Author Topic: Psycho breeders  (Read 3132 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Psycho breeders
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:38:25 am »
Anyone have any encounters with them....dont give any names but I am sure there are some funny stories with them
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Psycho breeders
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:35:35 am »
i have gotten all mine from either the pound or from friends (mistake). but i am planning to get an australian shepherd soon (next few years) and the breeder i want to get it from is a mother-daughter pair (!). well, actually it's a mother-daughter-grand daughter trio. i walked into the ASCA show, and the grand daughter walks up to me (i had never met her, but my friend groaned) and asked if she could be my friend. i had no problem with that, so i said "sure!" BIG mistake. i should have said "i am too busy for new friends" or "i have to go groom dogs right now, but later?" or "i would rather jump of a cliff" or ANYTHING to get out of this "friendship". but i didn't listen to the not-so-inconspicuous groan of my friend/mentor, and i was stuck! she said we could "make a girls club" (?) i didn't know what that meant, so i said ok. she walked around to any female being (even her red merle) in the room, and asked them to be in OUR club. i was so embarassed, but the old women thought it was cute, the mid-aged women thought it was funny, and the people my age thought it was weird. GREAT! she then proceded to annoy every women in there until they politly asked her if they could be excused from the club. i was the president (apparently) and i had to stay in it. She would have been a cute girl looking for intertainment, but she was sort of just annoying at the time. she borrowed my mothers (secratary) calendar and wrote down all the dates that she had planned activities. when we finnally figured out she was getting directions to her house from her mom, we told her that we were very busy this week, and we would se her the next weekend at the ASCA show.

thats just my little story. the girl is VERY nice, and cute, but i was stressed out that weekend, and i would have played along a little better if i hadn't been so tired.

SO anyone else got funny story about breeders? i am sure you (can't remember your screen name) with the central asian must have some good ones! and is that a caucasion something or other? (i am so sorry, but i can't remember for the life of me what they are called. very pretty dogs!)

weel, talk to y'all later! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:46:02 pm »
Well, Samson's breeder sold me a "full blooded" Pyr from working lines knowing it was my 1st dog & I had basically no 1st hand dog experience...L ater I found he was totally unsocialized at 14 weeks, had MARREMA blood in his line AND his father had been put down at 4 yrs. old due to bad agression issues...Does this count?...lol!

Blair

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 05:36:50 am »
My first Great Dane came from one. It started right after we got him. He had a skin condition and the breeder blamed it all on us even hen we said he came off the plane with thinning hair. Poor dog had such thin hair all over his body. She gave us such a hard timne over it, we just completely washed our hands of her. But then our  Dane suddenly died at the age of 10 months. We figure out it was his heart, so we thought we should tell the breeder. Well the stupid breeder blamed us for his death  >:( She said " If I knew you were going to kill him I would of kept him myself"  >:( >:( Thank God psycho breeder doesnt breed danes anymore, but she still breeds Schnauzers, Cockers, and Westies  ::) If I would ever met this "person" in person I would hurt her  ;D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 08:49:12 am »
Watching the dog show last night I heard the commentators discussing how Judges look for the breed standards -- and they went on to talk about how breeders need to be mindful that too long a leg, or too stout a neck, will not be considered standard (even though long legs or a stout neck may be the breed's special feature, if it's exaggerated it will not conform).  I think some of these "connoisseurs" of breeds are like that woman that kept having plastic surgery to look more like a cat.
Sarah

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 09:43:42 am »
The first breeder we talked to when we were looking for a newf raved about her health checks for hips, cysturina, etc.. and they were all excellent.  She was a long standing member of th e national breed club.  Well.... after some looking, none of that stuff was true at all.

After some googling, we found out she had a record of arrests from selling/buying and abusing drugs.

Luckily we walked away from that one before committing.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:48:26 am »
The breeder I got my first two Newfs from seemed like such a nice and helpful person...until my dogs died at three years old.  He then said that they weren't from his line....even though he was listed on their pedigree and AKC registration :-\ :-\ :-\!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 11:14:34 am »
Well, this doesn't involve me directly, but it is about the two rat terriers we will be picking up next month.

My friend has a very much in demand stud rat due to his rare color (double recessive)  She studded him out to another breeder.  At the same time, she bred another female with another male.  My friend received photos of both females thru the pregnancy.  Then the photos stopped.  She assumed they both had litters and the breeder was just too busy.

Breeder got back to her and told her that the female her male bred with had a false pregnancy and they would have to do a re-breeding.  Sent photos of the other litter.  Well, two of the puppies looked alot bigger then the rest.  (I'm not even going to go in to how my friend acquired these two puppies as that would take too long).  Once my friend had these two puppies she became very suspicious about their bloodlines.

She called the breeder on it and the breeder finally fessed up.  Supposedly the female her male bred with only had one puppy in the litter and she tried to pass it of as offspring of the other litter so she could get a free re-breeding with my friend's male.  (I'm still suspicious of the other pup as well, but a blood test will prove one way or another).

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:55 pm »
WOW! those are some terriable stories!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 02:03:45 am »
While looking for an Irish Setter we ran into some trippy people. You can't find them out here so we were calling other States.
I know a responsible breeder should ask questions but they had rules that I have never had to deal with. Like no breeding rights, no show rights, ability to contact you. Pictures of your house and ages of your kids.
The woman that I got my puppy from calls me every other day to see how he is doing. She is amazed that we have him potty trained because her pup that she kept isn't yet. She is also amazed that he can sit , shake, and stay for a few seconds before he has to move.

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 04:01:11 am »
Fifteen years ago, our second male doberman was purchased from a breeder, and died at 10 months. The necropsy showed an inability to process copper, which did not show up in any of the thousands of dollars worth of testing done when he was alive. When I cantacted the breeder to let her know what had happened, she accused me of poisening the dog and blaming her. She called the village hall where I live and reported us for having dangerous conditions in our home and we were investigated by several agencies because we had "children at risk". She had never been in our home, seen pictures or met our children. The agencies found no dangerous conditions but our lives were turned upside down, and the suspitions and allegations were devastating. Several years after Rocky had died, I heard about a new genetic disorder called Coppertoxicosi s. I had my vet go over the necropsy and related treatment records and he confirmed the diagnosis. I called the breeder and let her know that this was a problem in her line. She denied any problems and still breeds the same lines today, creating more carriers and affected dogs.
Stella

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:36 am »
Oh my gosh, how sad.  Is there a breeding counsel you can contact or her vet or anything? 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 04:58:31 am »
We are talking 10 years ago here, and I had exhausted every avenue  availible at that time, that did not involve a lawyer (couldn't afford that)or prison time for me.
I satisfied myself with telling anyone who approached me contemplating a dobe to go to someone else and why. I had no intention of further jepordising my family.
Stella
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 06:44:11 am by GR8DAME »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 06:31:23 am »
And unfortunately, that is not unusual.  Breeders don't want to know their lines are flawed, whether it be b/c of the reputation or b/c of the potential money loss.  You tell them something is wrong with their lines or they are carrying something they shouldn't be and you won't receive a warm reception.  And more than likely you won't stop them from breeding those same lines.

Sad, isn't it?  And these are supposed to be responsible breeders.