Author Topic: Don't laugh at hun's poop question!  (Read 5433 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Don't laugh at hun's poop question!
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:23:35 pm »
Ok, my husband wants to know what if anything everyone else does with all the poop,  especially with multiple dogs who poop large ammounts.  He is sure there must be some kind of recycling that can be done! Some manure does make good fertilizer...
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Don't laugh at hun's poop question!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:46 pm »
It's not good fertilizer it comes from meat eating animals...sadl y!  I put it in plastic shopping bags and off to the trash it goes. 

Somebody here was trying the Doggie Dooley which uses an enzyme system to break it down, but we have clay soil which just keeps it nice and safe!  UGHHH! ::)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:42:37 pm »
I thought so.  We just put it in the dump too.  Frightening thought of all that poop!  EEEWWW. 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:52:45 pm »
We just bag it with plastic grocery store bags and into the trash. Our trash pick up guys must love us in the summer!  Even though we double bag it and tie it up, gets pretty smelly in summer heat.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:35:54 pm »
We toss it in the trash too
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »
Same here.  It's double bagged and tossed in the trash......pre ferrably the day before trash so it doesn't get too stinky.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 10:11:25 pm »
I toss it into areas that I'm mulching trying to grow grow grass at.  It's fine fertilizer, you just don't want to use it for vegetables you will eat.  I've also read that it doesn't make good fertilizer because it doesn't break down, because of the meat,etc.  I just know that the grass grows greener where you throw the poop.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 10:24:37 pm »
We clean the yard up and bag it and put it in the garbage. In the winter it is not that bad but in the summer, well, that is a different story! Can you say GROSS!!!
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:00:34 am »
I didn't realize that my husband had taken to throwing it over the back fence onto our property until I saw all these beautiful wild flowers growing there one summer.  Then I saw him flinging it (slapshooting it actually...for mer hockey player who has never really grown up) over the fence.  We have lovely wild growth there thanks to the fertilizer, but we no longer let the kids eat off the raspberry bush that grows there!  :D
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 09:11:26 am »
BarkleysMum - your post was hysterical!

As for the poop at my house.... with 8 dogs (4 big paws)- it gets bagged and tossed in the trash.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 09:28:33 am »
Sadly I have only gone out back and picked up poop twice since I moved in to my house in December.  I usually do a big pile pickup, send it to the trash and mow the rest.  It doesn't seem to hurt the grass and it might even help.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 10:37:20 am »
Sadly I have only gone out back and picked up poop twice since I moved in to my house in December.  I usually do a big pile pickup, send it to the trash and mow the rest.  It doesn't seem to hurt the grass and it might even help.

WOW!!!  That's a lot of poop, 3 months worth to be precise.  Good luck with that. :-\  Yeah Kildeskennel, dog poop is worthless for fertilizer, toss it in the trash.  If you're interested in making your own gardening supplements, get a mulcher.  It is so nice to have one, you can use all of your yardwaste and kitchen vegetable & fruit scraps/coffee/egg shells/moldy bread and it will help you have super healthy soil in your garden.  Just be careful what you throw in there.  We threw all of our Thanksgiving gourds in ours and our summer garden was overrun with gourds.  Nice to look at but completely inedible.  If you already have a mulcher, then you know what I'm talking about.  There are some great mulchers on the market now that supposedly can make fresh mulch in no time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:44:38 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 11:29:07 am »
I just did spring clean up yesterday  :P YUCKKKK
We just do it the day before garbage and throw it out with the trash...I usually have to mark it heavy--so the poor garbage guy doesn't break his back ;)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 02:29:16 pm »
Mine don't poop in their own back yard... perish the thought, they say to me! So I have to go round the neighbourhood with a bag full of nappy sacks and pick it up fresh, tie a knot in the bag and into the nearest bin.

And being an old kennel hand, I think I know everyting there is to know about dog poop, it's collection and disposal methods - he-he! A little poop does no harm to the grass, but it is rubbish fertiliser and doesn't really compost well either in large amounts. My friend with the kennels has about 20 years worth of dog poop at the bottom of her property mixed with grass cuttings and a wood shavings. Nothing grows in it and all it's done is raise the level of the ground back there a couple of feet. It doesn't smell or attract flies, but it obviously takes a while to break down. Anybody who hates scooping the yard should get a long handled poop scoop like they use in kennels - so much better than anything else it may even make you pick up every day!  ;D

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:33 pm »
Our doggy do gets picked up as soon as it is done, well with three Newfs you have to don't you!!! But we bag it and dump it in the dustbin too :)

The breeder we had our youngest two from got her hubby to put a new outlet on a sewage pipe in her garden, so she just puts all the poo down there... Sounds like a good idea to me, especially with 6 Newfs :)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte