Author Topic: Why use a crate?  (Read 6903 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Why use a crate?
« on: January 11, 2006, 11:06:50 am »
Forgive me for asking, but what are the reasons for crating a dog. I have never used a crate, so am generally interested. With all my dogs I have left them free to roam although they are restricted to the rear of the house. I always make sure anything chewable that shouldn't be chewed is removed and accepted that it was my fault if it got chewed. They were left with plenty of toys to play with.

In addition I have always accepted that accidents happen and usually find that it takes about 4 weeks at the outside before they are house trained - both my dogs go to the back door and woof if they need to go out. I have always however allowed for the expense of getting the local carpet cleaner in to do the carpets every couple of weeks while they are house training. If I catch a dog chewing something it shouldn't it gets a firm NO and given something it can chew, if it continues, it gets a No and put outside and ignored for 20 minutes (Newfies do not like being ignored).

To me both my current dogs are quite happy without a crate. At present Bell sleeps outside in her kennel - she asks to go out to bed about 10.00p.m. and I won't see her again till morning. Hovis on the other hand sleeps inside on the floor (I suspect when I go to bed this changes to the couch although I havn't caught her yet) Hovis is a bit of a wimp though,  her coat is thinner than Bells so she may well enjoy the central heating. I expect in summer both will sleep outside.

This brings me back to the original question, why use a crate? what are the advantages? does it benefit the dog?

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Why use a crate?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:10:27 am »
We had this exact same convo a little while back.  :)  Here's the link if you're interested.  Alot of good answers on both sides.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,4705.0.html
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:15 am »
Thanks I'll have a look

Andy

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:24:00 am »
It really depends who you talk to. I have crate trained all of my dogs. They go in the crate when we are at work, both for the sake of my house and for their own safety and security. This lasts until they are about 18 months to 2 years old. Then they have free run of the house whether we are home or not. Their crate is also their safe haven. If they are in their crate, my children are not allowed to bother them. It was more of an issue when my kids were younger, but the rule applies to the other dogs in the house as well. I have a very active house, with kids and family and friends in and out constantly, and their crate is the one place my young dogs can go to be secure. Once they have outgrown the need for the crate, it is dismantled and put away till the next little family member arrives. It is not unusual for Merlin (4 YO)or Raven (10 YO) to sneak into Strider's cage for a little snooze in the evening. If they get caught, Strider gets mad. He will cry, whine, bark, get in the cage and prod and poke until the intruder leaves in disgust. Then he will curl up in his house with a satisfied look on his face.
I like crate training, and I think my dogs like their crate too.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:30:59 am »

I've just re-read that whole link and it seems like the is difference based on the breed of dog.  The higher energy dogs are crated to be kept safe and out of trouble.  The lower energy dogs, like Newfs, have a tendency to be fine left on there own most of the time.  When I leave the house, Cowboy and Chester have the run of the place...with a Newf-sized doggy door.  They are usually draped over the front steps of the house when I get home...and there's never been anything chewed or ruined.  I think we're just lucky!

Mari

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:37:07 am »
They are usually draped over the front steps of the house when I get home...and there's never been anything chewed or ruined. I think we're just lucky!

You are lucky Kali was a beaver and chewed all of our woodwork which was why we crated her as a puppy.  We've always crated our dogs when they first come home for the comfort thing and it became a time out if they were misbehaving.  But after their potty trained or past the chewing stage they get the gated off section of the house (kitchen, hallway, guestroom/reading room, bathroom).  And they get the rest supervised.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:43:56 am »
Our puppers are on an earned privilege program (95% comes with age).   If the pupper can handle 100% run of the house unsupervised then they get that priviledge.   Chew one thing that is not a toy or soil indoors and they find themselves quite limited until that trust is earned again.   

There is also crating when there is illness for obvious reasons.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 12:01:49 pm »
Kali was a beaver and chewed all of our woodwork

What's with the wood chewing thing?  Both Cowboy and Chester will chew branches, pine cones, bark.  Maybe Newfs are part termite?  Neither one has ever gotten sick from it but I do see the remaining bits when I clean up after them in the "potty" area.  :P

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 12:13:45 pm »
Kali likes to put things in her mouth which is why she remains supervised  ;D.  In the past week I've pulled a bow from a xmas present, a treebranch, a woodchip, a sock, pieces of plastic, and probably more that I'm forgetting.  I think it's a case or oral fixation.  And half the time you can only tell by her behaviour if she has something in her mouth cause it's so big.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:19 pm »
Well, I've looked at the previous thread and had great fun looking at this one, it's certainly a subject for debate!!

I can now see pro's and cons for it on both sides. I guess I'm lucky having a newf only household, they are so laid back. After the puppy stage they seem to settle. I'm a bit like newflover in that I have a courtyard at the rear of the house with a building just for the dogs so they get the run of the rear of the house plus the courtyard. I can't see the need for considering a crate in my situation but I'm sure with more hyper dogs it could be a blessing.

Andy Bell & Hovis

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:32 pm »
I think Newflvr made a good point about the high energy dogs being crated. Farley is still crated when we go out. Mainly b/c he would find something to get into trouble with.   I have been leaving him out for about 20-30 min. When I go to pick my daughter up from school. He has been doing really well.  I crate him for his own safety too.

Once he matures I am hoping  we will not have to crate at all. He is no longer crated at night. He sleeps in our room and does really well.

I have only crated some of the rottis while they were puppies. Usually only when we were out-just for thier own saftey.

Puck has never been crated. He is so mellow. ;D He was around 1 yr old when we got him. ;D

I think crating comes down to the individual dog and its personality ;)

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 01:18:30 pm »
This is what I woke up to the one night my son did not put Strider in his crate to sleep. The white bits on the floor are the remnents of a box of kleenex...what he did not ingest, anyway, that was on top of a 5' entertainment center.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 01:21:49 pm »
This is what I woke up to the one night my son did not put Strider in his crate to sleep. The white bits on the floor are the remnents of a box of kleenex...what he did not ingest, anyway, that was on top of a 5' entertainment center.

I Fully sympathise, its amazing how much stuffing they put in soft toys. ;D

Andy, Bell & Hovis

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:51 pm »

This pic....awwww.. .....I shouldn't  grin....but... .look at his little cute face.....maybe he needed a tissue 'cause he missed you soooooo much.......

OK...I'll look at the pic again in MOM-mode...."BAD Pupper!  BAD!".

AAwwww.....I can't even fake it!
Look at that face!!! How can ya not just kiss him?

He's adorable!!!

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 03:53:05 pm »
i find that the crate also makes my pooper more welcome in othe peoples home when visiting if we are spending the night somewhere i can put her in any aceptable room in the house and she feels safe and at home for the night just cause i don't mind doggie slobbery in my bed (well i do actually but there realy is no helping it) but neither my mom or my in-laws apreciate it so when we go to visit a crates a must.