Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Any ideas?
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:11:06 am »
We're considering a smaller dog for our next addition.  We'll need a small-med size with enough energy to keep up with Holly but not as hyper as her.  It also needs to be calm with the kids because Nicholas can't stand anyone jumping on or licking him.  It also needs to be quite, not require a great deal of grooming, and not have doggy BO like a doberkid and gets along with other cats/animals because we like to take our furkids with us when we run around.  Very important is it being independant.  My hubby does NOT want another clingyor noisy dog or one with bad manners (stubborn/won't listen). 

So basically something small, stupid, and lovable that takes almost no work and will adore my kids without being pushy about it.  lol  Also, a protective or at least alrting type would be nice for a change instead of missy "I don't hear a thing"   ::)

Any ideas?!   ???
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:21:10 am by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:37:14 am »
Oooh,my favorite thing to do, talk about breeds!

Hmmm.....lets see. Sm/md sized, non-clingy, energetic but not hyper, stupid and lovable.

Well, I think that describes an english bulldog to a "t".
Or you could go mini/standard schnauzer(although I suppose they do need to be groomed, unless you want the benji look)
-german pinscher (a breed on my future breed list)
-basset hound?
-corgi?
-staffordshire bull terrier?
-amstaff?
-bull terrier?
-basenji?
-pharoah hound?
-whippet? (although I don't know how they do at alerting)

Or shelters usually have a wide variety of mid sized dogs.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:10:44 am »
Oh, go with a bassett hound, or a bassett mix. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:17:57 am »
My mini schnauzer is *needy* so beware . LOL  ;)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:55 am »
My mini schnauzer is *needy* so beware . LOL  ;)

ack!  thanks for the heads up!
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:15 am »
Ok...my friend has a toy fox terrier. I love her. Her name is Lucy. I baby-sit her all the time. I would steal Lucy from her in a heartbeat. I would have never thought that I love those little buggers, but I do. She's awesome in the house, just lays on the couch, she's got this awesome clownish personality, short hair. She has alot of energy outside. She used to play with our beagle mix ALOT.

The only thing that I don't like about her is that she chases kitties. I can't handle that, cuz I've got three of them.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:23:05 am »
I did consider getting a "Dobie" in each size but I don't think hubby would go for it.  lol  He's already told me know about the mini's because he's afraid they'll yap like Chihuahuas.  He knew one before and it bugged the crap out of him so all of them are out now.   ::)  He has odd ideas about dog breeds.  lol  I wish I had room for a Borzoi or IW (which I haven't completely given up on) but I just don't see them fitting in this house and we'll be here for at least 1-2 more yrs. Afghan Hounds are pretty but all that hair scares me!  :o

"The only thing that I don't like about her is that she chases kitties. I can't handle that, cuz I've got three of them."

See, that's an issue I have here too.  My oldest son is a cat lover and I promised him he could get one in the future if he can prove he's responsible enough.  I don't want to get a dog that will kill his kitty.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:24:39 am by Kelly89084 »

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:47:17 am »
HAHAHAHAHHA!!! Well, a toy fox terrier won't kill any kitties, I don't think. All of my kitties are bigger than Lucy. She just wants to play and chase them, there isn't any aggression involved. It just gets annoying after awhile. But, I think that if a pup and a kitten grew up together, it might be different, ya know? Lucy doesn't live with cats, she just experiences them when I baby sit her.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:36 am »
My sister has a basset hound who Bava loves to death. She is a sweet little dog, not too clingy or anything.  Sturdy little thing too, she is not phased at all playing rough with Bava.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€