Author Topic: My feelings were kind of hurt (rant)  (Read 5592 times)

BabsT

My feelings were kind of hurt (rant)
« on: August 04, 2005, 07:45:41 am »
My sister used to own a big ole (160) Anatolian Shepherd and had to get rid of him due to such a strong temp...bit 3 people but not badly.  She worked full time socialized him up until 6 months and he stayed in a kennel while she was at work (full time)  Came home at lunch and then went back to work

I am home full time with my dog and he is socialized and goes everywhere with me since he was 9 weeks old.  I enjoy his company and it is good for him because he has a stoooong defensive drive, so he needs to go out and about everday to learn the world around him

She got mad at me because I was taking him to the lake (like I always dog) and he does fine and LOVES IT...He is on a 20' lead to a tree and he is quite content playing the water and lying in the sand.  He does get protective but never went after anyone but he lets you know he is there long before you see him

She thinks I should keep my dog home because he needs to learn to be home alone...My response was, there are many occasions that he stays home alone and is 100% fine with being alone, so what is the issue?

Then she wouldnt let me take her kids overnight because I give my dog too much attention...I went off because I watch her kids for her while she works (nurse) and now she doesnt trust me taking them overnight to the lake because of my dog

My dog has showed ZERO aggression to those that he loves, My 2 yr old niece can build a sand castle on his head and he just lays there.  Her boys were at my house the other day playing in my yard with Zero and he did wonderful...di dnt knock anyone over and didnt chase..just followed them around

Then she is upset because I am adding another dog to my home and she thinks that is too much BUT she has 2 dogs a BT and a Schiperkee.  I understand bother are small but all dogs require the same needs.  I couldnt tell ya the last time her dogs went out for a walk :(  I take Zero 3 X's a day and she gives me grief over that because she claims that when I have a newborn baby down the road that I wont be able to continue taking my dog(s) for walks

I said, I cant walk the dog and the baby at the same time?  She replies, dogs and carriages dont mix....while my sis in law always walks her dog in the carriage....

I am just so bothered that she has so much to say about MY dog and what I do with him and the fact that I am getting another one...she says I am selfish...I feel that she is jealous because she had to get rid of asik

Sorry for the rant

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: My feelings were kind of hurt (rant)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 08:02:33 am »
She sounds very jealous.  Just another reason why loving our fur-babies is so easy.  I bet she would not like it if you told her she did not need that many kids.  It is your dog and your life, she does not get to tell you how to live it.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 08:07:49 am »
Honestly, I don't think you should take it personally. It's got to be  hard for her that you have more time to spend with your dog then she has to spend with her kids. Plus, she wasn't able to raise a large dog to have a good temperment so she doesn't think that can either. She sounds jealous, and it's unfortunate, but I hope you guys fon't let this hurt your relationship.
RIP former BPO

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:14:31 am »
It sounds like she is very jealous, and how can you be selfish, I don't anyone, besides you that takes there dogs for walks 3X a day! That is great. You are far from selfish. Sounds like she resents the fact that you still have your big beautiful dog that is so well behaved and she no longer has hers.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:14:31 am »
If I can manage to walk 2 Shilohs, 115 lbs & 85lbs, with a 1100lb horse, I see no reason why you couldnt wall 1 or 2 dogs with a baby. I have no skin kids, my kids all have fur. All my animals learn to go along with whatever program we have. I don't have time to exercise the 3 individually everyday so we all go together. Yeah, I have to go along with the jealousy idea.
Carolyn
Carolyn

BabsT

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 08:24:54 am »
Thanks everyone...It makes me sad but I guess I feel the same way...Here is my vicious beast with kids

BabsT

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 08:27:37 am »
Oh, I called her on it and we really havent said much since...The funny thing is, we are very close...My father who likes dogs but isnt remotely like me even said, you dog doesnt bother anyone down there...My mom even cooks for him LOL

I am well aware of my dog capabilites and his protectiveness along with his defensive drives.  I dont put him in situations that he cant handle.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 08:32:57 am »
AWWW he's sooo cute.  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:35:56 am »
What a shame your sister has chosen to attack you through your dog and the way you have integrated him into your life. Since it's your sister, I know it's not easy to just ignore her comments and her decision to not allow you to watch her kids. I'm sure you recognize it is her choice regarding her kids. You have to respect her decision to do what she believes is best for her children, just as she should respect your decision to do what is best for your dog.

Having said all the logical stuff, I want to add, she's on the losing end of the deal. We know what love and joy dogs bring into our lives and she's missing out plus she's preventing her kids from knowing that joy. It sounds like you are socializing your dog very well and I think her advice to you on raising dogs is pretty bad advice. It's too bad she doesn't see it that way; maybe one of these days she'll see the puppy light.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 08:40:11 am »
She trusts me with her children just not overnight at the lake...Mind you I am not alone there...my other sister and my sister in law is there too with their kids...Annoyed me along with my mom...I am 26 yrs old, married, with a boy of my own...it just hurts thats all

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 08:47:45 am »
I agree with everyone else on the board, it sounds like jealousy to me. I know when my sister is under a lot of stress or is having a bad day she always takes it out on me. We live an hour apart but talk daily on the phone. Sometimes she will call me and all of a sudden start B%&ch*&g at me for no apparent reason. In a couple of days she calms down and explains herself. I hope that your sister will come around and realize that you are not doing anything wrong or abnormal, but you are being the absolute best dog mom there could ever be!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 08:47:59 am »
Totally understand that it hurts, she is not only punishing you she is punishing her children too.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:32:17 am »
WOW!...How many dogs you have & what you do with them is no ones business but your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...It really sounds to me like she needs to sweep her own porch before she starts sweeping yours...Do you even like this woman?...I'm sorry but I had the same thing in my own extended family...My mom threatened to write me out of the will if I got another dog...I sit & pet Pippin & wonder how much I was gonna get & I know that no matter what he is worth it!...lol...I have chosen not to interact much with the people in my extended family who don't bring much positive into my life...It is very liberating...I don't know if this is your situation at all...From what you said though I wouldn't want to be around someone that is so negative family or not...She not only sounds jealous...she sounds bitter too...Remember, people can only make us feel how we allow them to make us feel...Sorry if I sound p.o.'d but this hits SO close to home. >:(

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 09:54:30 am »
My goodness, I agree with Gypsy, what a sad bitter and angry lady. It's amazing that she can take so much time out from her busy life to tell you how to run your life! BTW< I took three dobermans @ 100 LBS each, a baby carriage and a seven year old (on a bike) walking while wearing rollerblades for at least an hour every day. You can do anything you put your mind to because children,dogs and walks are not mutually exclusive.
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:58 am »
Thanks everyone...It makes me sad but I guess I feel the same way...Here is my vicious beast with kids
Oh!...He looks so viscous!...lol!...He is a doll baby!...I love him!!