Author Topic: my dogs jump on everyone!  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
my dogs jump on everyone!
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:19:41 pm »
I have been fortunate enough to bring my puppies to work(a frame shop/gallery) and they have been very well socialized and they LOOOVE people! I have tried to be consistent in their training but unfortunately some of my customers encouraged jumping and they have not learned it is wrong. Well, Luke is seven months now, and can easily put his paws on my shoulders. This is no longer "cute"...he is knocking people over! I keep them in the back with a gate but I really want to solve this issue so they can be out front again.
I'm not too late am I?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

k2campbell

Re: my dogs jump on everyone!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 07:29:54 pm »
I'm no pro - but I would definitely say no - you are not too late at all! 

Kate jumps up on people too.  Yes, it is cute (but) no it's not at the same time.  Because we taught the "Down" command for lay down, we are using "Off" for the jumping.  She also puts her front paws up on the kitchen counter to see what's cooking - we use "Off" in this instance to.

The other thing we've done, is cross our arms and look away from her when she jumps up (completely ignore her).  This actually even works better than the "Off", but it's hard to teach everyone else she jumps on to do this!

Kate will be going to obedience in the new year (at 6 mnths), we're hoping this will help also...

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 07:52:06 pm »
If done correctly, this is a very effective cure for jumping, but it is harsher than ignoring and not for everyone. I have used it with great sucess with both dobermans and danes. The behavior you see on my avatar is by INVITATION ONLY, with it's own command. If not invited my dogs know to keep their feet firmly on the floor.
When your dog jumps on you, or person of your choosing, quickly bring your knee up and bump their chest before their front feet hit you. Bump hard enough to interupt their momentum. It will knock them off balance, and ultimately end the behavior.
Stella

Offline anapap

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:52:50 pm »
What I do, is I strap a leash on before a training session or when I know there will be a situation that will elicit jumping.  I step on the leash so that when they jump, they are pulled down by the leash.  I may also say "ech" and give a firm look, but I keep my hands completely off the dog.  This is how we taught our dogs not to jump and now, even if people invite them to jump, they won't. 

After a few exercises, we test the dog by asking them to jump and finally by taunting them with food in order to jump.  They learn that if they jump - the leash pulls them down.  If they stand there (for the show dogs) or sit (for the pets) they get the treat. 

The knee to the chest is actually very good, and I don't think it's mean, unless you do it hard.  I just put my knee up and twist my shoulders to the side.  Turning away is a natural way of telling the dogs not to jump.  I do this with people's dogs who don't listen very well, so that they don't kill me.  If I have to, I will put my knee up because them hitting my knee is a lot better than my stomach.

Best to you in your training,

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:00:06 am »
I used the same method as Stella did when I trained Feste (brindle dane).  It does work very well.  Again like Stella, my avatar is an invitation-only event, and he is only allowed to do it with me, something he knows very well. 

Another thing that has helped with the jumping on other people that I have done with Feste and am now working on with Chance (mantle labra-dane), is the command 'Gently'.  I can walk up to either Chance or Feste with a dripping t-bone in my hand and say 'gently' and they will stand fairly calmly and take it gently from my hand when I offer it to them.  Feste has also learned that this relates to meeting new people, as well.  If I say gently when we meet people, he knows to not jump or run up to them.  Chance is starting to learn this part of it.  Feste's next step with this will be in meeting other dogs. 

I taught them 'gently' with food 1st.  Put them in a 'sit' with a treat.  The treat should be something they like but aren't totally nuts over to start with.  While they are sitting, place your stronger hand under their chin to prevent them from lunging at the treat.  With the other hand bring the treat to him, saying 'gently' at the same time.  It only took about a week  or so for Feste to get this, Chance about 3 weeks (he's much more energetic and enthusiastic - lol). 

Hope that this might be of some help to you.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Loretta

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 02:02:31 am »
Yamon isn't much of a jumper but my friend's dog, Ferris, is and I didn't want him showing Yamon bad habits not to mention scratching me or getting me dirty and mortifying his parents.  I stopped him using the knee up method and the fly paper technique.  This is where as they jump at you you catch their front legs firmly but gently and not let go meanwhile not looking at them or giving them any interaction.  Eventually they want to go away but can't because they are stuck.  The whole senario lasts only a few seconds. I think it's important to follow with a positive interaction down at his level.  Now when Ferris comes running up to see me he knows I'm going to bend down and we'll have fun on his level becuase there's no fun above at my shoulders.  I found this was more effective than just the knee up method becasue Ferris is stubborn and clever and he would just take it as a game and try to jump when I wasn't prepared, or jump on my back. 
That's my experience with jumping. 

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 07:54:53 am »
Loretta
I just love Yamon. She is such a beautifull baby.

As for jummping up. Judge has never done that THANK GOODNESS. I know that the holding the paws for a few seconds works quite well. My Dad has been doing that for years with his dogs and they learn quite quickly that jumping isnt allowed.
GOOD LUCK
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 03:13:12 pm »
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! I realized that instead of training them not to jump I have just been staving each jump off as it comes. Time for doggie boot camp!   ;D   
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge