they would hurt their jpints. LIterally no solid footing, I went out to try and get to my vehicle and ended up on the ground with no way of standing it was so slick, had crawl slide to the van and use the door handle to pull up!  I am suprised it didn ot snap right off!  Good Luck!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:01:24 pm »
Ouch!!! I can't even imagine.  We think it's getting cold here....mid - 40's is the low!  Guess I'll stop whining!!!  I just got back from taking them both on a long ramble off lead on the horse trails.  Hopefully they'll both sleep all night!!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:11:53 pm »
I wish that were the case here!  That sounds like a dream!  Right now I am not sure I will make it outof here to work tomorrow, I called the road manager as we are township and not county road so we are usually last to be cleared out or salt and sanded like the other well travelled roads.  They said mabye today, but now on top of the ice we are expected to get up to 10 inches this way and its blowing nad drifting like mad.  School was cancelled today, and I imagine probably tomorrow.  My hun spent all day cutting more firewood.  I think we have plenty the basement is really full, and our basement is 1300 sq ft!  He thinks we need more says its goingto be a real "BI***" of a winter.  He should know, I was a transplant, he came from here.  SO we are bundled up, and teh kids and dad are outside in this stuff snowmobiling! 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 09:19:17 pm »
I'm jealous!  Where are you?  I am in Kentucky.  We always get the big talk of snow,but rarely get any big stuff and I do love it so!  I am a home health nurse and love trekking about in the snow to see patients!  Not sure what to say about the 4:30 am stuff.  Webster is still waking us every 3 hours!  At least he will go out to pee, then come back in and USUALLY go right back to crate and to sleep. Good luck tonight.
Karen

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 09:22:31 pm »
Horray for Cowboy! I'm so happy to hear that he is getting wild over there.  ;D And yes, a bit sorry that you have a mac truck waking you up so early.  :D On the bright side though, at least he is just hitting the bed and not squishing you evermorning at 5 a.m. I get a 155 lb. boy on my legs and belly every morning when it is time to get up.

I wish I could be of more help Mari but enjoy it and relish in the fact that he and Chester can now rough and tumble all the time! 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 09:34:38 pm »
Thanks Jaime...I really am happy he's getting so much better and it's all good news...except at 4:30am!!  I'm giggling about Bear getting on your bed!  Thank heavens Cowboy hasn't learned to do that!!  Chester puts his front legs up and tries to get in but the bed is just a little too high for him....THANK HEAVENS!!! 

I guess I'll just check in with BPO and see what's goin' on on the East Coast!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 09:35:44 pm »
lol, i say drug him again!  DRUGS!!!!!!!

no im kidding.  like my dear jaba said, enjoy it!  my favorite thing about cody is how crazy he gets...gotta hang onto the good stuff while it stilll lasts!
NICKI

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 09:37:15 pm »
HEY!!!  I KNOW!!!  I'll send the left over pheno to you, Nikkers!!!  Think how calm and happy you'll be!!!  OR YOU CAN GIVE IT TO WANGUS before you go on walks!!!  YIPPEE!!  We've solved BOTH our problems!!!

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 09:47:32 pm »
holy crap~i'm in!  send them right away!  RIGHT AWAY!  ANGUS NEEDS DOWNERS! 

bad news, i'm only in california for 2 more days....change of plans, im moving again!  SO UPS THEM!  NOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

thank you  lol
NICKI

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 09:58:52 pm »
Mari - As you know we have also been reducing Tucker's Phenobarbital and have been experiencing much of the same.  The good news for us is that Mack and I get up at 3:30am.  During the day Tucker has been a different dog and we have only cut his PB by half so far.  Our biggest problem at this point is trying to keep him from going all crazy with zoomies; he also has hip dysplasia and at night pays the price.

We have found that if we don't take our pups out and play for at least an hour between 3 and 6pm they will play inside for double that.  Needless to say I would much rather have them playing outside then in.

I'm so happy that Cowboy is doing so well.  Paws crossed that the monster continues to stay away.

Cindy

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 10:03:24 pm »
bad news, i'm only in california for 2 more days....change of plans, im moving again! 

Wait!  Wait!!!  What's happening??? Where are you going??  You're going to make Brad chase you all over the country?  All over the state wasn't enough????

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 10:06:21 pm »
The good news for us is that Mack and I get up at 3:30am.

Okay...enough whining for me for the day!!! 3:30 am????  HEAVENS!!!  It's black as black out at 3:30...I know because it's no lighter at 4:30!!! 

It is fun to see these special beasts get to act like dogs again!!  I love it!  and we've NEVER seen Cowboy do the zoomies before....and the does them now with Chester!  He's not falling any more and he can go on the trails with us.  It's all good....just maybe at 6:00am!!!

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 01:54:28 am »
I am so fortunate that Dazy and Ladybug have both adapted my sleeping pattern.  The earliest Dazy wakes me up now days is 8:00.  :D  I am a major night owl.  She has adjusted! YAY!

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 02:09:57 am »
more phenobarbital