Author Topic: OK I AM TOTALLY FREAKING OUT HERE *Vet Update*  (Read 6983 times)

Nicole

OK I AM TOTALLY FREAKING OUT HERE *Vet Update*
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:55:49 pm »
So, I took Mabel to the groomer's yesterday. Ever since we got her (as a stray from the HS), she was SO SO SO matted. I took her to the self-serve dog wash, and the groomer their shaved the major stuff off of her rump.

Well, I figured I'd just shave her all the way down, because she was super matted, and I couldn't get them all out with the rake. I figured I'd just start over before her winter coat started coming in.

Anyway, so the groomer yesterday is clipping her neck, and she says, "Have you had this dog to the vet?"

"Umm...yes. Why?"

"Her lymph nodes are HUGE. Come feel"

I go feel. They are indeed huge. I'm freaking. I run out to the car and make an appointment for this Saturday. (soonest they can get her in)

She also has a lump on her back...vaccina tion site. Grr..

Anyway, so I'm googling "enlarged lymph nodes in dogs". I'm finding a ton of stuff about CANCER. Please tell me my old girl that I've only had the opportunity to love for 2 months doesn't have CANCER?!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:08:34 pm by Nicole »

EllieAndBlu

Re: OK I AM TOTALLY FREAKING OUT HERE
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:20:51 pm »
Oh, hun ... enlarged lymph nodes can mean SO many things.  As the person who has had her arm pit lymph nodes so swollen from a cold she couldn't put her arms down, I will certainly testify to that.  Although they CAN swell from cancer, they can also swell when the body is fighting ANY virus or bacteria.  If she has a vaccine reaction bump, her lymph nodes could even be reacting to that.

Try to breathe ... she's doing well otherwise, right?  So you probably have no reason to worry.  I'll bet it's just some little ickyness the vet will be able to pinpoint and take care of.  

I totally second everything Jenn says!

Your lady is feeling well... so try to remain calm sweetie and see if the vet can squeeze you in.

Sending lots of hugs to you and Miss Mabel and keeping y'all in my thoughts!

p.s. I too get the enlarged armpit node when fighting colds, etc...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:22:14 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:38:44 pm »
Well, she had the vaccine bump ever since I brought her home from the HS. (BEFORE the vaccines...I'm just concerned that its a vaccine tumor?)

She is really lethargic and doesn't eat much, but I just attribute that to the fact that she's 11.

I'm just worried now. I hope she just has a lil' ol' cold.

I read that that lymphoma cancer stuff is really prevalent in Goldens? I think she's mixed with Golden.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:48:58 pm »
Well, really Saturday is the only day I can take her, too. I've kind of been...uh...fl exing a lot of time at work this week. It would be hard to pull off a vet appointment.

Its only 2 days. I'll make it. Why did I start reading about that stuff anyway?!

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:22 pm »
Awwww sending good vibes your way. Hang in there Nicole.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:16:01 pm »
Are they swollen bi-lateral or just one side?

Last winter May had swollen lymph nodes in her neck of course I panicked and rushed her to the vet. Turned out to be nothing... my vet said in the neck bi-lateral is usually a good sign while if it was only one side she would be worried. She sent me home said "Keep an eye on them and if in a week they are worse or not somewhat smaller bring her back. They were fine after about 6 days or so.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:28:39 pm by VdogLover »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:42 pm »
Swollen Lymph nodes are prevelant with many ailments so try not to make yourself crazy.  My daughter went into the hospital with swollen lymph nodes and it turned out to be TOTALLY unrelated to what she actually had????

I hope everything works out on Saturday

Randy & Harley

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:36:40 pm »
Aw,  Nicole. Im sure your lil lady will be just fine. But we are hoping for nothing but the best.
You know, Rebas swell up sometime too, but she is healthy, had it checked, just some sort of cold or something?? lol it just looks (and feels) gross. lol anyways, good luck at the vet- we're sittin patiently, waiting for updates
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:09:24 pm »
I'm sure everyone is right, lymph nodes can swell for any little infection, but all paws crossed here for the very best news. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:32 pm »
Good luck at the vet, Nicole! We are sending you bunch of very relaxing vibes  :-*  Calm down and take it easy...Let's hope that there is nothing serioous
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:39:04 pm »
awww, thanks you guys. I'm trying to be calm. I guess its like...you know, when I adopted her, I thought, "ok...this is an old dog, you never know how long you'll have her." So, its sort of the realization of serious fears, you know? And I really love her SO much. She's just the biggest sweetie.

Vdoglover,
They're swollen kind of in the front? Does that sound right? It seems like both of them, though. It seems like I distinctly felt two in there. So, that makes me feel better that your vet said both is better. Phew.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:36 pm »
Thanks, Jackie. I know I'm probably overreacting, but like you said, its hard to be a good mama without doing that!

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:01 pm »
good luck at the vets    :-\
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:17:34 am »
well dont read any more! it could possibly mean nothing at all. try to focus on something else, and I HATE WAITING so i know how terrible it is to have 2 more days to go. realy realy hoping for good news, keep updating. prayrs 2 u.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 04:23:43 pm »
Thanks, you guys. Last night I told Mark what I was worried about, and he said the same thing, "STOP READING THAT CRAP!"

I felt her nodes again last night, they're really big and very hard. I'm so scared. I know that I shouldn't think about it until I've been to the vet, but I'm just...terrifi ed.

Also, my vet is a really great guy, but I don't know about his capability to treat...you know...so I'm nervous about that, too, if it should come to it.

I'm going to go to my vet appointment early tomorrow and see if they can get me in.