Author Topic: i need my friends advice!!!  (Read 3264 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
i need my friends advice!!!
« on: April 23, 2006, 09:36:48 pm »
ok My fiance just got transfered to Albany, Georgia. well he told me this and started to cry.  i have lived in mobile, alabama my whole life.  I have a great job and am by my family.  I dont think that it would be that hard if my sister wasnt due in july.  She had complications when delivering last time and i would hate to not be here if something happened. 
   Well i mean i love him with everything i have and wwill go with him anywhere.  So most likely i will be moving in a couple of months but should i wait until we find a home because all the apartments up there wont let you have dogs over 25 lbs.  And unfortunatley i have big dogs.  I cant leave them behind but i need to go with him. 
   I need everyones help.  I mean it wont be hard to find a home because it is about 1 hour south of albany and it is the #1 goat breeding county of america.  YEA I KNOW! So homes are cheap and on alot of land should i wait until we can get a house and stay in mobile and let him go to albany or go with him and leave all my babies here.   

This is a picture of us at christmas
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: i need my friends advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:43:39 pm »
Maybe compromise with you staying with the dogs and going to visit him when you can until you find a new place.  It shouldn't be too long hopefully for you guys to find a place.  And if it is taking awhile maybe reevaluate and stay with him.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:48:25 pm »
I remember when my hubby was nervous about moving to Chicago from Pensacola where he had grown up his whole life.  I told him that no matter where we were his family was only a few hours plane ride away and he could go any time he needed to.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:56:21 pm »
I know for me personally, I'd take the option of staying with the dogs and being without the man for a while rather than the other way around... but that's me!!! ;) :D

You'll do fine, a move from AL to GA won't be too much of a difference and you will still be really close to family, relatively speaking!!! :)

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:08:35 pm »
Yeah, its kind of not an ideal situation, but you'll be fine. Wait and stay with the dogs until you can get a place for them. Its hard, but in the end you know you'll all be together and won't regret having to rehome your dogs.

I'm living 4 hours from my boyfriend right now (we've been together 7 years) and its rough, but its just what we've got to do until I graduate. You can always visit one another and your family once you move, but you can't ever take it back if you have to leave your dogs!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:20:28 pm »
thanks everyone for helping me out.  Well that is where i stood too.  I mean i have 10 horses and 5 dogs i need to stay.  yes the horses would be coming too so we have a really big move if anyone is wanting to join in and help move all my babies to albany. ;)  just let me know. 

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:39:05 pm »
That's a hard decision. I would have to agree to staying with the animals. How far is it? You could always visit on weekends. I'm 4 hours from my family. Lets just say I have a million cell phone minutes! 

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 11:40:07 pm »
oh yea he is there right now and has been looking at property and you cant even buy anything with less than 7 acres of land and your nieghbors are about half a mile away.  So i am sure we will.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 01:57:50 am »
We are actually going to be going thru this next month.  We are moving from CA to IL and will be homeless until we find a place to live....lol.  Of course in my case I can't stay here b/c we live on a military base and hubby is retiring.  So I will go stay with my parents in MN until we can find a place in IL.  It will be a crowded trip with 4 dogs and 2 birds. Plus my parents have a dog and 2 cats plus birds in the house.   :o

You sound like you will have an ever more crowded trip.  I agree to have him look around and wait until you can find what you are looking for.  Good luck!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 03:45:06 am »
I can totally sympathize with trying to move all those bodies! I have a cousin who has EIGHT KIDS, plus all their animals, whose husband's job moved every 2-3 years for almost 25 years before they got divorced.  They tried it both ways, more than once, and I learned from the experience of HELPING them move more than a few times, which way was more efficient and less stressful on everyone involved. 

If you stay and he goes--particularly if you stay put till your niece/nephew arrives--you don't have to move all in a lump, which is just a mess, no matter HOW organized you are. I've done that by myself, and I HATE it. If he goes ahead, you can move in STAGES. He can take his time, and find exactly the right place, rather than finding the first thing you can possibly make work. You can pack up a few boxes every week, and he can come home on the weekends to you and the babies, and take those boxes home and unpack them thru the course of the week, a box or two a night, the same way you packed them. Or you can pack the boxes and go to him, leaving the babies with your parents for the weekend. There's always LOTS of stuff that can be moved this way--shelves of books, MOST of the dishes, closets full of off season clothes, boxes of holiday decorations, boxes full of whatever you or he collect, etc.  Some weekends you can go to him and decorate the house a little while you're there--maybe paint the kitchen before you send most of the dishes or the bedroom before you send all the clothes and the bed, but you can do a room or two at a time, rather than all in a frantic mess, with boxes of all your stuff covered with tarps and your dogs everywhere!

You can see I'm a big advocate of the 'gradual' move. ;) Upgrade your cell plans to more 'anytime' minutes so that you can talk to each other as much as you want without breaking the bank!  Or change companies so that your 'in network' calls to each other are free. 

It's scary to move away from all your family for the first time, but you CAN do it slowly, and your whole family can probably enjoy the process with if you do it over the whole period of from now till after your sister has the baby. 

And...if it's important to you to take this last chance to spend that time with her, you should--because once you move away, no matter what you do, your relationship with her is going to change forever. 

There's no relationship in the world like the one you have with your siblings--they're the only people in the world who will be with you your thru your whole lifetime. You don't find your husband/wife until you're an adult, and that person finds a grown up and never really knows how you go that way--but your siblings were there for it all. Odds are that at some point you'll lose your parents, and they'll never know how you turned out in the end.

But your sibs are right alongside you the whole way thru your life. They know you in ways that nobody who didn't live in your house with you when you were 8 and he was 5 and she was 3 and you dug a grave for the goldfish under the peach tree with your mother's silver gravy ladle, and who had that same memory running thru their head when you stood together over your grandfather's grave ever possibly can.

So if you the one thing you want share with your sister before you're out into the world without her right beside you is her baby...DO IT.  You BOTH deserve it.  :-*

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 03:46:07 am by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 09:23:09 am »
Hi, Amber!  I found you, and of course discovered that you are moving.  You can't go, you have to help me with my wild Bella!! :(
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 10:14:45 am »
Sorry to hear that you're moving.  I was going to try and get into a couple of your classes this summer.  sigh...  I don't have any advise other than to say good luck.  I wish I could take the time to come help.  Transporting the 10 horses is going to be a chore.  Do you have your own trailer or are you having someone else do it?  Do you need stop over time?  I can help with the logistics if you need it....

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 10:32:12 am »
Nooooooooooooo ooooooooo, you cant leave Mobile.  Ok, now I have that out of my system. Maybe your guy will be able to find a home soon.  I know it would kill you even to be a few days without your fur-babies.  Call me when you have time, maybe we can help with a packing party.

Lisa

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 10:14:59 pm »
You can do it girl!  I moved 700 miles from my family to be with my husband.  You will only be 250ish miles away.  That is a fairly quick drive.  And as far as your sister goes, when I called my mom to tell her I was being induced the following morning to have my son, she hopped in her van and made it the 700 miles in PLENTY of time.  Your "husband", furbabies, and any skin babies you might have ARE your family and you aren't too far to visit or get visitors, but far enough for no "surprise" visitors.   I would let him go first and do the settling.  Like others have said, the move will be trauma enough on the animals I would make sure they had only ONE move.  Good luck and look at it as an adventure!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."