Author Topic: treats for training?  (Read 8074 times)

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
treats for training?
« on: December 25, 2005, 12:09:42 am »
does anybody know of a particuliarly good treat to give your newfie to train him with?
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: treats for training?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 12:27:58 am »
Im not sure about newf puppies but I have been using regular little milk bones for my Dane puppy and it seems to be working great! He gets a half of one for a pee and a whole one for a poop! As soon as he comes in after, he runs right to the treat jar, so I think he's catching on quite well! Good luck, I hope this helps!
cuttles

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 12:50:27 am »
thanks for the tip

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 01:27:06 am »
Pet Botanics Rolled meat is their absolute favorite
I have 2 very very good dogs when I break some of that stuff out... they like it better than anything. I just slice off some pieces and cut it into cubes.  I am not brave enough to taste it myself, but the stuff smells really good.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 01:27:53 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 02:10:20 am »
where can you buy botanicals rolled meat, thanks brandon

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 02:14:32 am »
We found it in the treat section at Petsmart.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 02:15:39 am »
BTW,.... Welcome Aboard Mrpuppy!

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 02:17:52 am »
and thanks cuttles,I haven't decided yet

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 02:23:27 am »
thanks brandon, wonderful to talk to fellow newfie owners,because I believe you have to be in the company of newfies before you begin to understand what a rare soul you have found!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 11:26:27 am »
Lets see......

Hobo will eat/steal anything even if it's not edible (As evidenced by the fudge explosion of '05) BUT, if we give him hard treats he just carries them around, and doesn't eat them.  He loves Bill Jac Liver Training Treats.

Araby will eat anything people related but she'll part the red sea for Kraft Yellow Cheese.  And yes she does know the difference.  Unfortunately :(

Sanity..... is a treat snob.  People will give him treats and he'll spit it back out and won't look at them (As in the people) any more.  He's a challenge to be sure.  However, he LOVES those Yip Yap breath mint things and these treats my secret Santa Jenn gave me "Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Meatball Treats" Cheeseburger flavored.  ( www.grandmaluc ys.com )
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 12:48:26 pm »
reply to jacksmom,be verrrrrry!!!carefulllllll!!!!!about feeding them chocilate chip cookies,I nearly killed bear accidentally about 4 months ago this way,they contain a chemical called theobromide which will cause them to go into shock and die, the closer it is to bakeing chocolate, the more theobromide,and chocolate chip cookies are baked!!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 04:09:33 pm »
Although I do not have a newfie (yet??...) My dobies and danes will do sommersaults for freeze-dried beef liver treats. I use them exclusively for training because they are small, dry (so not messy in my pocket bag) and very light, so the dog doesn't get too full. It is really a matter of finding what works for each individual dog, and don't use for every occaision so the treat is never..."Ho hum...this again??"
Good luck!
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 05:46:25 pm »
reply to jacksmom,be verrrrrry!!!carefulllllll!!!!!about feeding them chocilate chip cookies,I nearly killed bear accidentally about 4 months ago this way,they contain a chemical called theobromide which will cause them to go into shock and die, the closer it is to bakeing chocolate, the more theobromide,and chocolate chip cookies are baked!!!

It doesn't have to do with the fact that the chocolate is baked.  It has to do with the concentration of Cocoa.  ie:  Bakers Chocolate has a VERY high concentration of cocoa (And not much else, hence the bitter taste).  I found a chart I had book marked.

List of 4 items

. White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes
250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog,125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately
one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of
a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two
one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog. list end

(Take from http://petcaretips.net/chocolate-poisoning-dog.html )

We once had a 40 pound Cocka poo that ate 15 pounds of Hershey Kisses (Wrappers included) and did nothing but puke them up the next day.  My little tubbo Hobo ate about 2 pounds of fudge (And a paper plate) and had the runs in a bad way.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest feeding chocolate on a constant basis, but it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was when I was growing up. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 08:38:40 pm »
Sardines!!! They are messy, stink and you can't carry them in your pocket, but my newf Angus will do anything for a piece!! They are my attention getter treat, then I switch up to lamb's lung or dried liver and when he loses focus I slip in another piece of sardine!!

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 06:56:34 pm »
Not only is the chocolate bad, and potentially fatal, but my vet has a list of stuff to never give your pet and Macadamia nuts are on there, like #2 (as is chocolate).  Be careful!
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)