Author Topic: Does This Sound Odd To You All?  (Read 7869 times)

Lyn

Does This Sound Odd To You All?
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:28:26 am »
I found a female Saint that someone is looking to rehome. She sounds perfect, obedience trained, good with kids and other animals, no hip/health problems that they are aware of, housetrained, kennel trained ect..

When I asked about an adoption fee I am told to make an offer!! ??? What the heck.. she's not a car. I haven't replied back to them yet.. because I really don't know what to say. I'm more than willing to give this girl a good home and pay an adoption fee. But make an offer!!?? How should I reply to that? 

Does this sound odd.. or is it just me?

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does This Sound Odd To You All?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:34:37 am »
Maybe the dog got dumped on them.  Maybe she's been at a back-yard breeder's and can no longer produce pups?  Sounds like they will take whatever they can get!

If you have it in your heart to bring this girl home, at least go check her out.  You may get a wonderful saint for a very good deal (non reg. pups are going for about $550 to $600 while reg. pups are $1800 CDN).

Go check her out!!  Sounds like she would be better off with you anyway!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:46:27 am »
She's only 7 months old.. and are rehoming her due to financial reasons. She isn't spayed yet.. but I can take her in for that. As far as I know they have had her since she was a baby.

I'll just email them back and ask how much they are looking to get for her. I'm not making an offer.. It just doesn't seem right to me.. It makes it sound like she's just an object.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:57:51 am »
Don't get on your high horse, make an offer. It's not the dog's fault the people are stupid, it's not the dog's fault they're making her seem like "just an object".  You're a good home, right? If you get snitty with the people about the way they're going about this, the dog may go to someone who will BREED her to death in their back yard, or worse. Offer what you think you can afford, what you would pay if they asked, and take the dog away from that situation.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 06:58:30 am »
I saw an add a few weeks ago for a 10 month old male saint pup in the Niagara region.  They were asking $50 - because he got too big!  Huh??  Some people make you wonder........ .

I hope you get her!!  Sounds like they do not care about her anyway........ poor girl!

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:00:51 am »
That sounds a little odd to me, you would think they would know what they want for her??? Maybe they are having financial problems to the point that she is the only posession they have that is worth anything and they are just trying to see how big of a price they can get for her?
Just a thought! People do desparate things when they need money!!! I think you should do what you said and ask what kind of offer they are looking for! I think she needs you to give her a forever home! GOOD LUCK!!!!
Carole

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 07:53:56 am »
Offer $50 and the chance for them to live....Ok, just kidding.  Make an offer.  Regardless of how they make it seem, they may really not know what to ask and they may be so overwhelmed with financial concerns that this is the least of the priorities.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:36 am »
I know it sounds awful on the surface, but she does sound like she was taken care of very well. She is housebroken and kennel trained, which means she was kept indoors and not in a backyard kennel with little attention. They took her to obedience school and made sure her hips were tested so they cared about her safety and health.

Sometimes people fall on hard times and have to make very difficult decisions. If (God Forbid) things ever got so bad I had to make the heart-wrenching decision to rehome my dogs I could never put a price on them. I think that may be why they are just asking for an offer. How can you put a price on your failure to love and protect something that was so dear to you.

I would explain to them that you will need to pay $xx for the spay so you can only afford to give them $xxx for an adoption fee, but you can guarantee she will be spoiled rotten and never want for anything. I actually applaud them for asking for an adoption fee - people do not tend to value what they get for free and they must want her to be a valued part of someone's household.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:58:56 am »
They might just be really confused and don't know what to ask for an adoption fee. Just imagine it as if they said, "adoption fee negotiable."
When Leeloo came to us, Will's first impression of the previous owner was awful just judging by the classified ad. But upon meeting her and talking to her she was a really nice lady who just couldn't handle the responsibility of a huge dog anymore and was sincerely looking for a great new home for Leeloo. (Lucky us!) :)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:29:25 am »
I agree with Doghealer, sometimes it is really hard to get across the meaning with written words. A phone call or a visit would probably clear up the confusion. When we rescued Hutch at ten months, his adoption fee was $100, and he was already neutered. It wasn't the money that they were after, it was a good FOREVER home. I swear that they wanted to know everything about us, EVERYTHING!!! Good luck!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:16:13 am »
I don't think they are bad people at all. I just have a hard time putting a price on a pet. Offering $50 or $100 on someones cherished pet is just awkward to me. I think I would be insulted if someone offered me $50 for Bubba because in my mind he's priceless. Bubba is never going anywhere.. but I know you all know what I mean. 

I just got an email back and I'll just paste what she says.. She's definitely is a caring owner. ""we were thinking 300$ plus we will bring her down to you, where are you located? also just wondering if your male is fixed and if you are planning of geting her spayed. I wish i could do it before trying to find her a home but cant.

Now comes my dilemma.. Bubba is not fixed yet, he will be done at 2. Once I tell this lady that Bubba is not yet fixed she is going to assume.. I know I would probably assume the same thing. She doesn't know me from a hole in the ground. The female is 7 months old.. so I have some time to let her settle in before taking her in to be spayed.

I still have to talk to my hubby yet also. He may have other plans. He's been talking Newfie lately again. But I saw this girl and I had to find out about her.

I will let you all know what happens...

Here's a pic of her.. she's a half mask, rough coat. I still don't know her name though.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:20:34 am »
I would do just what you're doing. Did you already have a maximum amount in mind for an adoption fee if you found a Saint in a shelter? If so, ask for anything below that. Otherwise, leave it up to them and if it's too high, I am pretty sure they will be open to negotiating. I got my Dolly for $100 cheaper because I was willing (and the breeder was too!) try and work the price out with them. She sounds like a great dog though! Best wishes!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:58 am »
She is completely up to date on her shots. She just needs to be spayed. And I'm assuming that's going to run about $250ish? depending on her weight.

I don't want to get too carried away because hubby could still say no. He's the one dishing out the adoption fee so I can't really overrule him if he does say no. :-\

$300 does seem a bit steep to me since she's not spayed. If my hubby says yes I'll see what I can negotiate.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 09:36:26 am »
She's REALLY cute!!!

(I had my heart set on a girl just like her before we picked out Teddy.  She looks so similar to the girl I wanted that I even went back to check old pics but the mask was the opposite side.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:39:16 am by PennyK »

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 09:46:45 am »
I just checked hoobly and she's not on there. The only ad under Saints is for some saint mix puppies.. which looks to be a puppy mill, go figure. >:(

In my last post I posted her email and they are asking $300 including delivering her to my home. So they kinda of would be doing a home check at the same time. Which also shows me they do care where she is going.