Author Topic: Looking for a durable chew toy that will keep a dog's interest  (Read 8462 times)

Offline Enigma66

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Looking for a durable chew toy that will keep a dog's interest
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:24:24 pm »
Hi all - I'm in need of a chew toy for my Mastiff that will hold his interest for more than 5 min, but also be durable.  He likes Nylabones, but he only chews on them for about 5 min at a time before he gets bored.  He has the standard Kong toy but doesn't play with it much, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.  What about one of the toys that you can hide a dog cookie in?  How long does it take before they can get it out?  Rawhide is out, obviously, so I'm open to whatever suggestions you have.  Thanks.

Chris

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a durable chew toy that will keep a dog's interest
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:39:17 pm »
How long it takes to get the cookie out really depends on what type of cookie/toy and how smart the dog is. My dog zoey hates the classic kongs because they are hard to get the treat out and she gets bored and gives up, but she loves the ufo treat dispenser because it is challenging but not too hard for her....

My number one recommendation is the Paw Tracks tire with rope. They are made of real tire material so they are practically indestructable, and the one with the rope has many uses (chew, tug, thing to shake back and forth) that it can keep a dogs attention for awhile. It is zoey's very favorite toy.

Another of Zoey's favorites is the nobbly wobbly on a rope. I also find that zoey really loves the plain old cotton tug ropes, and they last a long time too.
RIP former BPO

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:47:59 pm »
My dobes love their Kong toys when I put little bits of dog cookie (small enough to come back out of the hole) and stick it all in there w/ peanut butter!  The Paws Tracks toy is great, too. Sasha loves to try to chew it up, and we've had it for over 2 months now, and hardly even a tooth mark on it.  Not from lack of trying, tho.  Sasha is our resident "destroyer" and stuffies or rope toys dont have a chance.  She turns them into mounds of cotton and string, and will eat the string if we dont take it away from her.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:47:44 pm »
Indestructible depends on the individual dog. At 6 months Strider absolutely destroyed one of the rope/tire toys. I have given up finding anything that he will not reduce to rubble in 30 minutes or less. I just keep a steady stream of toys coming, and they disappear when he has trashed them. If you live in a warm climate,remove all the extra plastic and fill one of the litre bottles with water and freeze. Throw it uncapped outside and watch the soccer game that results. That has been one of my most successful toys.
Stella

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:23:48 pm »
I haven't met a dog yet that could resist a great big fresh shank soup bone  It keeps them occupied for hours and they return to it for days, carry it around , bury it, dig it back up and so on

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:30:26 pm »
Dazy loves water bottles (she's still a pup) with wrapper, and lid removed.  She loves the noise it makes.   That's her favorite.  Then I just toss it when it's flattened.

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:48:20 am »
Hi all,
have you seen or heard of a rubber bone called 'busy buddy'? It is the kind of material a kong is made out of and you can fill it with treats. There are some 'hair kind of pieces' that will keep the treats inside and make it trickier to get them out. My dogs loves that thing and keeps himself occupied with it much longer than a kong or nylabone.
Hedda

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:00:12 pm »
The only thing my guy hasn't destroyed is the Boingo Ball from PetSmart.  His all time favorites are plastic bottles and meat bones.  The only problem with the bottle is, while drinking a pop, he sits and waits for you to finish.   I hate getting the bug eye from him.

The tire toy did last pretty long - all of 22 minutes.  We always time him when he gets a new toy to see how long it will take for total destruction. 

Don't let the avatar fool you, Nola is almost 10 months and about 140 lbs.  He's our big bruiser.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:20:34 pm »
The tire toy did last pretty long - all of 22 minutes.  We always time him when he gets a new toy to see how long it will take for total destruction. 

Are you sure it was a paw tracks tire toy? I have seen other brands in petsmart that are tire shaped, but not made out of real tire material. I would be shocked if a paw tracks one was destroyed that quickly
RIP former BPO

Offline Enigma66

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:37:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 03:11:36 pm »
My guys like the raw bones you can get at the pet store. I stuff cheese, and/or liver treats way down into them, and they'll spend a long time trying to get the stuff out. The biggest problem with them in my house, is I have hardwood floors, and when they drop the bone, it echos through the whole house. ;D

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 03:41:17 pm »
Well you can get a big dog kong and you can either get fillers or you can fill it yourself with peanut butter what dog can't resist that!?!?!?!?!??!?
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 10:00:09 pm »
About the only things that have lasted with the girls are the busy buddy toys, a giant rope ball, and the smoked bones from the pet store.  Kaila and Cinder love the bones.  They will chew on them for days. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline MurphDane

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 05:18:43 pm »
I was just searching the web today for this very thing (a durable toy-preferably squeaky) that would last for more than a few hours and I came across this web site:

https://secure.edogtoy.com/~admin3/index.html

They're called "Tuffies", and I'm just wondering if anyone has tried them?  If so, did they live up to their billing?  (Supposedly almost indestructible)  I would love to hear about anyone's experiences if they have tried them.....

Thanks!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 01:39:27 am »
The hollow smokey bones are awesome!!!....They last my dogs for months & the Great Pyrenees have more pressue in their jaws than a Pitbull!