Author Topic: Rawhides  (Read 17208 times)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: Rawhides
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2005, 08:31:28 am »
i never use rawhide bones
ive heard so many horror stories about them getting wraped in the intestines.
as for marrow bones, they are my dogs favorite, but i cook them, never raw.
every one has the pros and cons
what ever works for your dogs, i say stick with it
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

mcenter

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2005, 12:25:17 pm »
I've been looking online at those sweet potato chews that were mentioned above...they are called "Sams Yams" and I think I am going to try them for my crew...first I will see if I can buy them locally, but the website doesnt list retailers...

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2005, 02:49:24 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions for good, safe chewies?  I've tried Nylabones but Seamus doesn't really like them.  Our vet said rawhides are okay as long as they are big enough for him not to ingest a lot at one time.  We buy those HUGE rawhides from petsmart.  We haven't had any problems yet, but if he shouldn't have them i'll stop.  He needs something to chew on when he is board though, and only edible stuff seems to work.  Any ideas?

mcenter

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 06:23:35 pm »
I know, Ive been wondering the same thing....I am going to try the sweet potato chews...I will let you all know how they work out!

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2005, 06:51:51 pm »
Well...I just got my shipment of dog chews from SitStay.com and I have to say that the Sams Yams did not go over so well.  I thought Austy would love them since he drools a puddle whenever I make yams for dinner!  He just kinda crunched them up and spit them out all over the carpet.  Not enough butter I guess  ;)  The favorite chewy in my house are still the icelandic fish skins, hands (PAWS) down!!! Vizslas are big chewers so I like to keep a variety of edible chews around. Heres our chewy ranking list:
Elinoras Royal Fish Skins***** Yummmmm
Texas Toothpicks*****
Grandpaws  *****
Macho (bully) sticks **** only Zoey likes these
lamb ears*** dont really last long enough
rabbit ears*** new to us ... wait oh they're gone (not long lasting)
marrow bones ** Zoey just likes to drop them  on the hard floor in the middle of the night!
Sams Yams* these sounded so good

I'd love to know how the sweet potato chews work out for you.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »
Tulsa gets Pig Ears , once a day after our training session. Jerky Treats are her fave and used for incentive when training. I have rawhide bones, made in USA, but she doesn't like them as much as she used to, as she matures her tastes have changed. About the same time she stopped liking the rawhides, she stopped eating my 'sneakers'! YAY!!!
J ;D
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman