Author Topic: Strangers by my fence  (Read 5717 times)

Blair

Strangers by my fence
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:59:54 pm »
The last few weeks we had these same strange men hanging by our fence in the very back [there is an alley behind us] Our neighbor saw them one day and asked them what they were doing. They said they just wanted to see our dogs  ??? Now I am so worried they are out to hurt my boys. I walk the fence line everytime I let the boys outside. Zeus doesnt like people anywhere near the fence, so he lets us know if some one is too close. But if they want to hurt my babies, all they have to do is toss something over my fence. I just dont understand why these guys keep hanging out around my fence, it doesnt make any sense to me what so ever.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Strangers by my fence
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 12:06:36 am »
Maybe a little call to the police to tell them your concern.  If the police just drive down your alley a few times, maybe those guys will move on!  I'd be worried too!!! :-\

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:06:47 am »
I hate that! We have a lot of teenage boys in my neighborhood. When not in school they like to dress up in camiflouge and shoot pellet guns at each other. Kiah hates it! I'm afraid one of these times they'll shoot my dogs. Our house backs to trees and there's an open field on the other side. The boys like to play there. It would be easy for them to shoot at the girls. Luckily Kiah barks and we bring them in. I just hope it's soon enough.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:00:51 am »
I would definitely call the police!!!  They may be looking for dogs to steal or even just harass, I don't think you should have to tolerate that.

Call every time they do it, eventually they will decide it's too much trouble and find somewhere else to go.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:22:42 am »
Hi,

Ok if they worry you DEFINATELY call the police. My other thought is maybe they just like your dogs, why not they are beautiful!! Next time if you are comfortable take a walk over say hello introduce yourself the dogs and what ever defense mechanism you are carrying, and see if they are good guys or bad guys.

I am in no way suggesting to put yourself in an awkward or dangerous situation. It does seem we tend to assume people are up to no good cvery quickly (probably rightfully so) but instead of just calling the police and giving them a reason to come back and harm you or your dogs try being a nice neighbor first it will go along way in 1) making some friends and 2) if you become friendly you just may have secured yours and your dogs safety by having this group as friendlies. You know what I mean.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 01:27:15 am »
Maybe ask them yourself about what they are doing there.

I know when I was younger, I used to "stalk" the neighbours horses because I knew I could never have one of my own.  Maybe they just really like your dogs and wish they could get to know them better?  (but sometimes I'm pretty niave so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about ;))

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 01:31:19 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only worrywart!  Every time someone stops by our fence, I am so paranoid that they're trying to hurt the dogs.  It reallly is crazy though, because when I go out, the people usually just want to see the dogs or say that they often walk by and say hi to the dogs!  I would try to talk to the guys before calling the police.  If they're just admiring the dogs, you don't want to be the bad guy-then they might think adout harming them.  But trust your gut-if you get a bad feeling, then call the police for sure! 
My husband saw something fly over our fence the other day and ran outside.  Turns out that a little boy walking with his mom had thrown a soda can at the dogs!!!  My husband asked what he was doing and the mom had the nerve to say "Oh, he's just being a boy!"  Unreal!  I'd like to see her reaction when I walk past her house and throw a can at her kids playing outside!  Sorry, just ranting.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Blair

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:58 am »
I think I will try and go talk to them, or have my husband talk to them cause I am a chicken sh*t when it comes to talking to strange men I dont know LOL I am hoping they are just looking at them and not wanting to hurt them. Cause if they would ever hurt, or if any one would ever hurt, my boys I would have to seriously hurt them right back  ;D

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 01:52:49 am »
I have to go with Rich on this one, they may very well have good intentions. Especially if your neighbor has already comfronted them. Try to get a picture of them and try to introduce yourself and see what your gut feeling is about them after that. At that point if your uncomfortable in the least, call the cops! Another thing to think about is if your really concerned about this situation install an infared security camera. They dont cost much and it is good for your entire family. Check out www.smarthome. com

Blair

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 02:15:19 am »
I have to go with Rich on this one, they may very well have good intentions. Especially if your neighbor has already comfronted them. Try to get a picture of them and try to introduce yourself and see what your gut feeling is about them after that. At that point if your uncomfortable in the least, call the cops! Another thing to think about is if your really concerned about this situation install an infared security camera. They dont cost much and it is good for your entire family. Check out www.smarthome. com

Thanks for the link...Ill check it out and show my husband  :) Ill have my husband go and confront them and see how everything goes, hopefully they just want to look at my very handsome boys  :D

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 02:35:23 am »
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the "gloomy gus" here, but if these guys are really up to no good, they are going to do everything they can to not be threatening and seem really friendly.  Heck, you may even introduce them to the dogs, and that will make it much easier for them when they come back to steal one!  Especially if you tell them the dog's names.

I stick by my original post, I would just call the police and tell them to go.  If they were really admiring the dogs why wouldn't they have said something to you like "beautiful dogs!"?
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Blair

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:40:09 am »
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the "gloomy gus" here, but if these guys are really up to no good, they are going to do everything they can to not be threatening and seem really friendly.  Heck, you may even introduce them to the dogs, and that will make it much easier for them when they come back to steal one!  Especially if you tell them the dog's names.

I stick by my original post, I would just call the police and tell them to go.  If they were really admiring the dogs why wouldn't they have said something to you like "beautiful dogs!"?

I trust my husband, he is a good judge of person. And it helps that Zeus is very protective of "his" fence. And I will not tell them their names, Oh no no why no how. Zeus will bark and growl at anyone near our fence, even our neighbors that he knows. My neighbor is also keeping an eye out for us. I just hope its my mind over acting. Forgot to add, we have never seen them, just my neighbor. But we do see people  behind our fence but by the time we get to the back of our backyard they are always gone, so who knows.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:41:29 am by Blair »

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 02:40:35 am »
Reminds me of a guy who showed up on my doorstep one night selling gold jewelry.  Yeah, I always buy my fine jewelry from people who ring my doorbell after dark.  He didn't speak english and I understood enough spanish to get his drift.  He asked me why my dog didn't bark.  I told him it was because I TOLD HIM not to (figures that Einstein would be wagging his tail the whole time). 

In fairness to Einstein, he hadn't lived with me very long and wasn't sure yet who was okay and who wasn't.

Sarah

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 02:43:23 am »
Sorry, I agree with Greatdanz. Call the police. If they are unfamilar to you, and your nieghbor, and you haven't had anyone new move in around you, chances are that they do not belong there. There would be no reason to hang around and come back repeatedly unless they live in the area (and would be more familar to you) or are up to no good.I live in suburban Chicago, and I don't trust anyone lurking around my property. It is much safer that way for me, my dogs, AND MY KIDS.
Stella

Blair

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 02:48:35 am »
I agree with everyone on here in different ways [ I am such an agreeable person LOL] I already called the police, I think like last week, so the police have been called. Its hard to tell if they live behind me or not [ I dont know the people who live behind me. Lets see if I can describe my alley better. We have a large fence in backyard, with privacy fence. Behind our fence, in the back, is a grassy alley.On the other side of the narrow alley are houses with no fences, but their backards are facing our backyard, makes any sense? So these could be neighbors, i just dont know  :-\ I just wish I could catch them one time. When my neighbor saw them they didnt run away or anything but talked to her and told her they just wanted to see our "big" dogs. I is so confused  :-[