Author Topic: Another Hurricane - Nooooooooooooooooooo  (Read 33881 times)

Icerotti

Re: Another Hurricane - Nooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2005, 11:49:21 am »
I have been following the storm on CNN. Stay safe everyone. We will be thinking about you all.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2005, 12:20:40 pm »
We had to drive all over town to find sandbags. They ran out of bags before we got to the first location and barely had any bags and sand left at where we finally did get some. I think we have what we need, though.

I've got stuff to make appletinis and cosmopolitans, but no ice.  :-\

We're filling up the tubs with water right now and doing the last of the laundry. Nothing like impending total destruction to get you to clean your house like your inlaws were coming!!

The local news here is NOT very encouraging at all. I'm just glad I'm not right in New Orleans. They are pretty much screwed. The newscasters are saying everything but, "kiss your butt goodbye" and the mayor looks like he hasn't slept in a week.

I'll keep posting as long as I can...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2005, 12:34:33 pm »
yea it isn't really helping that the news keeps saying that this storm is a "monster".  That doesnt make me feel any better.  I am goin to keep on typin as long as possible until the power goes out but hopefully it wont.  Yea  Winston keeps going outside and checking the horses.  He is my big strong man of the house. :D I figure while it isnt really bad i would let them be in the pasture for a while because during Ivan one whole side of our fence was broken so no telling when they would get to go back outside. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2005, 01:17:52 pm »
Everyone watch MSNBC at 3:30 central time - the founder of Noah's Wish will be on talking about Hurricane Preparedness for pets and how she is preparing to come to Houma to help us after the hurricane!! Maybe she'll even mention me!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2005, 01:23:07 pm »
Go Winston you big boy.  He is so good looking, I am sure the will take care of everyone.  I think I will let Sugar Bear and Dixie run around as much as they will before the rain starts.  Can you belive the winds are  at 185. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2005, 01:25:30 pm »
I will be watching. You are so special to be working on taken care of those pets that the owners are not.

Lisa
Everyone watch MSNBC at 3:30 central time - the founder of Noah's Wish will be on talking about Hurricane Preparedness for pets and how she is preparing to come to Houma to help us after the hurricane!! Maybe she'll even mention me!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2005, 01:33:48 pm »
I live right by the highway and it's actually been very heartening to see most cars loaded up with their pets. We were at the gas station earlier today and there was one compact car there will all kinds of bird cages filling up the back seat. The passenger in the front seat had another one on his lap. There was barely room in there for the people, but they made sure they were taking their birds with them. I was so happy to see that.

Most of the animals that get picked up after the storm will be strays, I think so hopefully, with all the publicity, they will finally find loving homes. We have a HUGE stray cat problem so I think we will have a lot of cats at our rescue center.

Icerotti

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2005, 01:38:19 pm »
I live right by the highway and it's actually been very heartening to see most cars loaded up with their pets. We were at the gas station earlier today and there was one compact car there will all kinds of bird cages filling up the back seat. The passenger in the front seat had another one on his lap. There was barely room in there for the people, but they made sure they were taking their birds with them. I was so happy to see that.

Most of the animals that get picked up after the storm will be strays, I think so hopefully, with all the publicity, they will finally find loving homes. We have a HUGE stray cat problem so I think we will have a lot of cats at our rescue center.

That makes me sad to think of all those poor pets people could not take with them. It must be very traumatic and tramatizing for the fur babies. Best wishes to you in weathering out the storm and all the work you will be doing after with the rescues.
Michelle

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2005, 02:01:34 pm »
I have one more load of laundry to do.  We have one last room to board up, the sunroom/furbabie room.  I hate the way you can not make yourself go far from the TV weather.  Check back in a little while.
Lisa

I worry about people leaving their pets behind....that's so scary to me....hopefull y everyone has a way to get their pets out. Unfortunately a lot of shelters don't accept pets, which is lame. People tell you to evacuate and don't forget your pets, but won't let you take your pets with you....so what do you do?

We boarded up the windows. yay ! I'm about to do some laundry.....

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2005, 02:12:59 pm »
I just heard the eye is supposed to hit Houma.  :o

That should be fun. NOT!

I'm glad I found the ice cube tray so I can start making the appletinis in about an hour.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2005, 02:21:41 pm »
jjfritsche,  make me one ;D  Looks like with the size of this storm we are all going to be in for a looooooooong night.  Are you in a high area? 

Lisa

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2005, 02:26:22 pm »
We are about as high as you can be in Terrebonne Parish. We have a brick house built when they still built houses with care instead of quickly. The neighbors all say it's never flooded back here. The only thing I'm really worried about is the cat porch and the roof. It's about time to reshingle anyway...

Hubby's cooking up the steaks and red beans that were in the freezer so at least we'll be eating good tonight. I just hope the electricity and water holds out.

Dogs have finally calmed down and are snoozing right now.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2005, 02:38:52 pm »
I hope so too.  I boarded up all my windows by myself.  I was very proud (those things are heavy) ;)  Of course Winston was keeping a watchful eye on mommy.  Everyone else has been really wanting to stay inside.  I keep telling them you might as well go out now because you wont be able to go out agian.  I bathed all 8 of the horses and they have been fed and put in their stalls.  I am marinating my steaks.( good choice jeanne)  The only thing really left i have to do is two loads of laundry.  But i think it is time for a well deserved break and a corona. ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2005, 02:39:53 pm »
Windows are boarded, I just put the beer in the keg and it's pressurized and should be carbonated soon.   

We have reef tanks and I'll be darned if I'm gonna leave those without power and no way to get back and crank up the gen.  A lot of people in our local reef club lost their tanks to Ivan, because they left town and could not get back to do anything about them and no power.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2005, 02:43:15 pm »
yea that is why i got battery operated equipment from Petsmart