Author Topic: Cell Phone Suggestions?  (Read 2175 times)

k2campbell

Cell Phone Suggestions?
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:06:07 pm »
My cell just died on me :-[ :P I did have it for 4+ years, so I guess it was actually a good phone to last that long. I really need one as my drive to work (especially in winter) is long and treacherous.  I wouldn't feel safe without one...

I don't want to re-sign with my cell phone provider just to get a discount on a phone upgrade through them (I'd have to sign for 2+ years on contract).  My contract right now is up (was the 3 year deal) but now I'm going month-to-month and like it MUCH better. I'm able to change my wireless options on-line (and free of charge) going month-to-month...

I was looking on Ebay, and am able to buy a new phone (unlocked so I can just switch-out my SIM card) for less than I'd pay from my service company renewing my contract.  I'm looking at the Motorola RAZR and Motorola PEBL.  Does anyone have any feedback on either or these phones?  I keep my phones for a LONG TIME (4+ years on my last), so want to buy a good phone such as either of these two.  They seem to be reputable, but they're VERY modern and technical.  My last phone was ancient, it didn't have anything close to these phones for features!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks  ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:53:27 am »
I just got the Motorola RAZR last week and I love it.  My last cell phone I had for six years..so all it could do was send and receive calls....and that's all I thought I wanted.  This one gets email, news, sports, (but doesn't connect to BPO...I don't think!!).  So far so good.....

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:03:51 am »
I just got the Motorola RAZR last week and I love it.  My last cell phone I had for six years..so all it could do was send and receive calls....and that's all I thought I wanted.  This one gets email, news, sports, (but doesn't connect to BPO...I don't think!!).  So far so good.....

Thanks newflvr!  Can I ask - did you get the silver or black color?  I'm also stuck on that ;) :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:04:08 am by k2campbell »

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:04:35 am »
I've read many many reviews on the razr and they all say the phone doesn't last.  If you're looking to keep it for years like you did your last, I'd search for something else.  Also, the outside of it is supposed to not hold up so well to scratches etc either.  There wasn't much info on the pebl last time I checked (that was a while ago) but I can look it up for you. :)

This is a good place to look for reviews on just about anything.  They give their own expert opnion as well as WHY they think they was they do about that products, but you'll also get plenty of user reviews so you can see how it does with real life usage.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:07:49 am by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:30:38 am »
Wow, Kelly, wish I'd been smart enough to ask first.  I had no idea.  Oh well....guess it will have to be good enough for as long as it lasts.... :P

Well, POOP!!!

I have the black, in case you are still interested.... and it does look good.... ;)

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:00:29 am »
  CNET.Com has a cell phone review section thats really good. You can look for phones by type, manufacturer, or provider. That might be a good place to start. I don't have the link but just google "cnet cell phone reviews" and you should find it.

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 09:09:07 am »
Kelly89084, newflvr & mjjensen - thanks SO much for all the info!  You guys are the best!!!  ;)