Author Topic: I have dog sickness :(  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
I have dog sickness :(
« on: February 28, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
I need professional help please.  You see, I got one dog, and she's great but she needs a friend.  Almost as soon as I got her I started looking for my next dog.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't need 100 dogs but 3 wouldn't hurt right?  Maybe 5?  Ack! 

I need at least 2 more dogs in my house!  It just doesn't feel like home without furballs everywhere.  I grew up with them and until I married my non-animal lover hubby (wish I would have studied him as much as I do my dogs!  lol)  I've always had at least two at a time.  I would have a HUGE yard (farm) and a herd of doggies if I could.  So you see, I need help so I don't drive my poor hubby nuts crowding the house.  He just doesn't get me and my sickness.  lol.  I NEED FURBABIES!  :P

Wait, ok maybe it's not me.  Maybe it's HIM that needs help!  yeah, let's change him instead so more dogs will have a home.   I just don't see what's wrong with 5 dogs.  Or even 7. 8?  Could someone please explain to him why we need more couches in the house too?  ;) :D

Kelly, I love dogs! :-*
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I have dog sickness :(
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
Hehehe... I have 7 dogs!  :D But I warn you... be careful and study pack dynamics before you take in this many! We are learning the hard away about dominance and pecking order... and two of our furkids have been hurt lately and we probably could have avoided it if we had been more knowledgable. :-\
But... I LOVE walking into a room full of BEAUTIFUL dogs!!! It is a great feeling. I am overwhelmed with love every day of my life because they are all such special creatures!!! ;D

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:24:23 pm »
Hi Kelly,

There is nothing wrong with you at all, rest assured that as a member of BPO you are certifiably Sane, In fact I have just mentioned your case to Bell and Hovis, Bell advises me that as a human you should give in to your desires immediately. She reccomends a theraputic course of internet shopping for Couches and dog treats to help alleviate the "No Dog Stress", you are feeling at present. Followed by some serious dog aquisition. Hovis, when I managed to get her away from her dinner readily agreed with Bells diagnosis and treatment but did point out your Avatar and felt slighted and upset that you couldn't be a proper dog lover because you didn't have a Newf. Hovis also mentioned something about "Give him h*ll till you get your way" something both Bell and Hovis are very good at. I hope this helps.

Love

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
Sorry I'm not much help....our tactic is just bringing home another one...my dad throws a hissy fit for a day and becomes their slave within a week. ;D.  When I get my own place...I'm definitely going to have at least two.  I stay in a dorm through the week and go home on weekends so it feels really weird not having a dog to trip over through the week.  Going home to my dogs brings back my sanity.  Nothing like drool and slobbers to make you feel better.

Also our explanation for our pets is that it saves thousands in psychologist bills  ;D
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:22 pm »
LOL!!  That is great!  I have always wanted a Newfie (for at least a decade) and now we are getting an AM in April.  I am starting to think that once we bought a house as opposed to renting...what would be the harm in an AM, chow AND Newfie.  Now hubby isn't aware of this until he reads this post...but since you brought up that line of thinking it sounds like a plan to me too! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:49 pm »
I understand what you mean.  There's no way my hubby would go for 5 much less 7 or 8.  He was all for having another one as a friend for her but she's been getting on his nerves (and everyone else's) with her constant clingyness.  She's not velcro as we were told Dobies are, she's saran wrap!  I understand that we're at least her 3rd family so I have more patience with her and that combined with her not liking being left alone is another reason to get her a friend (or two ;) ) but hubby doesn't get it.  He's from a country where pets are disposable.  He asked me this morning if we could trade her for another dog.  ???  Weirdo!  I don't think he actually meant it though because he spoils her rotten (as long as no one is noticing ;) ) and it's the only pet he's allowed on the couch.   He just doesn't know what to do with her when she gets so lonely and wants to play so much. 

See!  I need another dog!  I also need to find a way to convince him that he won't have TWO clingy dogs if I get her a friend and that it will actually help her settle down (mentally) and give her someone to stay and play with. *sigh*

So............ any "Dr's" in the house that can help my hubby see the light?  lol
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 04:35:46 pm »
Hi Kelly,

There is nothing wrong with you at all, rest assured that as a member of BPO you are certifiably Sane, In fact I have just mentioned your case to Bell and Hovis, Bell advises me that as a human you should give in to your desires immediately. She reccomends a theraputic course of internet shopping for Couches and dog treats to help alleviate the "No Dog Stress", you are feeling at present. Followed by some serious dog aquisition. Hovis, when I managed to get her away from her dinner readily agreed with Bells diagnosis and treatment but did point out your Avatar and felt slighted and upset that you couldn't be a proper dog lover because you didn't have a Newf. Hovis also mentioned something about "Give him h*ll till you get your way" something both Bell and Hovis are very good at. I hope this helps.

Love

Andy, Bell & Hovis

Nothing personal Hovis, I love the big furries best (don't tell my nearly hairless dog though :D).  However, I'm not allowed to have a hairy dog.  Hubby said because of the heat here (we live in las vegas) that it's not fair to them to have any.  Plus he's not a fan of hairy dogs.  lol  Maybe if I can convince him to move sometime in the next few years we'll add a furball to the family. :)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 04:38:24 pm »
LOL!!  That is great!  I have always wanted a Newfie (for at least a decade) and now we are getting an AM in April.  I am starting to think that once we bought a house as opposed to renting...what would be the harm in an AM, chow AND Newfie.  Now hubby isn't aware of this until he reads this post...but since you brought up that line of thinking it sounds like a plan to me too! 

I just LOVE looking at your furbaby!  I've never seen one that color before.  So cute!  As for the additions, I say go for it!  I'll live through the rest of you if I can't have more of my own.  lol

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 04:46:57 pm »
Maybe we should have a 12-step program for those of us who have no business with more than 1 dog, much less more than one BIG DOG.

The minute I own my own place (and don't have to ask permission) I'm going to have a pack of dogs.  Of course, I'll have to work till I'm 90 to support the vet bill, food bill, toys, providing room.  All worth it, all very much worth it.

Sarah

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 05:05:36 pm »
Here's a pic of one of the furries I want to take home.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5884869&adTarget=&SessionID=440534856fee3f7c-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Don't you just want to hug him for hours?!  Plus GSD is one of my alltime FAV breeds!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 05:18:09 pm by Kelly89084 »

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 05:09:24 pm »
He's BEAUTIFUL!
Sarah

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:13:27 pm »
Yes, I too am falling pray to furbabyitis :D When I first bought my house it was just me and one kitty Gus. 10 months later it's me 2 kitties and one Newfie. Now I think Sadie might need a friend. I've got to be stopped - this is out of control!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »
Oh, he's beautiful!  I hope he finds a home soon (maybe yours?  :o )  It's so hard not to bring them all home...

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 05:47:47 pm »
Oh, he's beautiful!  I hope he finds a home soon (maybe yours?  :o )  It's so hard not to bring them all home...

I would love to but I'm still trying to find out how to get him home.  I can fit both kids and ONE dog in my car, but not two. :S  If I don't take my Holly I have no way of allowing them to meet on neutral grounds to make sure they get along.  However!  If I take Holly I have to kick one of my kids out of the car.  I don't think either of them would thank me for that.  lol

I love my Holly and don't want her to havge issues with our new dog.  She has a great personality with other dogs but they aren't in her home/yard and I don't want to push my luck.  What to do........ what to do?

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 05:52:22 pm »
We have this car/dog problem too.  I have a toyota echo and two newfies!  At the moment we all fit in the car (my hubby, two newfies and me) but as Bella grows, uh oh! ::)