Author Topic: Good comeback  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Good comeback
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:47:15 pm »
Does anyone have a good comeback for "You got a saddle for that thing?"  Sorry but the comment is driving me nuts.  Most times I just smile and say "no, she's not big enough yet."  :P

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Good comeback
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 12:51:28 pm »
I wish I did. Unfortunately dumb comments like that are common place for our big guys so i guess get used to it. Smil and play along and take it as a compliment because the big dogs are so unusual to see out and about.

I do make people laugh though when they ask "How much does that thing eat?" I sometimes will say "Just one small child".  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:52:01 pm »
I hate the saddle comment too. The first time I heard it, I laughed. But after a million times it gets old. I usually just shake my head and tell them no. While rolling my eyes. LOL So I need some help in the comeback department too.  :D

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:47:26 pm »

Do you have a saddle for him?
Try "Yeah, I used to but he ate it."

Does he like children?
"Yes, why are you missing one?"

What do you feed it?
"Miracle Grow"

and my favorite:
Why on earth would you want a dog that big?
"If I have to explain it, you will never understand."
 Stella

Blair

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:50:19 pm »

I do make people laugh though when they ask "How much does that thing eat?" I sometimes will say "Just one small child".  ;)

My husband says the samething with our guys lol
For the sadle comment, I am so use to it, that half the time I just keep walking and totally ignoring that person LOL

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:54:48 pm »
GR8DAME,

Those are terrific comebacks, I especially like the one about the children. Mine isn't quite as big as yours, but I still get "he's a horse!" and things like that.  I personally get so tired of hearing "why does your dog have a muzzle?" because he wears a Halti when we walk him.  That is my biggest pet peeve. >:(
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:55:24 pm »
Usually I'm good and ignore it, but a while ago I got PO'd and said "No, do you have a paper bag for your FACE?!?!?!"
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:00:15 pm »
Those are all good so I'll have to try them.  I've started ignoring the "Oh my god look at the size of that dog!" comments.  (What till they see her when she's full grown!)  I tried to take my daughter sleigh riding yesterday with Boo and all of the sudden we had a group of people around us just gawking at our poor Dane!!  Well, at least she's getting some really good socialization  ;D and I've been able to inform them that no she's not in fact a large vicious dog, just a large goofy one.  Oh and we always get the Halti comment too and it drives me nuts!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 02:05:11 pm by Boobearsmom »

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 02:57:41 pm »
I personally get so tired of hearing "why does your dog have a muzzle?" because he wears a Halti when we walk him.  That is my biggest pet peeve. >:(

Don't you just hate that! 
I've said....
"Last person who thought that was a muzzle lost his hand.  Wanna test it?"

BTW.....LOVE the Halti/Gentle Leader.   

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:06:02 pm »
my3dogs,  LOL!!  That is great!!  I will have to remember that one--and I love the Halti too!!  It's the only thing that has worked for us so far.  We tried a harness around his waist, and he got to where he could pull me down, he's just too strong now.  I'm going  to try the Gentle Leader though,   because the Halti sometimes pinches Hershey's eye a little bit.  I do love the way it works though!!    :D
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 03:06:06 pm »
Well, at least she's getting some really good socialization  ;D and I've been able to inform them that no she's not in fact a large vicious dog, just a large goofy one. 

Oh, don't you just love that? I can't stand it when I take my dogs out in public - especially to PetSmart - and people ask "will he bite?"  I always say, "now, why would I bring a dog here if he would bite?" Do I really look that stupid??

Although, when children ask that question, I always thank them for asking first. At least they are not rushing up on them assuming that's OK behavior.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 03:06:42 pm »
I personally get so tired of hearing "why does your dog have a muzzle?" because he wears a Halti when we walk him.  That is my biggest pet peeve. >:(

Don't you just hate that! 
I've said....
"Last person who thought that was a muzzle lost his hand.  Wanna test it?"

BTW.....LOVE the Halti/Gentle Leader.   

-Wendy

Yup we get that comment too. I usually just ignore it, or say it's a Halti same concept as what a horse wears. Then the light bulb goes off in the dim heads  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 03:20:28 pm »
Well, at least she's getting some really good socialization  ;D and I've been able to inform them that no she's not in fact a large vicious dog, just a large goofy one. 

Oh, don't you just love that? I can't stand it when I take my dogs out in public - especially to PetSmart - and people ask "will he bite?"  I always say, "now, why would I bring a dog here if he would bite?" Do I really look that stupid??

Hate to say it but with all the stupid people out there that have dogs that bite and DO bring them to Petsmart (The ACD that attacked Nee last time is burned into my brain), I think that's a reasonable question to ask. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »
That is why the chain is called "PET smart" not "People smart" For the saddle coment I always look and say

"Oh crap he fell off, now how am I going to find another jockey"
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 03:43:22 pm »

Hate to say it but with all the stupid people out there that have dogs that bite and DO bring them to Petsmart (The ACD that attacked Nee last time is burned into my brain), I think that's a reasonable question to ask. 

I taught my daughter to always ask about petting a dog first especially since a Pit tried to take a chunk out of Boo recently at Petsmart.  The guy had the nerve to look at me and say "Geez, he's never done that before".  And I totally agree about it being Petsmart and not Peoplesmart.  I may also have to "borrow" the jockey comment, I really like that one ;D