Author Topic: I Just HAVE to tell you guys this story!  (Read 4974 times)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I Just HAVE to tell you guys this story!
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:37:24 am »
Ok, so I had to give away my sweet little Justice about a month ago. It was really sad for me but it was in her best interest. I had been considering getting a cat because, being in a apartment, it would be less stressful and Gus would still have a companion. I wanted to adopt, so I started looking around. My twin sister and her husband live in the city and she was telling me about this really cute stray and that I should take a look. So I did, and I wanted it. My sister had said it was a male, which was good so the next chance I got, I loaded him up and took him home. He looked kinda wormy ( he was fat for a stray) so I bought him medicine. Well, turns out it was a female! Wanna know how i found out?  SHE HAD KITTENS!!! Uh huh...ya....so much for the less maintenance idea! I was freaking out. It was five in the morning and my so called male cat was whining and making the most horrible noises Ive ever heard out of an animal. She had 5 kittens and they are all adorable and different colors. They're 2 days old now. Everyone else seems to think its hilarious, its just my luck. And advice or tips would be great....and I know you're laughing too..its ok. It was pretty funny! -Lacy
Now with Gus, Milo (mama kitty) and kittens..uno.. dos..tres..cua tro..cinco..an d seis..thats their names for now.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: I Just HAVE to tell you guys this story!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:41:40 am »
LOL!  Don't you just love it!!

OK, seriously, enough teasing, I want kitty pictures!  LOL!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:48:00 am »
that is a riot!
Seriously - we want pics of Gus and his new friends!  ;D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:51:25 am »
I think you should give in and move to the country.

Congrats on the surprise visit from the kitty-stork.  Where are you located?  I wouldn't mind adopting one of those kittens -- sounds like they're special!
Sarah

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:57:40 am »
I had that happen to me once. My sister found a cat and she couldn't keep her. So I took her in has a foster and we had the suspision she was pregnant. We took her to the vet and vet said he didn't think she was. A week or so later ta da Kittens. There was only two. One was white with a stubby tail. He also had one blue and one brown eye. The other a female was calico colored. I wanted to keep them all! They were so much fun! 

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:09:22 am »
Well, they havent opened they're eyes yet. Here are their colors:
Uno-all balck with orange and white face(he's soooo cute)
Dos-dark orange with white face
Tres-black, white, and orange all over
cuatro-light orange wth white face (looks just like mama)
cinco-black and white striped (so so so cute)
seis-forgot there's only 5

Oh, and Im in Norman, Oklahoma. Im thinking about keeping one, and my sister has claimed Tres, but all others are looking for homes in about 6 weeks.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:30:37 am »
Well , I had kind of the same experience , but not . LOL When I first got married we had mice in our house so decided to get a cat , a friend of mine knew someone who's cat had kittens so I said I'd take one when they were old enough , the next day I get this call saying the mother had died  :'( So I picked up my kitty at only 6 days old and hand fed him around the clock . They said she was a female and as she got older her hair was super super long so I never once thought of checking for sure ! Took her into the vet to get spayed ....... Needless to say the entire vet staff got a kick out of that .... Well , neutering was cheaper anyhow ! LOL
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:35:43 am »
Uno and Tres are girls.   ;D

There is something in cat genetics that make it so that a tortoiseshell or calico (any cat with orange, white and black) cannot be a male. 
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:57:38 am »
you think that is bad...i happen to have a BPO friend whos name starts with M who has had 3 litters from stray cats in the last 6 months.  yep....3 litters.  lol.  now THAT is funny.  as is your story!  what is up with all the knocked up cats on the block these days!

NICKI

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 03:04:17 am »

Spring has sprung and EVERYTHING is feeling RANDY!!! :-* :o :-* :o  LOL!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:31:54 am »
There is something in cat genetics that make it so that a tortoiseshell or calico (any cat with orange, white and black) cannot be a male. 

Actually, torties and calicos can be male, but it is rare, and if it happens, they are usually a bit mental.   ::)

My mom had the same experience as horsepoor, but the opposite.  I had given her two orange kittens that were brought into the vet office I worked at and needed homes.  The vet assumed they were males, b/c most orange cats are (I guess), but they turned out to both be females.

I'm so glad I've never had that happen to me. I don't think I could give up any of the kittens.  God forbid if she had a big litter.  You will have to post pix so we can see.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:49 pm »
We had a feline mistaken sexual identity episode, too. My cat Misty Blue got out ONE day and in that ONE day got herself knocked up. To teach me a lesson, she had 6 kittens. We kept them all 'til they were a year old and had them spayed/neutered and started to adopt them out.

One of them had a little moustache and was quite wild. We named him Watson. We thought he was a male 'cause as he was running away, we could see two little round things under his tail. Well, when Watson was about a year old, all of a sudden he started rubbing up on us and flipping over to be petted and being all friendly.

My husband and I would ask each other, "What's up with Watson all of a sudden?" Then, one day, Johann said, "you don't think Watson is a female and she's in heat, do you?" My jaw dropped and I picked him up. Sure enough, those two circles were just round black marks against her white fur and she was indeed a female and was indeed in heat. So, her name is now "Miss Watson" and she was spayed immediately after she got out of heat.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:29:28 am »
Honestly, I don't know how ANYbody can tell the difference in cats!  ??? Of course, I never really bothered to look, since I'm not much of a cat person.  I have had cats in past, but they've always been "fixed" so it wasn't an issue.  You guys are making me paranoid to adopt a cat ever again -- I wouldn't want to be saddled with a litter of kittens!

;)
Sarah

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 10:01:35 am »
Ya, Im not much of a cat person either. thats why I didnt bother to look, I just assumed that my sister was correct when she told me it was a male. she does work for a vet and all....but oh well. i cant wait until you guys can see pictures too. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to open their eyes? I thought it was only a couple of days, but so far none of them have. Im so excited to see what color their eyes are. Gus is still freaking out..he'll go over and sniff them but I dont let him get too close. On top of that, I have a trip planned for the 20th thru the 27th of this month, so Im leaving them all in my mothers hands. That's worrying me a little bit.

kristi

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 10:47:49 am »
The eyes won't open for a little while yet... when they do they'll be grey - they'll change as they grow.
You can usually get a good idea of color by 6 mo. - I think.  :-[
It's been a long time since I had a kitten!
I rescued one at the HS that I taught at - I found her under the AC unit outside my classroom. I found the mother, she was hit by a student's car.  :'( The vet estimated Cassidy was only about 3wks. 
If you have questions feel free to PM me!
Congrats!
-k.