Author Topic: Obedience Class – 1st Session Success!  (Read 2168 times)

k2campbell

Obedience Class – 1st Session Success!
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:30:39 am »
Kate did so well at her 1st session of obedience last night, I am so proud of her!  She’s already a pro at heeling, she loves it!  She kept her eyes on me the whole time – gosh – I’m such a proud momma!

She does lack skill in one area though.  When we come to a halt (and our dogs are supposed to sit beside us on the left), Kate sat – but her sit would soon turn into a lay-down (without me asking her too).  She was hot (the hall is ridiculously warm), tired (she got SO excited to see all the dogs when we first got to class) – overall she just didn’t want to sit for me.  Why sit mum, when I can lay down?  Ha ha – it was funny (and) provided comic relief for the rest of the class…  ::)

We’ll keep working on it.  I’m so excited though – I really like this (and) it was a GREAT workout for me too!  I was sweatin’ my arse off!  It's hard keeping up with a long dog like Kate being 5ft 2"!!!  If Kate turns out being good at this, I may actually consider competing in obedience trials with her.  Not travel, just when trials are happening in our area.  How fun would that be?!

Cheers all!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:32:22 am by k2campbell »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Obedience Class – 1st Session Success!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:32:38 am »
Congrats!! What a fun evening!   I love it when the big guys sort of melt down at every opportunity!  I'm sure Kate will continue be a star!!!

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:49:37 am »
Good job Kate!  We love obedience...it's a great way to bond w/your dog.  Jinx really enjoyed it too.  We are planning to start competing this summer (if it works out, 3 kids, the youngest is only 1 can sometimes pose a problem :)...
Best of luck to you and Kate...you'll be a great team and do awesome things!!
Sami & Jinx
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 12:06:11 pm »
Isn't it great when they finally "get it"?  Good luck with the rest of the training, it will make life so much easier for you and your dog.  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:42:03 pm »
Yay Kate!  Way to go! :)

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:14:12 pm »
I'm so glad to hear that it went well.  Wish Dazy and I luck as we start tomorrow evening.  Dazy does the same thing as Kate does.  She sits and then just melts into a big black blob on the floor.  So I'm sure it will be interesting for us too. lol   Anyway... way to go Kate!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 07:10:52 pm »
Way to go Kate!! Angus loved going to obedience class, it was his favorite day of the week. I wish you continued success and most of all FUN!!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 07:23:16 pm »
That's great!   She had fun and you had fun!
Awesome!!!
Hope you'll update us after the next lesson too!
It's always fun to hear about the progress made.

Good job Kate!
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your "best of lucks" and "keep it up"!  We're very excited for the next class (and) I'm so happy Kate likes it (so far, anyhow)!  THANKS AGAIN!!!  ;)

Newflvr - YES - I also just love how our big dogs melt down too!

Newf Lover - YES - it is SO great when they "just get it"!  I'm super-pumped!!!

MommyOfSchnauz ers - I wish you and Dazy best of luck, I'm sure she'll do great and you'll love it!  Let us know how it goes!

Sami & Jinx - WOW, that's excellent - I hope it all works out for you to compete!  Keep us posted!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:17:30 pm by k2campbell »