Author Topic: Cesar Millan  (Read 12728 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Re: Cesar Millan
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 05:17:13 pm »
No trainer is perfect and if anyone "idolizes" Cesar than they have serious issues.  I do like his show and think he is really good with dogs.  We have used some of his techniques and they work.  If anything we feel more confident with Lucah...we know that we don't have to be "vicitims" to his behavior.  If anything Cesar reminds us who is in charge and to be diligent with your dogs.

I get the biggest laugh when he has to tell people that their dogs are not there children...and they don't want to believe him.  But all of this just reminds us how we should act around our dogs in order to make better lives for all.

I have read many behavorist books and all of them can rub a person the wrong way...usually they live on farms and have nothing to do but lecture and train, so they really seem to not think about "working" people with dogs.  If even feels like they don't think it's a good idea to have a dog unless you live in a house on a 1/2 acre of land.  But still even some of them have useful info...and you have to just weed through it to find stuff you like.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 05:28:06 pm »
No trainer is perfect and if anyone "idolizes" Cesar than they have serious issues.  I do like his show and think he is really good with dogs.  We have used some of his techniques and they work.  If anything we feel more confident with Lucah...we know that we don't have to be "vicitims" to his behavior.  If anything Cesar reminds us who is in charge and to be diligent with your dogs.

I get the biggest laugh when he has to tell people that their dogs are not there children...and they don't want to believe him.  But all of this just reminds us how we should act around our dogs in order to make better lives for all.

I have read many behavorist books and all of them can rub a person the wrong way...usually they live on farms and have nothing to do but lecture and train, so they really seem to not think about "working" people with dogs.  If even feels like they don't think it's a good idea to have a dog unless you live in a house on a 1/2 acre of land.  But still even some of them have useful info...and you have to just weed through it to find stuff you like.
I couldn't have said it better myself! ;D I always say, "like with raising my children,I take what I can use from the "experts" & leave the rest!
I don't think I got a chance to welcome you to BPO so welcome! :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:02:22 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 03:29:31 am »
I think my favorite person on his show has been the lady with Beauford, the boxer. She didn't want him to help her train him, she wanted him to find Beauford a girlfriend. He started to try to tell her that Beauford wasn't, in fact, one of her relatives reincarnated, but she wouldn't hear it, so he finally just gave up. At the end of the show, when the female was there, the lady dressed her up in doggy lingerie. Seeing a boxer in a pink silk nightie just cracked me up!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:26 am »
I think my favorite person on his show has been the lady with Beauford, the boxer. She didn't want him to help her train him, she wanted him to find Beauford a girlfriend. He started to try to tell her that Beauford wasn't, in fact, one of her relatives reincarnated, but she wouldn't hear it, so he finally just gave up. At the end of the show, when the female was there, the lady dressed her up in doggy lingerie. Seeing a boxer in a pink silk nightie just cracked me up!

That one made me cringe pretty big.  She had that "look" in her eye like you really couldn't trust her with sharp objects.  I do wonder how she could afford such a nice house though.  Not that she couldn't hold down a job, but it definately seems like she fell into some money from somewhere.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 02:55:59 pm »
I like Caesar Milan.  He gives families the confidence enough to become the pack leader.  He teaches the people to "lead" their dog.  THe key is consistancy and confidence.  While not every dog he works with turns around 100% he has given people another option to try.  Most of the time that dogs have issues is because we as owners have issues.  We let dogs get by with telling us what to do.  Dogs have US trained well.  Caesar recogizes this and works to change it.

*stands up and applauds Caesar*  ;)
shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 01:08:38 am »

That one made me cringe pretty big.  She had that "look" in her eye like you really couldn't trust her with sharp objects.  I do wonder how she could afford such a nice house though.  Not that she couldn't hold down a job, but it definately seems like she fell into some money from somewhere.

I know, she definitely looked like she should've been in a trailer somewhere instead of a nice house. I didn't mean she was my favorite in a I-want-to-be-friends-with-her kind of way, it was more of a I-want-to-laugh-at-her kind of way :)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 02:35:18 am »

I know, she definitely looked like she should've been in a trailer somewhere instead of a nice house. I didn't mean she was my favorite in a I-want-to-be-friends-with-her kind of way, it was more of a I-want-to-laugh-at-her kind of way :)
Careful...careful...I lived in a mobile home for 6 yrs. before we bought our nice house...Try to remember that not everyone comes from the same walk of life who read these forums.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 02:37:08 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 07:30:46 pm »
I also think it's cool how everyone in my neighborhood does the Cesar "shhh" when walking their dogs.  I live in a neighborhood with all sorts of incomes and education levels, but it seems like Cesar is just crossing all sorts of lines.

I personally don't do the "shhh", but I do see the point of associating a sound that makes the dog stop doing things.