Author Topic: When will they stop fighting?  (Read 14054 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: When will they stop fighting?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 10:19:58 am »
i know EXACTLY how you feel (minus the 9 y/o).  we have a 1 y/o boy and a 3 y/o boy.  boy, can it get hectic!  i can say, toys r us has a jeep double stroller for like $70 that's great!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266102&cp=2255983.2256189.2256200&parentPage=family

well ill check that out, thanks! i was going to get that one initially when i went searching for one because we had the jeep liberty one or whatever it is and loved it, but the double got some bad reviews. so i go getting a fancier more $ one and it's crap! i can't even sell it, i've tried MANY times.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 10:28:26 am »
Ok honestly the separate crating is not traumatizing. Since a crate is their den/bedroom, I bet they'll be psyched to have their own, their place to get away and chew a bone or take a nap and not get disturbed.

For walks, are you using a harness or leash and collar. I highly recommend a harness cause then you don't feel bad pulling them and making them walk. Also do you carry like jerky training treats? Those could help a lot!

For socialization, I agree shots are really important but socialization is even more important. Sniffing noses and saying hi is fine. Smelling poop is NOT! So I still highly recommend getting out there and letting them meet as many pups as you can. If anything you can post on craigslist in the pet section and see if there is anyone in the area that is willing to meet up and do some puppy socialization. You can meet up at a park or something!

I know that they will go #2 somewhere besides the perimeter but they are kinda wrapping you around their paw by making you cater to them and think that that is the only place they'll go. If you stand wherever you want them to go long enough, they will go. Pace them back and forth just like a 3 foot wide span and they'll relize this is the place where they'll have to go.

You are doing a fantastic job. I don't have any skin kids and I think 2 pyr pups alone would be enough for me! Keep up the good work, all of the sudden you'll go WOW they are doing it all! Leaving the cats alone, going potty outside, walking...etc! Cheers!

Julie

well when they are left alone that's the only place they poo and when we walk them that's where they take us to go or we take them since it's like the magic spot to get them to squat. i can even tell they need to go BAD and they will hold it until they can get close to their perimeter and then bam. it sure makes cleaning up easy though i must say! and know where not to walk lol. i didn't understand it exactly until i read that pyrs first line of defense is to leave their scent marks around the perimeter of their territory and i already knew about patrolling etc..so that makes sense.  i dont mind going there to potty it's just that sometimes it's a pain in the middle of the night lol. 

thanks for your advice and support..it helps.  i don't have a harness no, but that would be a good idea huh? i'll get that then, i'll try anything! some things that are right in front of my face i don't even think of. :P

and i only crated them together since i was going on my breeders advice, i figured i'd trust what she said since she bred them, but i will be happy to seperate them now lol. they do love their crate now..so that's nice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:29:09 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:35 am »

well ill check that out, thanks! i was going to get that one initially when i went searching for one because we had the jeep liberty one or whatever it is and loved it, but the double got some bad reviews. so i go getting a fancier more $ one and it's crap! i can't even sell it, i've tried MANY times.
[/quote]

