Author Topic: For my 500th post....  (Read 3721 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
For my 500th post....
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:09:57 am »
I invite everyone to Newfoundland and Labrador for the ultimate meet and greet. Where the neighbours are always sure to offer a helping hand to those in need. Where everyone is greeted with open arms. Where if the people don't like big dogs (or small dogs) they just avoid them and do not feel the need to tell the owners what to do with them. Where the Brinks  armour car drivers were allowed to carry guns before the police officers were. Where every turn greets you with open space, the smell of the ocean and ponds (lakes) by the hundreds.

The weather might not be the best but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. There's campgrounds right inside the city!! Enough room for everyone!!

On your way here, you can bask in the hospitality of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Re: For my 500th post....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:35:06 am »
We are headed up to Nova Scotia in June for a horse riding & driving vacation.  Maybe we can just keep on heading up to Newfoundland after that!  We will be near Antagonish, N.S. I hear it is absolutely magnificent!  The pictures of the place we are heading look really beautiful.  Keep on posting the plans for the meet and greet.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 05:02:38 am »
I would SOOO love to do that!!  It's just hard to think of driving from Southern Calif to the puppers' ancestral home....could we be much further apart and still speak English?  ::) And I'm sure you weren't suggesting to fly and leave them at home?  When Scottie can beam us all there (okay, I know there are some Space Trek fans out there), we'll be right there at your front door, ready to play!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 05:09:07 am »
What a great idea! 
Anita - if you're going to Antigonish, you can practically walk onto the North Sydney ferry from there!!! Ok, not really, but you're only a few hours away.

I've been to Newfoundland once and can vouch for everything that AC's Newfoundland Tourism Ad  :D 500th post says!  It's absolutely beautiful and the people are awesome!  I live in Nova Scotia, but four of my six neighbours are from Newfoundland. 
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:39:52 am »
I second that motion AC.  ;D Now if only we can charter a big enough bus to carry all of these big boys....
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:21:25 am »
I invite everyone to Newfoundland and Labrador for the ultimate meet and greet.

HEY!  We'll be on the little island (PEI) this summer, still debating whether or not we'll be bringing Kate with us (but) we are renting a car while we're there. 

Do you know how long a trip to come visit would be from the south side of PEI?  We'd seriously consider it depending on travel time ;)

CONGRATS on your 500th post! ;D

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:33:33 am »
hmmmm how bout you bring Angus down to New England?  There's quite a few newfs and I know we'd be willing to drive a little further north for a meetngreet if you are willing to come South. Hmmm maybe we could make it up there sometime...any dog friendly hotels in your area?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:19:08 pm »
Of course all the dogs have to come!! When I finish getting the Star Trek portal installed I will let everyone know. :D

Not sure of the driving Distance from PEI, but you would have to end up in North Sydney and from there you have 2 options. The ferry to Port Au Basques, around 8 hour crossing and then an 11 hour drive across the Island to get to St. John's (where I'm at) or the Ferry to Argentia which is about a 16 hour crossing but then only 4 or 5 hour drive to the capital city.

Yes there is dog friendly hotels. Myself and Angus have stayed in a hotel, the first one we drove up to said no problem. Though I would have to do a little research to find out how many are dog friendly.

I'll send the "Newfie Bullet" cross country to pick up all travellers ;D.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 06:33:39 pm »
Here's a link on the Last Newfoundland Dog Trek that coincided with the 500th Anniversary of Cabot's arrival in Newfoundland.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/newftrek.html

(can't seem to get links working so you'll have to copy and paste)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 11:34:03 pm »
I was just up your way last week! My dad and I flew to New Hampshire to meet my cousin then we drove up thru New Brunswick to Nova Scotia - well, different province, but I was soooooo close :)

I had a blast, got to see mountains in Maine (oddity here in Alabama ;) ) Although Alabama is the beginning place for the Appalachian mtns.  I think that would be an absolutely fantastic trip. On our flight home, we could hear dogs barking in cargo :) I wanted to go down there and be with them LOL

Oh, you were soooo close!! But at least you got to see some of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Newfoundland is still waiting...

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 01:34:35 am »
Yes I was and I sooooo wanted to go to Newfoundland to see the statue, etc, but we were only on a short stay. I even looked online for puppies available LOL

What statue??

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 03:09:42 am »
I saw a show on Newfoundland and the guy wound up sitting on a statue of a black Newfoundland dog.

Ok, I know the statue, just a 15-20 minute walk fronm my house. There is actually 2 statues, 1 of a Newfoundland and the other of a Labrador. I was alwasy meaning to walk down with Angus and get pictures. Maybe if it stops snowing I'll take a walk down tomorrow.