Author Topic: Newfs and hardwood floors  (Read 2787 times)

Offline ilovenewfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfs and hardwood floors
« on: February 05, 2006, 05:50:07 am »
We have a rescued Newfoundland named Dallas.  Right before we got her we had new hardwood floors put into our house.   She seems to think that they are slippery and she has scratched them badly.
Does anyone know of any industrial sealer or something like that that we can put on the floors to protect them from further damage? :-\

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newfs and hardwood floors
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:39:03 am »
I don't know about sealers but the best thing to do is put down some non skid rugs so it's easier for her to get up...not that she'll necessarily lay on them but it's a thing to try.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:03:38 am »
I know at pet stores they sell a paw balm that helps them grip better.  I also have wood floors so i undestand this really seemed to work with me until they got used to walking on the floor.  I hope that helps
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:55:33 am »
I have to agree with chaos!  I have runners every place that the Newfs go so they don't slip.  It's easier than worrying about them! ;D

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:50:51 am »
You're fighting a losing battle!  We had Brazilian Cherry floors put in this last year and Drake has carved major grooves in it.  We put down beds and rugs and make him lay on them, but he seems to insist on laying right on the floor.  The worst is when he hears some animal outside and will try and get up as fast as he can and just shreds the floor.  I can just hear it now, his flailing paws scratching big, white semi-circles. You just need to be vigilant and make sure your little girl lays on a bed or a runner or carpet.  Hardwood floors, as beautiful as they are, are going to be scuffed, scratched, and dented no matter how hard you try to prevent it.  Just do what you can, and then after a few years you will have to resurface them.  What kind of wood did you get?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.