Author Topic: How do you stop a huge puppy from pummelling the cats?  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
How do you stop a huge puppy from pummelling the cats?
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:28:42 pm »
Maggie's now almost 13 weeks old, and she still thinks that the cats are chew toys! :-\  She chases them down at every chance she gets, and rather than playing with them, she plops down on them and tries to chew on them! :-[  The younger cat hardly ever gives her the chance to do that to him- he sees her coming and shoots off somewhere, anywhere, but always out of her reach.  The older one (he's two) wants to play, and keeps giving her a chance, but she screws it up every time.  I try to intervene and calm her down and make her sit and smell and just look at the cat, but the second I'm not there she attacks.  How do I teach her to not eat the kitties? ???
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:34:39 pm by Maggie's Mom »
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How do you stop a huge puppy from pummelling the cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:44:21 pm »
Do they cats have nails? I find one with nails do a great job of teaching pups all on their own when they have had enough.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:51:15 pm »
Yeah, I've said that so many times to my husband- "If they just had nails, one swipe and she'd leave them alone."  But no, they are front-declawed, so they can't teach her a very good lesson. 

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:23:20 pm »
Maybe I'll try the squirt bottle, although the cats aren't going to like that very much ;)  I've tried yelling NO, clapping my hands and trying to spook her, and grabbing her leash and pulling her back (she currently is wearing a leash at all times, it just drags on the floor unless I need to use it!), but to no avail.  The squirt might work though.  Thanks.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:25:09 pm »
Sorry, the only thing I know of is to have an old experienced cat whale the tar out of em.   ???
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:33:57 pm »
It's pretty funny right now, b/c Simon (the 2yo cat) lets Maggie play with him and come close, but if she gets too close, Simon just sits there and knocks her in the head over and over again.  It's funny since he's not hurting her, and since she's not hurting him (yet, anyway).  He looks like a boxer or something, with these side-swipes and quick slaps! :D  I just don't want Maggie to keep thinking that she's not getting any bigger and that she can still sit on them or chew on them for long.  She's putting on like 5# a week now, so she doesn't even know her own strength!  I don't even know anyone with older cats that could teach her a lesson either.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 06:25:08 pm »
Since the cats can't teach her then you need to teach her the "leave it" command and use it everytime she looks at them.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 06:34:27 pm »
I use the squirt bottle set to stream not mist.   I can hit the dog and avoid the cat.
Works great.
Good luck.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 06:42:52 pm »
I agree with the "leave it" or even teaching her to "be nice" along with the spray bottle when she starts getting too rough.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 07:28:55 pm »
I taught mine the "leave it" command and the "spit it out" command.  One was before the cat goes in the mouth and the other obviously after the cat is in the mouth.  Of course my cats also have claws so that helps.  But I have a water gun and that has better range and accuracy over the squirt bottle.   So if you are in the kitchen and the dog has the cat in the living room you can do a sneak attack.  ;D  Hope that helps.

Kat

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:57:55 pm »
Forgot to add:  I've read about training leashes that are only like 6 inches to a foot long.  Easy to grab and correct but don't drag on the ground getting wrapped around things.

Yes, they are called Tabs and are popular in agility training http://www.affordableagility.com/tabs.htm

I would use a long 15-25 ft light weight check cord while she is still learning the leave it. This way you can stop her from a distance. If you always have to go to the dog to correct her she will just learn to run from you. Dive on kitty....oh here comes Mom... almost here... run...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 07:59:09 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 08:10:57 pm »
Forgot to add:  I've read about training leashes that are only like 6 inches to a foot long.  Easy to grab and correct but don't drag on the ground getting wrapped around things.

Tina

I have one I use with Nee all the time.  Moni got it for me, but I think it was a horse lead originally?  They have them in all different sizes, types and matierials.  Mine is made of nylon and has a little loop at the end.  I can probably fit two maybe 3 fingers in it.  A friend of mine has rope ones that have knots at the end. 

There's also a version called a Traffic Lead.  It's pretty much just a big loop.  So you might want to look those up too.
http://www.ldsleather.com/leashes2.html#traffic
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:14:05 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

chaosndestruction

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 12:57:46 am »
I'd let you borrow my cats for a day or two if you were closer! Priss would teach her a lesson!

enuffpaws

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 11:56:31 am »
spay bottles are good but squirt gun is better more distance and accuracy. ;)

dale

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 12:36:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the ideas.  Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here, my puters broken and I can really only do this at work on Thursdays and Fridays.  I'm gonna get a gun, (I mean squirt gun ;)) soon, and hope that helps.  We are working on the Leave It command, and she's doing OK with it so far.  I'm sure it'll be fine, I just feel bad for the kitties!