Author Topic: 10 Commandments from a dog's point of view  (Read 4420 times)

Viking Lady

10 Commandments from a dog's point of view
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »
Author Stan Rawlinson

1- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Regular separation from you will be painful and can even cause depression. Think  before you buy me.

2- Give me time to understand what you want from me. Don't be impatient, short-tempered or irritable.

3- Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back, respect is earned not given as some sort of inalienable right.

4-Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. I am not capable of understanding why I am being locked up. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.

5- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your tone. You only have to look at my tail to know that.

6- Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget, if that treatment is unjust or bad, it may spoil the special bond between us.

7- Please do not hit me. I cannot hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I don't ever want to feel the need to do that.

8- Before you tell me off for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be wrong with me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, maybe my heart is getting old and weak, or maybe I'm just dog-tired.

9- Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will get old and will also want care, love, and affection.

10- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Commandments from a dog's point of view
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:16:53 am »
Yup big tears in my eyes; although I leave Harley way more than I want to - I do try to live by the other commandments; number 10 is going to be huge for me if that is that path we have to take someday with Harley.  My last dog was so attached to my husband that he sat with her I waited right outside; but Harley is MY dog lives for me and I will have to be there - I can cry about it now even though he is perfectly happy and only 7, I dread the day more that most people can imagine (but of course not all of you since I know you all feel the same)

It would be a dogs life if more people would read and follow those commandments

Randy and Harley

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:59:58 am »
I was fine until I got to #10.  :'( I don't like thinking about those moments. Thanks for sharing this, though.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:19 am »
The 10 commandments are so true. My husband always went when they had to be PTS. I went with my last 2 that had to be put down. It was very hard, but still comforting in that I was there with them and saw them released from their pain. My last one passed away at home.I wish they could all go that way. It was quick, she was fine the day before, then had a seizure the next morning, went blind and we were with her when she passed.She was 10 years old.
We are their keepers and do our best to do the right things for them. Sometimes it is a hard road but so worth it for all the unconditional love they give us.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

tralfazmom

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:49:02 am »
Thank you for the reminder. In spite of all the doom and gloom we hear every day, the stress we pile on ourselves, and the crazy busy lives we lead, all we need to do is look in the eyes of these creatures who love us without boundaries. Nothing feels better than coming home to those insanely happy tails that greet us regardless of how long we have been gone or how awful our days may have been. I feel honored and privileged to be loved and to share my life with my 3 boys. With that privilege comes the responsibility to them that isn't always easy. I need to keep that in mind, especially when the times are tough. Now, I think I will take these guys for a long walk in the woods and enjoy their pleasure in being just what they were meant to be,,,big, happy, loving dogs.