i really like it!  i don't like the ones that are one up front and one in back b/c it limits the view in the back and our kids would get frustrated and act out very quickly (mainly our 3 year old acting against our 1 y/o).  the only thing is it doesn't have storage, and if you're somewhere with just regular doors it's kinda hard to get in.  we're fortunate enough though that our mall and a lot of our stores have double-doors that make it super easy to get in.  toys-r-us also has a few of the front and back strollers that look nice for an ok price.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:27 pm »
Lily is 8 months and 10 days (I am not counting!). I love her to death! I have to admit I don't know if I would be able to train or just deal with her if I had children. You must be very brave!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09:13 pm »
Ok I have to jump in on this, the reason that they go to the perimeter is because they are Pyrs. Pyrs will go to the very edge of thier "property" to mark and let the predators know that they are there- that this is thier place. Even though yours are probably not having to guard against coyotes or wolves, this is instinctive. Pyrs also dig, allow them one area of the yard that is thiers to dig until thier hearts are content. If not, you are going to have a couple of very frustrated Pyrs and then next thing you know, you are replacing carpet (if you have any) Its almost a necessity for them to dig. If you dont want your yard with holes- get them a sand box- let them know that it is thiers.
I currently have a 3 1/2 month old male Pyr. We have not done any obedience training yet. I am sure that he will get that- but right now the older girls are teaching him all about life, including when to bark at the coyotes and how to patrol the perimeter fencing. Tug is crate trained- and pretty much potty trained- we are still working on that though.
I also agree on the water bottle. It is a god send in most instances. All I have to do is pick mine up and they sprout halos and wings.
Also get ready for the butt head stage. They go thru a stage, usually around or right after 6 mos of age, and they will not listen to you or pay you any attention at all, for any reason. My theory is that this is the stage at which they determine that they have to grow up and become independent. And being a Pyr, they are pretty sure that they are smarter than you. This is when you have to be strong and keep reminding them that you are the boss. I have gone thru this with 4 Pyrs now, and I am interested in how the baby will handle it since the girls are mothering him and teaching him the rules of life.  You will get your Pyr back at some point after they are a year old- one day they will look at you and you will know- that stage has ended.
Another bit of advice- listen about the socialization, you have small children- these pups are going to guard your kids. Make sure that they are well socialized with young children- other wise your kids will have a problem with thier friends coming over in the future. A young child is no match for an over bearing, 120 pound Pyrenees who instinctively knows that protecting his kids is his soul purpose in life.
Welcome to the world of the Pyrenees. If I didnt adore them so much, I certainly wouldnt have four of them. I really am looking forward to more pics of the two.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »
Ok I have to jump in on this, the reason that they go to the perimeter is because they are Pyrs. Pyrs will go to the very edge of thier "property" to mark and let the predators know that they are there- that this is thier place. Even though yours are probably not having to guard against coyotes or wolves, this is instinctive. Pyrs also dig, allow them one area of the yard that is thiers to dig until thier hearts are content. If not, you are going to have a couple of very frustrated Pyrs and then next thing you know, you are replacing carpet (if you have any) Its almost a necessity for them to dig. If you dont want your yard with holes- get them a sand box- let them know that it is thiers.
I currently have a 3 1/2 month old male Pyr. We have not done any obedience training yet. I am sure that he will get that- but right now the older girls are teaching him all about life, including when to bark at the coyotes and how to patrol the perimeter fencing. Tug is crate trained- and pretty much potty trained- we are still working on that though.
I also agree on the water bottle. It is a god send in most instances. All I have to do is pick mine up and they sprout halos and wings.
Also get ready for the butt head stage. They go thru a stage, usually around or right after 6 mos of age, and they will not listen to you or pay you any attention at all, for any reason. My theory is that this is the stage at which they determine that they have to grow up and become independent. And being a Pyr, they are pretty sure that they are smarter than you. This is when you have to be strong and keep reminding them that you are the boss. I have gone thru this with 4 Pyrs now, and I am interested in how the baby will handle it since the girls are mothering him and teaching him the rules of life.  You will get your Pyr back at some point after they are a year old- one day they will look at you and you will know- that stage has ended.
Another bit of advice- listen about the socialization, you have small children- these pups are going to guard your kids. Make sure that they are well socialized with young children- other wise your kids will have a problem with thier friends coming over in the future. A young child is no match for an over bearing, 120 pound Pyrenees who instinctively knows that protecting his kids is his soul purpose in life.
Welcome to the world of the Pyrenees. If I didnt adore them so much, I certainly wouldnt have four of them. I really am looking forward to more pics of the two.
Ok, now I have a question to you. Lily is completely housebroken. She doesn't even go on the deck BUT...when we have friends over with their dogs she would pee on the floor (carpet, tile...). Is she marking her territory? Or just being lazy independent Pyr who just doen't want to bother to go outside? (the last one is mine opinion!)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 12:23:46 pm »
Being a pyr- she is probably marking her territory. Instincts are really strong in most Pyrs. However she could just be telling you that she is not thrilled to be sharing with other dogs. Has she gone thru the difficult, hard headed, I will do as I please, and yes I hear you, cant you tell that I am ignoring you? (otherwise known as the butt head) stage..

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 12:29:40 pm »
Also get ready for the butt head stage. They go thru a stage, usually around or right after 6 mos of age, and they will not listen to you or pay you any attention at all, for any reason. My theory is that this is the stage at which they determine that they have to grow up and become independent. And being a Pyr, they are pretty sure that they are smarter than you. This is when you have to be strong and keep reminding them that you are the boss. I have gone thru this with 4 Pyrs now, and I am interested in how the baby will handle it since the girls are mothering him and teaching him the rules of life. You will get your Pyr back at some point after they are a year old- one day they will look at you and you will know- that stage has ended.

