Author Topic: is fumble being picky? or is something wrong??  (Read 11581 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
is fumble being picky? or is something wrong??
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:17:40 am »
hey guys i have a question.. i know i posted a thing about snausages the two days ago.  fumble got horrible runs from them and really didn't have any ambition to eat his food.  yesterday, he barely ate any of his breakfast and i gave him 2 cups of food for dinner and scarfed it down. i gave him a little more (he usually eats 4 cups twice a day) and he wanted nothing to do with it.  this morning i gave him 2 1/2 cups, and he only ate like 2 cups.  is he just going through a little growth spurt and doesn't want to eat?? or do you all think i should call the vet.  i feel like i'm always calling them about the smallest things and i wanted to make sure i got some other takes on this one before i run back!  :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: is fumble being picky? or is something wrong??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:19:51 am »

I might wonder about pancreatitis. If he does not return to normal quickly, a vet trip is in order.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline wrknnwfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:56:13 am »
Are you saying you are feeding a total of 8 cups per day. If so, that's way too much food as a rule.
Jane, Hugo, Piper...
and Yogi (waiting just beyond)
Heart of America Newfoundland Club
http://www.hanc.net
Lickskillet Dog Training
http://www.lickskilletdogtraining.com

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 10:02:31 am »
Well, if he got the runs from the treats, then I would say his tummy is still upset.  If he doesn't settle in the next day or so, yeah I would take him in or at least call.  Remember too, sometimes they just go off of feed for no real reason.  Shouldn't last for more than a day or so though.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 10:02:36 am »
Hi,

Is this a one time thing, or is Fumble going lengths of time without eating? If it is a once and a while thing and he goes back to eating then it is just a mood thing don't worry, leave the food out and he'll eat it when in the mood.

If he goes a 2 days or more without interest in food then call the Vet. Just like us Humans sometimes they just don't feel like a meal.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:09:37 am »
I'm a woos about sick dogs.  I always call the vet.  They've never kicked me out yet and in 20 yrs there have only been 2-3 false alarms, once when dog barfed on the way over and felt better after.  Better safe than sorry.  Pancreatitis can kill.  If you're brave enough to take his temperature, you'll likely see a bit high temp if it is pancreatitis.  Usually a fair amount of pain.  You can try feeding some white rice and chicken or hamburger for a day or so if he seems to be feeling ok otherwise.  If he acts like he doesn't feel well with it, I'd call the vet.
Daphne

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:37:07 am »
i'll try the hamburger and rice!! i'll go get some for him for dinner..  it's funny because he's very interested in his food when he first gets it, he eats like 2 cups and then has enough of it.  or at least thats how it's been for his dinner yesterday and then his breakfast this morning.  he eats his treats when he comes in from "going out" fine.. and seems pretty normal to me.  i'll give it another day and then if he's still the same way tonight and tomorrow morning then i'll definately call tomorrow!! thanks all! :) 
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:53:34 am »
I hope he feels better soon.  Kali would ocassionally not want to eat but we give her 2.5 cups of Eukanuba(she was getting fat  on 3) a meal.  Generally it was morning when she was still tired.  I think it may be a result of the snausages he might be a little leery of eating after that.  I agree with waiting a day or two for the vet unless he gets worse and shows other symptoms.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 10:56:49 am »
I hope Fumble is feeling better soon! :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 11:31:29 am »
I hope that Fumble feels better soon too. I know that Bear can be picky like that too and when we were picking his permanent food out, he would get really excited about something at first then refuse to eat it. Now that he is with his forever food he get something yummy added to each dish (like peanut butter sprinkles, or a little meat, etc) It helps to keep his interest in eating up and his tummy happy!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 06:10:39 pm »
UPDATE: fumble ate the boiled hamburger and rice!! ate it right up! sooo it's not because he's not hungry.. i think we've got a picky eater on our hands!  :P poor boy's just gonna have to learn!! lol

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 06:50:38 pm »
 poor boy's just gonna have to learn!

Maybe the food he's eating is upsetting his stomach....may be he's trying to let you know it's just not good anymore.  After reading the "Bones Would Fall From the Sky" I have a whole new outlook on what the dogs are trying to communicate to us.  The author used the food example (all of a sudden refusing to eat to find out that the old food was upsetting the dog's stomach).  It's just a thought.

Maybe getting some small bags of a couple of different foods and see which one Fumble likes best.  Chester HATES kibble....we've been through probably 10 different varieties and he will sort of pick at Natural Balance allergy formula better than any of the others.  He also gets some meat mixed in so he'll eat a bit more.  He eats MAYBE a cup in the morning and a cup and a half in the evening.  (He's almost a year and almost 100 pounds, if it's any guideline).  He also will go off his food and refuse to eat at all at least once a week. :-\   

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 06:54:53 pm »
How old is Fumble?
Roxy is doing the same thing!!
She will NOT eat JUST dog food anymore.
We have to mix at least a half cup of boiled hamburger to her food dish or she just looks at us like...HELLO!!! I THINK YOU FORGOT SOMETHING!!
We tried to give her just dog food for 2 days and she would sniff it, take literally like 2 kibbles, spit one out, eat one(probably because it was stuck in her flabby lips) and walk away in disgust like we awere trying to feed her dog food or something!
O.K. ...we were! ;D
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 07:47:25 pm »
How old is Fumble?
Roxy is doing the same thing!!
She will NOT eat JUST dog food anymore.
We have to mix at least a half cup of boiled hamburger to her food dish or she just looks at us like...HELLO!!! I THINK YOU FORGOT SOMETHING!!
We tried to give her just dog food for 2 days and she would sniff it, take literally like 2 kibbles, spit one out, eat one(probably because it was stuck in her flabby lips) and walk away in disgust like we awere trying to feed her dog food or something!
O.K. ...we were! ;D

fumble is just 6 months old.. he definately liked the boiled hamburger. i'm thinking that i'm going to have to start adding that to his food.. give it a shot... i also try the same as what Bear said, peanut butter.. and the breeder gives their puppies cottage cheese too, so i know that he likes that as an additive as well...
he may be questioning my food choiceS! it is a great idea to get a few little bags of new food and trying that.. if he keeps on refusing the dry food i will definately try that! thanks for the tips! 

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 08:00:37 pm »
Having read through this discussion I have to say that I feel Fumble is fine, I can see that his human training is coming along nicely :D

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!