Author Topic: HD, Growing Pains, or Something Else?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
HD, Growing Pains, or Something Else?
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:53 pm »
 :o :o :o Today I took Miles for a walk down to the lake. I let him swim for a bit, then we walked home. On the way back, I happened to put my hands on his hips to sort of guide him/get the show on the road....he was being a slow poke because he saw another dog. (Procrastinator just like his mom ::)) Anyway, I put my hands on his hips and I felt them pop has he walked! It scared the bejeezus out of me!!!

Now, I'm all freaked out that he's got major hip issues. Which, If I didn't put my hands there, I never would have known! He acts the same as he always does. No issues getting up or down. He runs and jumps and plays, just like a happy healthy 120 pound puppy would.

Obviously you guys are not veterinarians, and I know the only way to know for sure would be to take him to the vet, but what do you guys think about this "popping"? It's not a noise maker, I just FELT it. And like I said, I never would've known if I didn't put my hands on his hips. Do you think he has hip dysplasia, do you think he's just growing into his joints, or do you have a different idea?

Never the less, I gave him some glucosamine today! Now, about how many mg should I be giving per day?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

Re: HD, Growing Pains, or Something Else?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:49:02 am »
Most good breeders will test hips and elbows before selling their liters as pets or show dogs.  Of course, HD is a concern for all of us here.  The vet can take XRays and have a look. 
Grace clicks and pops too.  it's mostly in her ankles and knees.  One of the vets at the place I take Grace mentioned OCD, but it was at the same time I had her in for her right ACL issue and the vet said it was something we'd have to (maybe) confront this issue in the future. 

Lyn

Re: HD, Growing Pains, or Something Else?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:07:42 am »
How old is Miles now?

Bubba's hips did that, on and off up until he was close to 2 years old. I freaked out too. I took him for x-rays and his hips were rated 'good'. I was sure I was in for an HD diagnosis.

Bubba had never showed any pain or limped on his rear legs. Just the occasional bunny hop which he still does when he and Lola are playing. I sometimes wonder if Bubba's hips were in the correct position for the x-ray. But since he's shown no signs of discomfort I'm trying not to worry about it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:08:56 am by Lyn »