Author Topic: What do you do with your dogs when you go out of town?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
What do you do with your dogs when you go out of town?
« on: July 31, 2005, 08:05:23 pm »
Hey folks,
I am wondering you do with your pooches when you leave town? My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a vacation and we have quite a crew now, so we are not exactly sure what to do with Nigel, Zoot, Sunshine Bear, Rushmore (a terrier), Will's new dog with no name yet, and Don Gato the cat. Last time I went out of town I had my roommate take care of my guys, but now my "roommate" is my boyfriend, and he's coming with me!
What are your viewpoints? And especially, what do you think about boarding kennels?

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your dogs when you go out of town?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 08:40:46 pm »
Kennels can be a great experience -check them out and get references!
My neighbors had a dog sitter that FORGOT to come and take care
of their dog!  AHHHHHHH!  That could be scary!  I like taking my dogs
to the kennel.  I worry when they are at home with someone here
watching them....becaus e no one can take care of them like me!
(I think that, but I am starting to realize that it's just not true) :)

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:30:23 am »
We have always kenneled our dogs. We found an amazing kennel that we are so happy with. When we had two rottis they put them in side by side kennels so they could l be together b/c they opened up to each others kennel. The floors are heated-we usually go away in the winter. They walk them outside a few times a day. Very ,  nice people , the owner use to be a vet tech. Super clean. They even give your dog a bath before you pick them up. Katie our rotti that passed hated getting a bath-yet so was sooooooooo good fo them--so that tells me alot!!!
We asked around and I had a friend that used this kennel too. Try 1 or two nights before you go away to see if you like a certain kennel first. Good Luck.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:01:02 am »
I haven't checked into any kennels in my area, and went on vacation this past week. I left my pup here with my hubby, and after the first day he realized he was gonna be working too long this week for her to be here by herself.  He sent her with a friend of mine that has a boxer pup. Here's a tip, don't let a friend take them unless you know they are gonna give them back. I got home last night and it seems that my friend became a little attatched to her and was too busy to bring her back, she is supposed to bring her back today... the other problem, she let my pup sleep with her all week instead of crating her. So, I know that is going to be an issue when she gets home.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 09:10:51 am »
Sounds like you may have to put an A.P.B out on Felony.lol . I wouldn't give her back either. ;D

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:31:13 am »
I've sent my pups to stay with a dog-trainer friend and have also kenneled them at both a vet's office (where they were crated) and to a puppy day-care kennel. Of course having the friend care for them was better as far as my dogs were concerned, although not so good on my pocketbook ... the dogs were undoubtedly somewhat stressed out and ended up chewing up a bathroom door and an exterior screen door (they have a thing about shut doors ;-)  So, naturally, I felt obligated to pay for repairs.  :-( 

I like kenneling them at the day care best ... they're in enclosures (6'x12'), have beds and regular play and walk times.  Bonus .. they don't get opportunities to chew up anyone's doors. :-)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 09:49:01 am »
Thanks for all the feedback. One of our friends just recommended a local kennel, so we are going to go visit. Our friend has an older dane who has a really hard time when they go out of town, but apparently at this kennel she does really well and doesn't get neurotic. That sounds good. I really wish I could just take everyone with me.
Several years ago I went out of town for one night and left my two Siberian Huskies with a friend. Well, when I came back in town and went to pick up my dogs, there was only one. They had both escaped in the night and only my grey girl came back. My red girl was never found.  :'(
So as you can imagine I am nervous about leaving any dogs behind. I guess even though the kennel option is more stressful on the dogs, it is probably safer, and like Joji said, they can't destroy someone's house!

Offline vonissk

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 11:13:59 am »
I am going on vacation next month and I have definately decided to kennel my dogs at my vet's.  I know it is more stressful BUT they would be together and they would securely confined.  In case of a medical emergency they are at the right place!!  I also have a parakeet, fish and a cat.  I plan to leave out mega food for the bird and cat and have someone come in every couple of days and check on them.  The fish I will put vacation feeders in.  I had surgery in May and was hospitalized for 5 days--I left the dogs here and hired someone to come in several times a day and they not only brought someone else over here they went through things and used the computer.  So I'll never do that again.  The girls I am going to have come in this time work for our tribe and they are reliable and dependable.  I sure hate to kennel my dogs but I think it is the best alternative.  Minta

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 12:24:23 pm »
You mean people actually still get to go out of town?  ;)

Seriously, the family hasn't ALL gone away in so long.  Usually either Jay or I can't, so it hasn't been a problem.  Kennels and Petsitters both had their pluses and minuses.  If we ever go out, I'm usually lucky enough to have a friend or family member stay to watch the crew.  Though Tenchi usually goes EVERYwhere with me since he has SA and occasionally has grand mal seizures.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 12:28:22 pm »
I board my dogs at a nice place out in the farm lands.  They spend the day in a big fenced in area with the occasional dog playmate.  They get 2 meals a day, and sleep inside in cages at night.  They don't get a lot of human interaction like at home but at least they are not bored at home waiting for someone to come let them out.

They always sleep for at least 2 days when I pick them up.  I think they think it is camp or something. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline da-bear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 03:11:40 pm »
I was lucky enough to find a petsitter on Craigslist who lives right down the road from my house.  She takes the dogs at her house and keeps them with her family and her dog which is great for their socialization and their comfort.  Luckily, both dogs LOVE it there!
We had some problems in the past with kenneling the dogs at a vet's office.  We had to go away for a wedding one weekend (which turns into about 4 days for the kennel since we can't pick up on Sundays because they're closed... >:(
Stella, our mix, is not so good with strangers and would bark at anyone who came near her.  At one kennel we tried, she came back to us with a cut over her eye because she lunged at the cage door.
At the vet's the last weekend they stayed there, we got Millie (the Saint) back with a urinary tract infection.  At a vet's office!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 03:34:15 pm »
Although it's been probably 15 years or so, we did board our dogs once. I researched and found a kennel that seemed great, clean and caring, and left the pups for 5 days. They were healthy when I got them back, but it took them almost a week or so to get over the separation anxiety every time we left the house. Since then I am lucky enough to have my Mom come and stay at my house to take care of my guys, and I take care of hers when she goes out of town in return. Family rocks.
Stella