Author Topic: **** This is a MUST read!!! ****  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
**** This is a MUST read!!! ****
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:03:12 am »
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words... This is a GREAT blog/article.  I recommend that everyone reads it!

http://sanityshome.blogspot.com/2005/11/day-127.html
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: **** This is a MUST read!!! ****
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 11:04:41 am »
SANITY IS MY NAME!  I HAVE A COPYRIGHT ON IT!  AND IT'S PATENTED!

I just checked, I had the name first.  So she has pay me royalties!  MUWAHAHAHA
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:10:28 am by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 11:36:21 am »
Great picture!  One of my Pyrs went to Westwind Training as the owner had gotten a grant to teach child safety around dogs.  She ended up being the demo dog and they went all over the place with this educational program! 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:27:59 pm »
I think it is a great article.  More people should be concerned with child safety around animals, especially dogs.

Personally, I think it should be a class taught at every school.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:44:57 pm »
good read.. but the
"Not sure if I would choose the tug of war game. Why did you choose that as the means of interaction?"
question rings true to me. blogger's answer doesn't seem very satisfactory & someone else wrote :
I believe Woodhouse also wrote that tug was fine as long as the dog and person both knew it was a game.

we ARE dealing with dogs here right? They're s'pose to know it's a game and not an exercise in dominance? yikes!!! it'd be SO easy for that dobie to overpower that 2.5yo boy, and just wreck his life forever...

as another concerned commenter wrote:
Personally, I neither play tug with my dogs nor trust them with children unitiated to dogs, nevermind combine the two
and I tend to agree with him instead, i don't play tug w/ me doggies. when someone attempts to play tug, they're taught to drop it, or else they get a good kick in the behind. (no, really, j/k!)

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 02:57:45 am »
I do teach my dogs, if they are so inclined,  to play tug-of-war for several reasons. One is it is good for their muscle development. It teach they how to play at different levels of intensity with different people. My dogs play excessive hard with me but gently in playing the same game with my wife or a small child. It is great fun.
I do agree that children need to learn to be with dogs and other animals. That is why I do some teaching when I introduce the kids to the dog and I always tell them both what to expect from each other and only if I trust the kid do I let them play. I trust my dogs. Of course I keep my eyes on them both all the time. Can't have the silly kid making my dog look like the bad guy. Of course they more the see each other the stronger the trust should become and the happier and safer we all are.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:20:45 am »

we ARE dealing with dogs here right? They're s'pose to know it's a game and not an exercise in dominance? yikes!!! it'd be SO easy for that dobie to overpower that 2.5yo boy, and just wreck his life forever...

as another concerned commenter wrote:
Personally, I neither play tug with my dogs nor trust them with children unitiated to dogs, nevermind combine the two
and I tend to agree with him instead, i don't play tug w/ me doggies. when someone attempts to play tug, they're taught to drop it, or else they get a good kick in the behind. (no, really, j/k!)

Sorry,  but I think the paranoia that surrounds "playing tuggie" is rediculous.  If someone chooses to not play it with their dogs, then fine.  But saying its horrid and then painting everyone with the same brush is never a good idea. 

I've taught my dogs to play tug and also to drop asap.  Its good for their muscles, its a great reward and a fun bonding game.  The fact that this responsible woman was teaching her PUPPY and the little boy to play it appropriately is awesome. 

Teaching by doing is how dogs and small children learn.  They don't learn how to do something by just not allowing them to do it. 

JMHO  I think this woman is doing a fine job and is no was endangering the child.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.