Thank you for all your advice and experience!  I was aware of the marking thing, I think it's pretty cool personally haha. They actually did find the kids sandbox one day they were playing in it and went to town, it was hysterical..an d any time it's open they go nuts in there.  Didn't think about getting them their own, that would be a good idea.  We don't have any kids come around so that's a hard one but I do know how important it is, I've read that in my books too..so I want to get them out and about more. Hubby wanted to take them for a ride up to work tomorrow haha. I have a friend w/2 little ones but some people are nervous around dogs or dogs that aren't tiny. These have a habit of getting a little rough with the little ones and I have to always watch of course to make sure enough is enough. Yiska especially likes to nip at them, it's not mean but it's her way of playing and I have to watch it. Yukon mainly just gives kisses.

Wow, you've had 4- that's awesome. I hear about that stage they go through you mentioned and that scares me a little lol..but I'm expecting it at least.

Oh and I picked up the spray bottle today so I can start using that and see what happens. I haven't needed to use it yet. :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 12:39:26 pm »
Julie- we are going to have to work on getting you a Pyr. HA HA HA HA oh and just so every will know that I am nuts, I currently have 4. We call them the Polar Bear pack.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »
Hey I just wanted to throw in that I'm sorry about the poop around the fence perimeter response I had, I did not know that that was a typical Pyr trait. I thought it was stubbornosity! haha! I swear I am learning new things on this board everyday! Thanks Paige and everyone else who posted it as well!! I have never had Pyrs so take all of my advice with a big ol' grain o'salt!

had to modify cause I am a dork!

lol, yeah I was thinking, no but they really do need to poop there! lol.  Funny thing is though since I get yard duty you don't know how many times I am grateful to have a Pyr. With as much as they go and considering it's the size of a full grown Golden Retriever at only 3 mos old (EWW)- I am VERY happy they will only go in certain areas, we have a large yard and it makes an unpleasant job MUCH easier. ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:08:17 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:20 am »
Welcome to the world of Great Pyrenees. Your babies are sooooooooooo cute.  It is a good thing that are that cute or they would never make it past 6 months.  Just kidding, I am so hooked on Pyrs I could never see me with out a few.  I have three Pyrs.  Sugar Bear is my 2 1/2 year old male. Dixie Darlin' is my alpha bitch andis 2 years old. Penny Lane is my baby at 8 1/2 months old.

I have found that is really is necessary for me to have one on one time with each of them.  I had a lot going on after getting Penny and I did not get her out as much as the other two. Now we are doing two weekly trips since she is at the second fear period. She is a show dog but when she got in the ring for the first time she was just sure she was a bucking bronco, so it is back to lead time 101. 

Oh as far as the boy and marking in the house it took me almost 11 months to break Sugar Bear of that. For him it was when I take him to work with me he wanted to mark each desk, chair, trash can, and on and on. For me boys have taken a lot longer and a lot more work to potty train.

Lisa
Owned by Sugar Bear, Dixie Darlin', and Penny Lane
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 12:54:11 am »
How is the play fighting going? It took me forever with Sugar Bear and Dixie to learn that they really were playing and not fighting. I will try to get some video of mine on youtube. They sound like they are going to kill each other but it is all in good fun for them.  Penny Lane is very vocal when she is playing.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 02:41:46 am »
How is the play fighting going? It took me forever with Sugar Bear and Dixie to learn that they really were playing and not fighting. I will try to get some video of mine on youtube. They sound like they are going to kill each other but it is all in good fun for them.  Penny Lane is very vocal when she is playing.

Lisa

Oh that's a great picture! they are beautiful. :-* Well my breeder told me the same thing when we were out there to pick them up, about the 2 females fighting, they would wake up at night to the sounds thinking for sure someone was going to be torn up but they never were. I'd love to see some video of yours to compare. I will try to take some of mine later. I don't know, it really seems like real fighting and somebody always ends up crying, it's hard to tell.

Good to know about the males being more difficult, maybe that is going to be the case or IS the case haha. I just don't know about him. He can hold it longer than her in the crate and doesn't need out as much as she does..she also pees multiple times in the yard, but inside it's always him going? So maybe it is marking. Kinda sucks but I keep reminding myself that one day he won't do it anymore and carpets can be cleaned- again lol. I'll just keep at it!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 02:42:27 am »
Oh and Yukon is the most vocal of the 2 also. All the growling and dramatic sounds are always coming from him lol.