Author Topic: Question about rescues  (Read 12512 times)

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Question about rescues
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »
Would a legit rescue need to advertise in the local paper for dogs?
This ad seems very strange to me, but it could just be me so I am asking....

WANTED; Any purebred border collies in need of a new home, we can help. Sweet BC Rescue

I took the phone number out.

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Question about rescues
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:14:02 pm »
Thanks, I didn't think it sounded right. Any idea on who to contact other than the newspaper that is carrying the ad? Humane society?

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:06 pm »
What about contacting the national club and asking them if this is one they recognize or have affiliations with?
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:03:44 am »
Great idea! I'll search now and send them an email. Appreciate the help! We have had a rash of "rescues" who have turned out to be not a  rescue but a pit fighting group looking for bait:( So this just makes me nervous.

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:54:29 am »
I hear ya. Sometimes you read something and it just strikes an 'off' note. I'd be suspicious too. Hope this one turns out to be legit.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:59:13 am »
They could just be trying to get the word out to owners looking to place their BCs that they can help.

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:38:42 am »
They could just be trying to get the word out to owners looking to place their BCs that they can help.

I hope so! But I'd feel much better checking it out for some reason, it is a gut thing, lol.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:29 am »
Here is what comes up on search for "Sweet BC Rescue" http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/sbcr.htm
Since I do not know what paper the ad was ran in I'm not sure if its the same rescue? You can compare the phone numbers though to verify.

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:02 am »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:50:57 am »
From looking at their site they look legit to me adoption process, fees, turning in a pet...they all seem to be in line with most rescues.

Hey if your a BC lover and in their area they need foster homes :)

And yes I agree if you have doubts, question...It never hurts to double check things.

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »
I certainly feel better. I just found it strange a rescue needed to advert for dogs, usually there are so many needing rescue, no need for that! And the fact they only take purebreds...ju st made me jumpy. I was under the impression most rescues would take in mixed as well as pure.

Learn something new everyday, no matter our age I guess:) Thanks again for all the help.

Offline Love Me Forever

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:15:07 pm »
Here in NV the overpet population is so bad that we have rescues place ads in the paper. I dont find anything wrong with it. People still have in their heads that rescue dogs are not as good somehow as dogs offered from a private home. As a rescue owner, I have thought about doing it myself for dogs that I just cant place (I have one dog that I have had for almost a year) but its expensive and if I dont get a response I just wasted food money for it.
Advertising is advertising. Its hard to think that a rescue is a business but it is. If the rescue doesnt think like a business then it wont be around for long.
As long as the group is doing good things and placing the dogs with contracts and home checks, I say go for it!
Barbara

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:17:41 pm »
I agree they need to use whatever means possible to place dogs. This was a dogs wanted ad though which kinda raised my hinky meter a bit.

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
I live in BC Canada.
There are rescues who advertise all the time.
I think they would do so in order to prevent an animal
from ever entering the system.  In our province we are mostly
no kill in our shelters (only when necessary-although I know exceptions).  There are many breed specific rescues out there.
Take FORM for example.  Friends Of Rescued Mastiff's.  They are breed specific, and for the most part do not take other breeds in.
I think the majority of the public do not know there are rescues working outside of shelters.  Advertising in the paper is a way for them to get their name out there.  I know I didn't know such things existed till I got involved with the SPCA.  Where I am we work with breed specific rescues, especially pitty's.  Always a whole wack of them around here.

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:52:44 pm »
I live in BC Canada.
There are rescues who advertise all the time.
I think they would do so in order to prevent an animal
from ever entering the system.  In our province we are mostly
no kill in our shelters (only when necessary-although I know exceptions).  There are many breed specific rescues out there.
Take FORM for example.  Friends Of Rescued Mastiff's.  They are breed specific, and for the most part do not take other breeds in.
I think the majority of the public do not know there are rescues working outside of shelters.  Advertising in the paper is a way for them to get their name out there.  I know I didn't know such things existed till I got involved with the SPCA.  Where I am we work with breed specific rescues, especially pitty's.  Always a whole wack of them around here.

Good point. I'm sorry I even brought this up now. Thanks all.