Author Topic: Question about heirarchy....  (Read 2830 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Question about heirarchy....
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »
K...This might be a really stupid question but do dogs lay next to you in terms of heirarchy?...For example...If I am sitting here at the computer or lying on the couch when the dogs settle down to rest it is always Pippin or Rosie right next to me & Samson furthest from me...Usually it is Pippin closest to me, then Rosie, then Sam...Does the next level status wolf lie closest to the Alpha & then down the line...That type of thing or do I do I just have way too much time on my hands to think? :-\ :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:11:44 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

doggylover

Re: Question about hiarchy....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:50 pm »
ROFL you may have too much time to think, but that's a GOOD thing.  I have often wondered about this very thing.  I know that in a wild pack, the Alpha gets the 'best' spot, so maybe they are ordering themselves closes to you in terms of heirarchy.  I looked this up in my favorite dog book and it said that the lower members on the doggytotem pole will usually be furthest away from the leader....eh who knows.  It could be that the dog furthest from you farts and the others shun him/her away. 
 ;D
Ronda

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Question about hiarchy....
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:53:23 pm »
ROFL you may have too much time to think, but that's a GOOD thing.  I have often wondered about this very thing.  I know that in a wild pack, the Alpha gets the 'best' spot, so maybe they are ordering themselves closes to you in terms of heirarchy.  I looked this up in my favorite dog book and it said that the lower members on the doggytotem pole will usually be furthest away from the leader....eh who knows.  It could be that the dog furthest from you farts and the others shun him/her away. 
 ;D
Ronda
Ty & I love how you think!!!...ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Question about heirarchy....
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 01:57:55 pm »
I've thought about it too since Cowboy is always a paw's length away from me, but Chester is the one laying at the door looking out.  He's the one who lets me know if there is anything unusual going on out of my line of sight.  He's much more of a guard dog (okay....for a Newfie ::))

About that gas....Cowboy has gas often so where does that put me when he faces away from me??!!!! :P ::)

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:27 pm »

About that gas....Cowboy has gas often so where does that put me when he faces away from me??!!!! :P ::)
My very educated opinion is that he is farting on you as a way of 'sharing a little of himself' because he loves you SO much :D

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 02:43:15 pm »
HA! i was thinking you were sounding a little like a wolf pack, not a BP pack....until the fart thing. that sounds JUST like my guys...Bailey IS always last in line to...
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »

My very educated opinion is that he is farting on you as a way of 'sharing a little of himself' because he loves you SO much :D
Well lucky her!..lol..Pippin eats a big meal & then comes up to me & belches in my face...lol!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 02:53:40 pm »
OH, the JOYS of loving and being loved by a big paw!!!  So that's how I should take it, huh!  Being farted/burped on is just SHARING the love.  Huh!!!  Who knew?? ::) ::)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:00:01 pm »

Well lucky her!..lol..Pippin eats a big meal & then comes up to me & belches in my face...lol!

Thank GOD! I thought I was the only one. When it comes to belches, Sadie is unbeatable. I've never ever in my life heard anything like it. And she deliberately comes up and does it right in my face. The stinker! :P
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:06:27 pm »
"Hey mom!  Check out what I just had...<BURRRRPPPP>!"  You think they are coming to love on you and WHAMO, burp right in your face.  Been there.
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 05:23:47 pm »
Nola will create such big burps that his flews will expand then it seems that he blows the burp at me.  It kind of looks like he is holding it in there.  Totally lacking in respect.  Not that I want him to burp in my face anytime soon but I really wish I could get a picture of it.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 05:48:31 pm »
I have a theory about dogs burping in your face after a meal....it just came to me. I think its because they are thanking you for their food. This may sound ridiculous, but Chip pointed out to me this week that everytime I feed Lucas he comes up to me to thank me afterward. And I did notice....he walks right up to me, sometimes burps cause that's natural, and walks away. Now that I hear some of your dogs do the same, it makes more sense. We have grateful, loyal puppies! And...if they really are just belching in our faces at least we have a pleasant explanation for it  ;D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 10:21:15 pm »
I have a theory about dogs burping in your face after a meal....it just came to me. I think its because they are thanking you for their food. This may sound ridiculous, but Chip pointed out to me this week that everytime I feed Lucas he comes up to me to thank me afterward. And I did notice....he walks right up to me, sometimes burps cause that's natural, and walks away. Now that I hear some of your dogs do the same, it makes more sense. We have grateful, loyal puppies! And...if they really are just belching in our faces at least we have a pleasant explanation for it  ;D
That explanation works as good for me as any! ;D
Modified to add then why don't Rosie & Samson do it???...Damn unappreciative ingrates! :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:24:05 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 02:30:28 am »
I have a theory about dogs burping in your face after a meal....it just came to me. I think its because they are thanking you for their food.
OK I think there may seriously be something wrong with me...the first thing I thought when I read this (quote) was, "Hmm if that's how they thank us for feeding them, I sure hope they don't start getting appreciative when we clean up their dog poo..."
I am disturbed :-[