Author Topic: fumble's limping  (Read 58045 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: fumble's limping
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 02:01:30 pm »
Poor Fumble!  So sorry to hear that he has to have surgery on both legs.  I hope he starts feeling better really soon.  Lots of big hugs to both you and him plus get well wishes.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 02:12:23 pm »
look at it this way.  he'll get it ALL over with at one time.  Lady had one done then the other 6 months later.  that was a pain. 
he will be just fine.  :)  big hug to your boy!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 02:53:15 pm »
Poor baby Fumble! I am sorry that you and Stacey have to go through this too. I wish you all a safe & speedy recovery. At least we know your boy will still entertain you in everyday- lips flapping in the wind to and from the surgery & of course making you dote on him hand-n-foot with goodies.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 03:17:31 pm »
Wishing you all the best of luck...Fumbs couldn't be in better hands.  He is going to be even more spoiled rotten after all of this!!!!   ;)

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 06:20:45 pm »
Ohhhh poor Fumble!!!! (((Biggest Huggles)) and ((big Huggles)) to stressed momma as well!!! here's to a fast and speedy recovery!! 
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 07:06:46 pm »
We are sending love and kisses to Fumble!!!  How is he this morning.  We noticed that when ever we took Cirra to the vet regarding her partially torn ACL she was always worse after the vets cranked on her leg.  Erin asked that anyone who has had experience with this surgery PM her. Could any one with expereience regarding ACL injuries also post to the board.  This is a topic that we are very interested in.  A couple of questions???  Did the vets observe Fumble's gait?  It wasn't until we took Cirra to a holistic vet this Winter for an assessment that any vet ever looked at her gait and watched her move.  We found this to be quite curious???  What did the vets say about Fumble's feet?  What age was Fumble neutered?  Cirra was spayed at 8 months and we believe that was a mistake and possibly a contributing factor.  She grew very slowly and was a bit of a "wild child" so it may have just been an active dog injury.  Yes, anesthesia in large breeds is an issue of major concern. It seems that Fumble is very sensitive and remind the vets to note that in his chart.  As we remember Fumble has had some allergies in the past???  Has he been on many anti-inflammatory drugs?  One complication to an ACL surgery of any type is a reaction to the hardware used so you may want to let the surgeon know about any allergies.  There is a Conservative Management Yahoo Group that can provide some information regarding that approach.  As I recall there is some good information in their links and files sections.  There will be information on rehab there also.  If possible you may want to talk with some canine rehab folks who can give you a better idea of what to expect following any surgery.  We encourage you to ask questions!!!  We also have to agree that it seems unusal to have two ACL tears occur at the same time.  Good luck and keep us all posted. 

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 11:21:23 pm »
update:  taking fumble to the emergency side of the vet today... the vet tech said that it wouldn't be until the 21st of may that we could get in to see the surgeon, and i don't want to wait that long!!  definately not!!  so she said i can call and we can bring him in... so i'm going to call this afternoon when the other tech comes on.  i guess the surgeon is renound in the northeast, apparently people call from all over to see him, so that's a good sign! i definately will ask a bunch of questions, and stacy's going to be with me too so she makes up for where i do! 

the vet did look at his gait, they had me take him outside to look at it and everything.  feet are fine, they checked out, i think it was because they were wet that it was pink when i took him that day.  i will aslo definately let them know about the allergies and the anetheisia (sp?) sensitivity!  i'll post this PM to let you all know!!  and rehab is a BIG thing for me! cause i want PT and pain management not just a pat on the back wheni pick him up.  i'm also going to do some research on hydotherapy too.  thanks again for all your info!! 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:21:48 pm by Fumble »
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2007, 12:21:56 am »
what GREAT luck!  i'm so glad things are working out!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2007, 01:26:17 am »
Just reading about Fumble today, hope things are going ok. I saw a hydrotherapy clip with a Newfie on YouTube awhile ago...the dog seemed to be loving it!

Anakalia

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2007, 05:40:04 am »
Just read all the updates and I'll make sure to keep Fumbs in my thoughts!  I'm still sending tons of positive get well soon vibes his way!  :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2007, 07:45:56 am »
well... update number 2 for the day.  i called the vet to make sure that it was okay that we came still and that they weren't too busy this afternoon, when the tech answered she said that the vet was actually upset that she told us we could come down on an emergency basis and that it woudl probably be better to wait till monday.  I feel bad cause the she got in trouble for suggesting that we come today and just as an emergency visit.  i was kinda uspet because i really DON'T want to have to wait till the 21st to see the surgeon, the poor guy can barely walk now as is.  i think he could sense my nerves too, cause i went to lay down and stacy said he was all upset cause i disappeared.  so i guess on monday the surgeon's asst. is going to call me and we can hopefully get an appt earlier, i mean come now how many dogs tear the acl's in both legs at the same time, it's not like he can really put the weight on the other leg.  he didn't poop either for like 36 hours, and i think it's because it's so painful.  hopefully they call on monday early and we can get in at a decent time.  poor guy, we just feel so awful for him.  you can just tell he's in pain now!  :( 

thanks again for everyone's well wishes.. fumble and we DEFINATELY appreciate them!!!  we wish you were all here in person just to give a hug to!!!
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2007, 07:48:19 am »
have aggravating!  i hate it when people do that :(
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2007, 03:38:15 am »
Just wondering how Fumble is today?

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2007, 05:13:26 am »
oh he's doing okay... moseying along.  he is still stiff and limping, but we're just trying to keep him on the low for the day... hopefully we'll get a call tomorrow from the surgeon! thanks for asking though!! :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:13:50 am by Fumble »

Icerotti

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:44 am »
AWwww I am so sorry to hear about Fumbles troubles. Poor guy ..to get 2 at once :'(  We are keeping the big guy and his family in our thoughts. Hope he has a speedy recovery.  :-*